Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Cream Donuts

Options
  • 18-07-2011 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a recipe for those long doughnuts that you get in the bakery? With the fresh cream in the middle and the syrup down the centre? They are a favourite of my boyfriends and I'd love to make them as a surprise :) The way to a man's heart being through his stomach and all that :p

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh yum. Thanks for setting up that craving! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Oh my favorite of all cakes!!! delish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Not what you are looking for, but Lidl sell them frozen and I remember them being ok.
    Probably couldn't be as good as fresh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Thanks Cornflake but I kinda wanted to make them myself - I like a challenge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Tbh I don't think you'll be able to recreate them exactly as most bakeries make them from a packet mix that you can't recreate the taste of from real ingredients, but homemade donuts are even nice IMO. Any donut recipe would do really for them, it's just the shape that makes them any different from other mass produced bakery donuts.

• Advertisement

This is very disappointing :( I'll just have to make something else - maybe Black Forest Gateau! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lil-ms-vodka

This might be of use, maybe replace the maple syrup with strawberry syrup :)

For a seriously indulgent treat, try home-made doughnuts, delectably filled with maple syrup

Servings: 5-10
    Preparation Time: 20 minutes, plus resting
    Cooking Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
    250g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
    1 pinch Salt
    40g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
    30g Butter, softened
    150ml water
    20g fresh yeast
    500ml vegetable oil, or sunflower oil for deep-frying
    200ml maple syrup

Method
    1. Place the flour, salt , caster sugar, butter, water and yeast in a large bowl and mix together, then tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for five minutes.

2. Put the dough back in the bowl and leave for 30 minutes, until doubled in size.

3. Divide the dough into 75g pieces and shape into balls.

4. Put on your floured surface and leave to rise until doubled in size, around 30 minutes.

5. Pour the vegetable oil into a large heavy-based pan and heat to 170ºC or to a medium heat.

6. Lower each of the doughnuts into the oil and fry until brown, then roll them over and fry the other side, around five minutes in all. If you find it difficult to roll the doughnuts over, then pierce them slightly with a knife.

7. Once the dougnuts are browned, tip them straight away into a bowl full of caster sugar and coat well.

8. Cool them on a wire rack and then pierce the centre of the doughnut with the tip of an icing bag filled with the maple syrup.

9. Insert as much maple syrup as you can into the doughnut, without too much oozing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that maple syrup sounds nice, never heard of it before.
    7. Once the dougnuts are browned, tip them straight away into a bowl full of caster sugar and coat well.
    Most of the long cream donuts have icing/powdered sugar on them, they also seem a bit moister than regular ones.

I hate when swiss rolls get covered in granulated sugar. Don't mind it on regular donuts but not on those long ones.

You can usually get strawberry syrups in the jelly section of the supermarket along with custard etc.

Thanks for that ppl! I might try the jam ones first, then maybe attempt the cream ones! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mewa

Cream Buns

450g Strong flour
    55g sugar
    1 teaspoon honey
    6g salt
    45g butter room temperature
    20g milk
    180g/ml water
    14g instant yeast ( or 28g fresh yeast)
    1 egg

With a dough hook fitted to a mixer, mix all ingredients to together at low speed, once the dough has started to come together, increase to medium speed and mix for 7 minutes
    Cover with cling (touching the surface of dough) and allow the dough to rest 45mins-one hour

Divide the dough into 8 pieces and allow rest another 10 minutes before shaping.

Shape into long rolls (let me know if you need help with this)

Allow the dough to prove on a prepared tray until almost double in size,

Cooking Methods:

You can now either:
    1. Deep Fry to fully cooked. Soak in syrup when hot
    2. Briefly fry on both sides for about 1 minute per side and finish in a preheated oven set at 170C for about 25 minutes - when the buns are out of the oven, pour over some stock syrup over the hot buns for a beautiful sweet crisp skin.
    3. Bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes at 170C and sprinkle with stock syrup when still hot and out of oven

Either way you cook them do pour over the syrup when they are hot out of oven/pan-(they should make a sizzling sound when you do this) so you'll have a tasty sweet crisp bun.

Stock Syrup
    • 360g sugar
    • 420g water
    Bring sugar and water to the boil. Remove from heat when sugar is totally dissolved.

Chantilly Creme:

for every 500g cream, add 40g sieved icing sugar and a few drops of vanilla extract. Whisk together

Jam

Heat a little with water strawberry/raspberry jam, when liquid pass through a sieve to remove bits.

Assembly
    Roll bun in sugar or dust wity icing sugar, brush inside with syrup if you wish, Fill the cold bun with the cream and jam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

@ Mewa...

:pac::pac::pac: Droool

Double drool right back at ya:)- I can't stop thinking about cream buns now-I dreamt about them last night! I'm going to have to make some today.

Image245.jpg Made them yesterday, yum

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Yummalicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

ok now that's just mean to show a pic, now I'm going to have to make some too!

They look fabulous! I'm so trying them! thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Want to make these too, is it 20g or 20 ml of milk. 420 g or 420ml of water?
    How do you shape them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

is it 20g or 20 ml of milk. 420 g or 420ml of water?
    Either one will do, 1ml of milk or water weighs approx 1gram. It is easier to keep dumping stuff into a bowl and zeroing your weighing scale, then you do not have to bother with a liquid measuring jug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cool, didn't know that. Looking forward to having a go at these just keep forgetting to buy yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

mewa wrote: »
    Image245.jpg Made them yesterday, yum

Dear God that looks incredible!!!:pac:

• Advertisement

Sigma Force re. how to shape them- sorry haven't been on internet for while. Have attached pictures for how to shape the buns.

have to upload pics in parts because can't get them to upload as one

part 2

part 3 of shaping cream buns

You can make a chocolate version by adding approx 20g of cocoa to the bun mix.

The picture shows a chocolate bun with maple syrup, bun ganache or jam is great too

Advertisement