Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radian binding problem

Options
  • 18-07-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I having problems re-binding my radian glider with my spectrum dx5e.It binds ok but the elevator control is now on the left stick and the rudder works when I move the right stick up and down.I checked the receiver and all the parts are plugged into their appropriate slot.Anybody know what's wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Your defently sure they are not mixed up? It fairly tight for space were they plug in so it might be a bit hard to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Take out all of the servo plugs from the receiver and reinsert them one by one starting with the motor. Make sure you put them in the right way round. The servo wire from the rudder goes into the "Aileron" port (the rudder is normally on the left stick of the transmitter for most models but on the right stick for the Radian, hence why it is plugged into the aileron port instead of the rudder port) and the elevator goes into the "Elevator" port on the Radian so you have control of the moving surfaces through the right stick of your DX5e. This should get you back up and running. It would be a good idea to check that all the control surfaces are working in the correct direction once the rebinding is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Thanks for the replies,got it sorted.The rudder wire was in the rudder port.Is the elevator meant to go down when I move the control down or is it the opposite way it should go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,got it sorted.The rudder wire was in the rudder port.Is the elevator meant to go down when I move the control down or is it the opposite way it should go?

On 3 channel planes the rudder will be in the aileron socket. So it is a 3 channel (original) radian i assume.

The elevator should go up when you pull the elevator stick toward you on the radio.

Are you going to try flying this? It sounds like you would be needing assistance before trying it.

Push the elevator control forward (away from you) and the elevator should go down and the plane descends. Pull the stick back towards you and the elevator goes up and the plane climbs.

I know of someone who was so eager to get a new plane in the air that he forgot to check the elevator travel direction and so when he pulled back to climb,......... well lets just say it was a real short flight:o:D

• Advertisement

My best one was taking off and forgetting to extend the 35mhz aerial:eek:. Also a short flight. A long time ago though, in the phoenix park.

Push the elevator control forward (away from you) and the elevator should go down and the plane descends. Pull the stick back towards you and the elevator goes up and the plane climbs.

I know of someone who was so eager to get a new plane in the air that he forgot to check the elevator travel direction and so when he pulled back to climb,......... well lets just say it was a real short flight:o:D

Thanks I had the transmitter set up for the trojan,the elevator control on the transmitter needs to be set in opposite way when flying the radian.

Ps I ordered the 160 mah batteries from hobbyking,10 for €15 delivered should keep me flying for a while :D

Thanks I had the transmitter set up for the trojan,the elevator control on the transmitter needs to be set in opposite way when flying the radian.

Ps I ordered the 160 mah batteries from hobbyking,10 for €15 delivered should keep me flying for a while :D

Must be a micro trojan is it?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Must be a micro trojan is it?

Yes it is. I wonder where he bought it;)

Once he masters the micro Trojan, then he should look at buying its big brother which is a great introduction to warbirds.

Alternatively he could buy a DX6i which would allow him to bind his planes just the once and then it would be a matter of clicking some buttons on the transmitter to select which plane he wants to fly. It takes a lot of fiddling out of equation with having to bind a plane, make sure its control surfaces are set up correctly, re-trimming the plane each time etc etc etc.

Yes it is. I wonder where he bought it;)

Once he masters the micro Trojan, then he should look at buying its big brother which is a great introduction to warbirds.

Alternatively he could buy a DX6i which would allow him to bind his planes just the once and then it would be a matter of clicking some buttons on the transmitter to select which plane he wants to fly. It takes a lot of fiddling out of equation with having to bind a plane, make sure its control surfaces are set up correctly, re-trimming the plane each time etc etc etc.

Yea they are great them DX6i`s. I got one for my lad at xmas. If they think they are going to continue on in the flying, its definitely the way to go alright.

• Advertisement

Think I will have to get invest in the dx6i alright.I brought the trojan for a flight after binding the radian and forgot to check the trims and the plane struggled to turn right ,luckily and I was flying in a big space and manged to land it without any damage.

I was flying a few days ago and the second led on the dx5e lit up,I thought this was a indication of low batteries so I put 4 new batteries into it and it still came on.Anybody know what's wrong?

Think I will have to get invest in the dx6i alright.I brought the trojan for a flight after binding the radian and forgot to check the trims and the plane struggled to turn right ,luckily and I was flying in a big space and manged to land it without any damage.

I was flying a few days ago and the second led on the dx5e lit up,I thought this was a indication of low batteries so I put 4 new batteries into it and it still came on.Anybody know what's wrong?

That should not be a problem, they should be ok down to the red light, at which point landing would be required, but i would change them when the 3rd green comes on. I must do a check as to what voltage they are at when the 3rd green lights.

Thanks Robbie that's good to know ,they are rechargeable batteries which maybe why it goes straight to the second led ?

Did you ever receive anything from hobbyking that was delivered by swiss post?I ordered batteries and the tracking just says left country of origin and hasn't changed since Monday,just wondering how long they should take.

Don't hold your breath waiting on Hobbyking. Some of my orders have taken four weeks to arrive. They're still a hell of a lot cheaper than anyone else, if you don't mind waiting :D

FYI
    My loss of control with my Radian happened when the batteries got too weak. The DX5 lights were on the second from the right, which is more than you're showing. I use energiser lithiums now as they last for months. The trouble with rechargables is that one minute, they're fine, the next you could lose power. The DX6i has a battery power indicator that let's you know how much juice is left in your tx's batteries. Spektrum advise changing the batteries once they get down to 4.8v.

You could do a range check to see if you have control out past 30 paces.

Thanks Robbie that's good to know ,they are rechargeable batteries which maybe why it goes straight to the second led ?

Did you ever receive anything from hobbyking that was delivered by swiss post?I ordered batteries and the tracking just says left country of origin and hasn't changed since Monday,just wondering how long they should take.

I actually had rechargeables mentioned in my reply , asking if thats what you were using, but removed it because i then seen you had new batteries mentioned and assumed non rechargeables.

I used rechargeables in the dx5e all the time, without a problem.

Rechargables will drop to the second light(third from left) quicker than standard AA`s, as fresh off the charger they drop a little even when not in use, but they will then remain steady for longer at this position. But as soon as they drop to the 3rd light(second from left), you would want to land and recharge.

Another problem with nimh ones is they discharge a bit while not in use, so if you left it a week or 2, you should then recharge, even if you did not use since the last re-charge.

The rechargables have a nominal(middle between full charge and discharge) voltage of 1.2, but this is the minimum level i would let them go to before charging.

Don't hold your breath waiting on Hobbyking. Some of my orders have taken four weeks to arrive. They're still a hell of a lot cheaper than anyone else, if you don't mind waiting :D

FYI
    My loss of control with my Radian happened when the batteries got too weak. The DX5 lights were on the second from the right, which is more than you're showing.

I think he means by the second light that its the 3rd from the left. The first to light with new batteries is the 4th from left, second is 3rd from left, or 2nd from right.

You lost control at second from right? Thats just 1 down from new batteries? They should of been fine at that.

Anyway all of them problems are gone with the DX6i, which has a regulator in it, and a proper volt meter. Im not sure about the dx5e with regard to a regulator.

Yup. My Rad sailed off by herself while I was on the 3rd light from the left or second from the right, whichever way you want to look at it (made me distrust the DX5 which is one if the reasons I bought the DX6i). Anyways I'm fairly paranoid about having fresh batteries in my tx and doing a range check before flight. I replaced the stock AR500 rx with a AR6200 with satellite to give a better all round reception. At the height and distance I fly the Rad, I want the best possible radiolink.

Yup. My Rad sailed off by herself while I was on the 3rd light from the left or second from the right, whichever way you want to look at it (made me distrust the DX5 which is one if the reasons I bought the DX6i). Anyways I'm fairly paranoid about having fresh batteries in my tx and doing a range check before flight. I replaced the stock AR500 rx with a AR6200 with satellite to give a better all round reception. At the height and distance I fly the Rad, I want the best possible radiolink.

I dont blame ye being paranoid with that outcome with only the second light in sequence from full being lit, there should be plenty of time with that lit. I would usually fly with that lit no bother, and land then with the 3rd in sequence lit.

Im not sure what the regulator situation in the dx5e is. If it does not have one, then its range would diminish with the battery reduction, but it would have some output for longer.

Its important to note therefor, that the range check distance in a radio like the dx6i or any radio with a voltage regulator wont diminish as the battery level reduces, it would just suddenly stop working, so a low battery will still give full range check distance.

The range of these spektrum radios is a lot further than you would think though. I have heard the range check button diminishes the output power by 1000 times. If true, the real range would be about 30 times the range check range anyway. I seen one of the radios work at over 4kms.

My DX6i shows the battery power level (with fresh batteries) around the 7.2v mark. The Spektrum manual says the batteries should be replaced whe they get down to 4.8v. I don't think the led indicator lights were working correctly in my DX5 because (as you may remember;)), you gave me my first flight lesson in February 2010 and I was still using the same batteries in August 2010 when the Rad sailed away. That was pushing it considering I was flying for about an hour, 2 - 3 times a week, every week. Just to be sure, I also replaced the receiver with an upgraded one with a satellite rx.

I understand what you're saying about the range check being "fooled" by weak batteries. However, I do the range check to make sure the receiver is working ok and I go out to over 40 paces to make sure.

I've heard that the Spekkie radios can work at extreme range but when I had my flyaway last August, the Rad was only a couple of hundred feet up and just 100feet out in front of me. I was standing on a hill with clear line of sight so it wasn't a case that it flew below a ridgeline or the signal was blocked by trees.

I guess the moral of the story is if you are using a DX5e, make sure your batteries are fully charged (if rechargable) or you have a fresh set of alkalines in your tx, and do a range check to make sure your rx is working correctly. Finally, make sure the control surfaces are operating in the correct direction. This is especially important if switching between planes where the sliders under the on/off button may need to be reversed. These are just some of the reasons why a DX6i makes life so much easier;)

I understand what you're saying about the range check being "fooled" by weak batteries. However, I do the range check to make sure the receiver is working ok and I go out to over 40 paces to make sure.

I wouldnt say it gets fooled as such, i was just saying that passing the range check wont mean the batteries are good. A 3.3v regulator such as the dx7 has, needs 3.3v or more into it to give out the steady 3.3v to power the actual transmitting circuit, so when the batteries for example reach 4v, they are well discharged, but while still above the 3.3v, the range check will still be full, but the batteries will be quickly running down, and the transmitting will just suddenly stop, and drop from full to nothing, rather than gradually diminish.
    I've heard that the Spekkie radios can work at extreme range but when I had my flyaway last August, the Rad was only a couple of hundred feet up and just 100feet out in front of me. I was standing on a hill with clear line of sight so it wasn't a case that it flew below a ridgeline or the signal was blocked by trees.

Yes they have a range of several km`s, but your one must of had battery indication problems by the look of it as you say. If the tx aerial is pointed directly at the plane, the receiver can lose the signal even at just a few hundred meters. It can be shown during a range check.

Try it with the aerial perpendicular to the plane, and again pointing the aerial straight at it. Its to do with the radio transmission polarity. The signal area is shaped somewhat like a huge apple of a few km`s diameter, with the upper foldable part of the aerial as the core, so no signal is transmitted from a line exactly in line with where the aerial is pointing

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads.The are new re-chargeable batteries sorry for the confusion.

I was having a look for the spectrum dx6i and found one in leitrim but he wont ship to Ireland only the uk:confused:.I will try to get one in an auction as the seem to appear quiet regularly.Can the dx6 be connected to the dx5 to teach someone else how to fly?

The shipping time with hoppyking seems to be extremly slow alright,the parcel hasn't moved since last Monday.I ordered an neck strap last week off ebay and had it today from Hong-Kong.

Can the dx6 be connected to the dx5 to teach someone else how to fly?

Yes it can. We often use the dx5e as the second radio for others to have a go at flying.

You can buy a trainer cord to connect a DX5 and DX6 together. I use one to teach my girl how to fly my Radian and Supercub. If she gets into bother, I just have to release the trainer switch on my DX6 and I have instant control. Best way to teach someone how to fly.

How much are you willing to spend on the DX6i Illyuishin? I know a guy (not me!) who was selling one a while back. Don't know if he did sell it.

I understand what you mean about the cone of silence that comes from the tip of the tx aerial. It's the same principal that I was taught when I graduated as an air traffic controller in the late 80's. This not only affects radio waves but also radar because if a plane flies over a radar, it becomes "invisible" until it moves out of the cone of silence. The higher the plane, the bigger the dead space above the radar (think of it like an inverted pyramid).

Yea i have the same if i fly directly overhead of the ground station for video reception. If i am doing a high overhead flight i would lie the video tx aerial flat or at 45 degrees instead of vertical. but i would then also have to watch for the rotation of the plane compared to the polarity of the patchBut we dont rally do that, so we keep it vertical.

I forgot about your air traffic controller training. The odd time when the radian orientates so the video tx aerial points at the ground station patch aerial, the signal goes, just for an instant, or may fade a little.

The spektrum trainer cord is just a lead with mono 3.5 jack plugs on it. They can be easily made or got on ebay etc.

How much are you willing to spend on the DX6i Illyuishin? I know a guy (not me!) who was selling one a while back. Don't know if he did sell it.

I don't really know Dave the seem to be retailing around 150 online.If he still has it for sale and the price is right I would be interested.

What type of velcro were you using on the batteries for the trojan?

I don't really know Dave the seem to be retailing around 150 online.If he still has it for sale and the price is right I would be interested.

What type of velcro were you using on the batteries for the trojan?

I checked with him and its sold Eoghan. However I found a place selling a new one for £99 +shipping which comes to £113 in total http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/index.asp?function=CART&ECD=2967&productid=

I've bought lots from this guy and he's very reliable.

If you want to save a quid then there's these guys:http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/basket.php

They are a little slower with delivery but they get there in the end;)

You could try fleabay but I'd be wary about buying second hand from someone you don't know in case the tx has been dropped for example. What about a local club that might have a member selling one (and you could go back to if there's a problem with it)?

With regard to the velcro, I bought some in Hickeys drapery shop in Dublin but it didn't stick too well so I bought a 1 metre roll from Hobbyking (for a euro!) which sticks too well as its a bitch to get off:D. Still its cheap and has all sorts of uses such as sticking receivers in a plane so they can be easily transplanted to another, sticking a camera to a wing and of course for sticking the battery so it doesn't move. A guy I know had his battery "eject" itself from his plane yesterday. Luckily the plane crashed with very little damage. A loose battery can quickly bring a plane down by upsetting the centre of gravity.

I checked with him and its sold Eoghan. However I found a place selling a new one for £99 +shipping which comes to £113 in total http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/index.asp?function=CART&ECD=2967&productid=

I've bought lots from this guy and he's very reliable.

If you want to save a quid then there's these guys:http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/basket.php

They are a little slower with delivery but they get there in the end;)

You could try fleabay but I'd be wary about buying second hand from someone you don't know in case the tx has been dropped for example. What about a local club that might have a member selling one (and you could go back to if there's a problem with it)?

With regard to the velcro, I bought some in Hickeys drapery shop in Dublin but it didn't stick too well so I bought a 1 metre roll from Hobbyking (for a euro!) which sticks too well as its a bitch to get off:D. Still its cheap and has all sorts of uses such as sticking receivers in a plane so they can be easily transplanted to another, sticking a camera to a wing and of course for sticking the battery so it doesn't move. A guy I know had his battery "eject" itself from his plane yesterday. Luckily the plane crashed with very little damage. A loose battery can quickly bring a plane down by upsetting the centre of gravity.

Thanks for the links.I will try flying the radian some evening and see how I get on.If it goes good I will order the dx6i if not I will stick with dx5 and the trojan for a while.There isn't much point in a second remote if I can only fly one plane .

I got the batteries from hobbyking this morning and stuck some velcro I had lying around the house on them and it kept peeling off.I will order some from hobbyking ,hopefully their quicker this time.

Its a bit of a lottery with Hobbyking when it comes to delivery. I've gotten stuff inside two weeks but have waited up to five weeks for an order.

The DX6i is a far superior tx to the DX5e and I'd heartily recommend that it be your next investment if you stay with this hobby.

You might be interested to know that Hobbyking have just released a new range of warbirds that sit between the micro planes like your Trojan and the Parkzone range of "full size" warbirds. They are getting great reviews, they look very nice and they are very cheap, around €46 (plus delivery but if you're ordering velcro anyway.....?;):D)
    Me109
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17945__Messerschmitt_BF109E_w_Stand_650mm_PNF_.html

Spitfire
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17946__Spitfire_MkIXC_w_Stand_650mm_PNF_.html

Focke Wolf 190
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18081__FW190D_Focke_Wulf_650mm_w_Stand_PNF.html

And there's a Ju87 Stuka on the way soon.

Have to admit that I'm tempted to buy one as I'll be ordering some new batteries anyways:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I looked at those warbirds and was interested for a bit.
    Then I noticed the battery .... a 2S 600-800.
    That sounds more like like indoorfly rather than parkfly power, considering Irish weather requirements I mean, or maybe designed for a continental country like France, Spain, with no wind.

What did you have in the Trojan?

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    I looked at those warbirds and was interested for a bit.
    Then I noticed the battery .... a 2S 600-800.
    That sounds more like like indoorfly rather than parkfly power, considering Irish weather requirements I mean, or maybe designed for a continental country like France, Spain, with no wind.

What did you have in the Trojan?
    I used 180mah batteries in the micro Trojan.

I agree that the smaller planes are limited by the wind but if you're competent enough, they can provide you with a challenge to your skills flying them in the wind.

Bigger planes is where I'll be going next in this hobby but a small plane that you can carry round in the boot of your car for a quick impromptu fly has it's place too.

Advertisement