Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Relations, a practical approach - Ellen Gunning

Options
  • 18-07-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm breaking into the world of PR slowly but surely... A few people that I have talked to have said to get Ellen Gunning's book however some others have said that its useless.

Basically, I'm wondering whether its worth my while getting it or not and if not, can anybody recommend any other good PR books that will help me develop the necessary skills?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Its a good overview, it was the only textbook I got for my course and I got a first so I thought it was good. I didn read alot online aswell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Cool, thanks. Where did you do the course?

Fitzwilliam, it was a bit hit and miss but sure I got through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

The Ellen Gunning book is good- its very basic so it's a good place to start.
    Other good books are Public relations : contemporary issues and techniques by Paul Baines and pretty much anything by Center, Cutlip and Broom.

There are so many out there but I suppose the best thing about the Gunning one is that it's written for Irish readers

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Cheers guys, I'm buying one for second hand now and will dive right in.
    Thanks for your help! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Hi all - sorry for reigniting the thread - but would anyone have the book second hand for sale? It seems to be unavailable from the publisher's website.

Where are you based? PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mad4road

Hi, im considering the PR and internal communications course online from Fitzwilliam myself at the minute. Was looking to see from someone who did the course, their opinion of Fitzwilliam inst ? Did you think the course was worth doing ? Did employers value it ? And lastly, how long did it take to complete ?
    Any help greatly appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

My advice is to read the lessons from How To Win Friends And Influence People.

The whole Book is hard to digest as it is very cynical in how to deal with people to get things that you want.

Think the fawning half of donald Trump who is effusive to the point of being drunk with people who like him, vote for him or do Business with him.

Principles of the human condition is true for most people in that if you take genuine interest in them and make them feel value then they in turn will be more open to dealing with you.

Advertisement