Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re seeding via Trailing Shoe type thing.

• 18-07-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

I know I have the name/discription of this wrong but I understand it works something like the trailed shoe for speadin slurry.

basically, you burn off the grass and then you just 'trail shoe' the grass seed in without any ploughing or tilling of any kind.

Does anyone know anything about this or have any experience of how it rates against conventional re seeding?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

direct drilling/slot seeding. I do a fair share of it for myself, tiny bit on contract as I dont look for work, It works very well but there is allot more management involved before going doing it.

take a look at

http://www.moore-unidrill.com/grassland-unidrills.aspx

and you will get the idea. Sam Moore was one of the first to built a DD in the UK. I have an old unit but there is very little operational difference it and a new drill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

getAsset.aspx?ItemID=5224508

Is it something like this your talking about? I see a neighbour beside use got a lad in in Aprilseed 3 acres so I was as interested as you are to see the results first hand for myself. He burnt it off (with roundup type chemical), ate it bare and sowed it directly in with a similar machine to the one above.

I waited and waited to see how it'd turn out. Grass was very slow to come. Now this could have been more down to the weather than anything else. The spots that did 'peep' first were the bits that were lightly poached and blackened by the cattle. Bits near the headlands with a little more cover (although burnt off) didn't come at all.

Now it's completely greened up and he has stock in the past 2 weeks, but I notice alot of weeds, not so much docks, but weeds nonetheless.

Make what you want of that. I'm sure it'I come good after a bit of time. The timing as I said with the weather being so dry might have alot to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

direct drilling/slot seeding. I do a fair share of it for myself, tiny bit on contract as I dont look for work, It works very well but there is allot more management involved before going doing it.

take a look at

http://www.moore-unidrill.com/grassland-unidrills.aspx

and you will get the idea. Sam Moore was one of the first to built a DD in the UK. I have an old unit but there is very little operational difference it and a new drill

thanks for that.

it looks like what i was talking about alright.

what is the extra management beforehand as opposed to conventional re seeding?

and bottom line, how does it rate as opposed to regular re seed

Dunedin wrote: »
    thanks for that.

it looks like what i was talking about alright.

what is the extra management beforehand as opposed to conventional re seeding?

and bottom line, how does it rate as opposed to regular re seed

Extra management is a range of things, fairly fertile soil, as little tatch of grass as possible(ie mat of old pasture), no overlaps on spray, slug pellets and insecticide, but I suppose slugs and aphid's etc can all cause problems with conventional.

So the bottom line
    A good DD grass in my view is better that conventional. Firstly the most fertile of the soil is on top, for grazing its brilliant as the old structure remains so it doesnt poach like conventional can in wet weather, and the turn around from spraying to grazing can be a month or more shorter (dont have to wait for it to die off, or wait for contractor). the most important thing for DD is moisture. I manage to get way more of the farm reseeded each year as opposed to just using a plough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

this lad seems to be selling his one fairly quick..you'd have to wonder why although I suppose he might have just had it for his own work
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2094729

• Advertisement

but those guttler machines are a world apart for a direct drill. Using such a machine is really only raking and broadcasting the seed where as a slot seeder is getting a much better soil to seed ratio. Those guttler machines are a serious price for what your getting. Maybe I think that its not really a contractors job as a contractor wants to get on and do lots of work whereas for Direct drilling you have to go when conditions suit. As i said preparation is very important. Will see if I have some photos for swards done in the last year or so

Advertisement