Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playing media on xbox 360?

Options
  • 18-07-2011 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

i used t ohave Windows Media Centre set up through my old router wired..
    ive since moved and cant get the xbox to find the pc on the same network,
    i put the problem mostly down to the fact the xbox is wireless now.

my question is there any other way to stream or transfer my movies from my computer to xbox perhaps via usb or something to the xbox?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If the console has the Optional Media Update you can plug in a FAT32-formatted external hard drive via USB and play music/videos from that. Once again, codec/format limitations apply just like with WMC :) (e.g. no MKV support)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did you have the Xbox setup before as an extender before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I used to stream media wirelessly through windows media centre. I set it up using TVersity at the weekend and find it far easier, also means I can stream my own music while playing games (great for when playing something like Fifa with really boring sounds).

Alternatively, I used to just copy files onto a 16gb memory key and do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Using WMC and streaming to your 360 using a wireless connection can cause serious problems. If you have to use wireless, then make sure it's wireless from the router to the xbox, not from WMC to the router.

PC/WMC should always be wired to the router, not sure why but every other thread that has dicussed this since the launch of the 360 has come to the same conclusion.

If wired isn't an option, then look into installing homeplugs. I've installed them all over my house this year and never have an issue streaming any content to any of my 360's/media extenders.

On the subject of different codecs and file formats: TVersity is excellent for playing almost all formats except .mkv. If you still want to use WMC, then install Shark's codec pack and you'll be able to play virtually any file format through WMC.

Just remember, if your PC is very slow or you only have a standard router, you probably won't be able to play HD content. For that you really need a 200Mbps router and/or 200Mbps homeplugs.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Decky86

all very useful information guys thanks! i'll try out tversity later on..
    but on the subject of external hdd and flash drives, is the optional media update hidden in the downloadable content section? (like the ipod media update ?)
    and yes the extender was setup before but it was all wired then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

On the subject of different codecs and file formats: TVersity is excellent for playing almost all formats except .mkv. If you still want to use WMC, then install Shark's codec pack and you'll be able to play virtually any file format through WMC.

TVersity can handle MKV perfectly from my experience. I use it on several machines in several environments - performs admirably though it does require transcoding.

Anything other than standard XviD (~1200kbps) over Wireless is a terrible idea IMO, it just doesn't cut the mustard with HD streaming because of it's inherently unstable properties (fluctuating ping, lost packets, diminishing signals, signal variation etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Thanks for this thread, im new to Xbox so found this helpful for options to stream however i cant seem to find how to set up streaming.

whats the best program to use? TVersity? Or are there free ones? Id like to stream itunes if at all possible?

Thanks for this thread, im new to Xbox so found this helpful for options to stream however i cant seem to find how to set up streaming.

whats the best program to use? TVersity? Or are there free ones? Id like to stream itunes if at all possible?

TVersity is free. I find that the best as its so simple.

budhabob wrote: »
    TVersity is free. I find that the best as its so simple.

Thanks, is it ok to use it wirelessly? If not do i simply run a cable from the router or pc to the xbox? sorry new to this stuff! cheers!

Thanks, is it ok to use it wirelessly? If not do i simply run a cable from the router or pc to the xbox? sorry new to this stuff! cheers!

I use it wireless.

I failed getting it to work with an eircom router, but once I got a different router I set it up easily. Just set it up and give it a go.

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »
    I use it wireless.

I failed getting it to work with an eircom router, but once I got a different router I set it up easily. Just set it up and give it a go.

I set it up within two minutes, had all my itunes folders in there and it works perfectly wireless. Thanks fo rthat!

Just a shame you cant change songs during a game lol well Black Ops wont let me.

Advertisement