Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map Updates: Try before Buy?

Options
  • 18-07-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, I want to update the map on my TomTom ONE v3, in particular so that the Limerick Tunnel and by-pass and the now complete Galway-Dublin and Limerick-Dublin motorways will be on it. But, but, BUT ... how do I check this before I shell out 50euro? (A guy at work says he updated his Garmin a few months ago and these roads were not on the map!). The map update I'm being offered via TomTom HOME is Western Europe Version 870.3417 at the princely sum of eur49.95. Thanks for any info or if some kind soul could check the map rev on his/her new TomTom ...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It is included ..
    167505.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tullaman

Cheers KoolKid.

Bought that map and can confirm that Western Europe 870.3417 has Limerick Tunnel/by-pass, Gort by-pass and Birdhill/Nenagh by-pass.

Still think 50 yoyo's is a lot <sniff>

Looks like there is no way to verify TomTom maps before purchase

This is what I asked TomTom:
    Hi,

I want to update to the latest maps for Ireland. But *only* if specific new roads in my area are on the update.
    How can I verify that these new roads are included in the map update TomTom are offering me ...

I do not want to download the maps to
    my device before purchase. I just want to be able to check that the specific
    road changes I am interested in are included in the latest map before I
    purchase.
    Is there currently some way to do this?
    Some ways this could be achieved:
    - if there were an online browsable version of the map available (like
    google maps or bing maps) I could check that map to see if the roads I was
    interested in were included.
    - a text file with a "What's New" section for each new map revision would
    be acceptable. Where I could search the map for phrases like "Limerick
    by-pass" or "Limerick Tunnel" to use the specific queries I had.
    - or like Google Earth, who release a .kml file monthly showing graphically
    the regions covered by new imagery.

This is what TomTom said:
    I am very sorry to tell you that there is no such way to find whether the roads or places are present on the map you want to purchase. However If you want to know specific locations after the map is released then you can send us a mail where in we can guide you for the same. I would like to inform that unfortunately there are no trial map files offered before purchasing the map...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can always ask here.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement