Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BROKERS & INSURANCE COMPANIES

• 18-07-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

If a list of these already exists perhaps our friendly moderator could bring it the the fore and close this down.

I'm looking for the names of the ones that deal with our insurance in order to make price comparisons. So can we have the brokers and any ins. co's that deal direct please. No need for addresses just 'phone number please.

I'll up-date this list as we go along.

I go through Dolmens 01-867 2121 and they only deal with AXA.

dolmen-insurance.ie
    stuartinsurances.ie
    richardsoninsurance.ie
    odonovaninsurances.com
    wexfordinsurance.com
    kiddinsurances.ie

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Stuarts Insurance
    http://www.stuartinsurances.ie/products/camper/camper.asp

Travellers Insurance, but you'd need to go to a broker for them tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Thanks Buford,

C'mon folks, 29 people have viewed this thread yet we only have 2 brokers and insurance companies. Surely there's more than that? we can't all being using just these 2 can we?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Thanks stapeler, that's 3 more for the list.

It doesn't look as though any insurance company deals direct. Too small a customer base I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

But do any of them insure under 25's???

• Advertisement

Methinks dolmen will, but don't quote me on that. I'm nearly as old as Irishgoatman at this stage (te hee hee) so It wasn't an issue for me.

YourName wrote: »
    But do any of them insure under 25's???

Hi, the websites are there so fingers crossed.
    Could possibly depend on whether you're the owner driver or a second name driver?.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pat McGet

there's also Kidd Insurances in Dublin 01 2079400

Pat McGet wrote: »
    there's also Kidd Insurances in Dublin 01 2079400

Thanks Pat McGet.

Another one on the list.

O.K. folks, here's what I've discovered.

Stuartinsurances, odonovaninsurances and wexfordinsurance all require you to have, at least, 5 years no claims bonus on ANY vehicle you own (no good for me as I slid my car off the road on the ice last winter) and both would have quoted 380 euro.

Richardsoninsurance can only be done through, and you must be a member of, the Irish Camping and Caravan Club (ICCC). The broker cannot give a quote.

Kiddinsurances also deal only through the ICCC but they are hoping to change this very shortly. Insurance through them direct, if this happens will probably be 325 euro (but not definite yet so please don’t quote me).

Dolmen-insurance. My renewal through them, next month, will be 335 euro, so no guesses where I will be spending my money.

This seems to have been an exercise in futility but it’s always best to check.

I hope this Is helpful.

• Advertisement

afaik the €380 is for open drive on a camper and the €325 is for driver plus two or three named on a policy, thats the only difference.

You could well be right but, from my point of view, having 2 or 3 named drivers is more than enough (in fact only one other on mine).

I had no intentions of getting into fine details with any broker, just wanted to find out where the cheapest insurance could be had.
    I would imagine that anyone wanting more info will get on to the brokers themselves.

We see enquiries from time to time asking about insurance and so I thought this info., which I was getting for myself, might be found useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

I was looking for a quote today today and was surprised at what i needed to actually get insurance.New engineers report,pictures of all 4 sides +gas bottle + interior,copy of insurance cert for car and fill out proposal form. I thought you would just ring up with log book,doe and laser card.Any brokers that would do it in that fashion or do all require that level of detail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Is this for a first time quote or a renewal.
    For first time everyone asks for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

cards wrote: »
    I was looking for a quote today today and was surprised at what i needed to actually get insurance.New engineers report,pictures of all 4 sides +gas bottle + interior,copy of insurance cert for car and fill out proposal form. I thought you would just ring up with log book,doe and laser card.Any brokers that would do it in that fashion or do all require that level of detail?

You get some chancers putting it a coffee table, sofa bed, camping stove and a cooll box and trying to get insurance for them and thier band to drive around the counrtry on the cheap. They have to be carefull, it's nothing personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

Its a first time quote but the camper has already been insured with them for the past 5 years with this owner.

cards wrote: »
    Its a first time quote but the camper has already been insured with them for the past 5 years with this owner.

?.

Just found out, that Dolmans, and poss others?, will insure
    camper as main,only, vehicle.

Always nice to have extra info.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bruffkid

hi Irishgoatman that very helpful info but you must also ask what the excess is going to be as the insurance companies differ between 125 and 250 euro i just bought a motorhome and went with Dolmen Insurance Brokers as 325 + 150 excess..

Bruffkid wrote: »
    hi Irishgoatman that very helpful info but you must also ask what the excess is going to be as the insurance companies differ between 125 and 250 euro i just bought a motorhome and went with Dolmen Insurance Brokers as 325 + 150 excess..

I totally agree. I just assumed (the one thing you should never do) that that went without saying.

Where possible I get people to send me a written quote so that I can, not only sit down and study some of the small print, but compare it with other quotes.
    Usually people who won't send me a written quote, don't get my business:(.

• Advertisement

As so many people seem to be looking for insurance I thought I'd bring this thread back.

If anyone has new brokers/insurance co. please add them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Hi motoerhomers!

Just thinking of getting a small motorhome/camper for the coming autumn/winter and spend time in warmer climes (south of Spain).

Does anyone know what is the situation as regards loading for a LHD as compared to RHD? Obviously, if driving a lot on the continent a LHD would be much safer.

Is there a restriction on the amount of time you can spend on the continent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

odds_on wrote: »
    Hi motoerhomers!

Just thinking of getting a small motorhome/camper for the coming autumn/winter and spend time in warmer climes (south of Spain).

Does anyone know what is the situation as regards loading for a LHD as compared to RHD? Obviously, if driving a lot on the continent a LHD would be much safer.

Is there a restriction on the amount of time you can spend on the continent?

Not really spain does have a six month rule you have to reregister your vehicle with spanish plates after 6 months in the country this was brouth in mainly because of all the uk cars driving around alicante and benidorm.

In terms of safety they always say your most likely to have an accident with a few km of your own house so if you'll be using it at home I'd get a rhd and use a camera abroad like this: http://www.4kam.com/continental_cam_lhd_rhd_car_camera.htm

I'm sure you'll find a cheap chinese version of that for under €50 on ebay.

Advertisement