Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What horsepower?

• 18-07-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭

Just looking for advice on what horsepower tractor would you recommend to handle a 10-12 tonne dump trailer without too much hassle and be fairly comfortable on the road. That would be the heaviest work it would be doing.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

any 6 cylinder 100 hp up tractor will do the job to be honest weight is as big of a factor as anything,
    but for 14 to 16 tonnes you need a fair bit more grunt
    my pick would be a deere 6 series - bit extra weight to handle them depends on what you wanna spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Thanks for that. Won't be doing a massive amount of road work. Just mainly tidying up ground that we have ourselves, have the digger already. Might be used for baling etc in time if I decide to purchase in time.

Was looking at a McCormick MC115 coming in at fairly decent money or a Renault Ares. The JD would be out of my price bracket I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coolio kidddd

fiat 110-90 mite suit your criteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

threeball wrote: »
    Was looking at a McCormick MC115 coming in at fairly decent money or a Renault Ares.

Ares 620 will do it, but be sure you go for the RZ with cab suspension and quadshift. If budget allows, a late model 696 is one of the most underrated and capable machines around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Zetor crystal 12045 ,cost ya the price of a bag of crisps plenty of pulling power ,Spartan comfort ,virtually indestructable.

• Advertisement

Ares 620 will do it, but be sure you go for the RZ with cab suspension and quadshift. If budget allows, a late model 696 is one of the most underrated and capable machines around.

I've seen one or two within Budget. Nice machine and for some reason they all seem well kept.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Zetor crystal 12045 ,cost ya the price of a bag of crisps plenty of pulling power ,Spartan comfort ,virtually indestructable.

I think I might feel as though I spent the night sleeping rough after a day in one of those :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

The OP has narrowed it down to two modern, comfortable tractors with shuttle, powershift, and you come in with that monstrosity:D :DIs that your Crystal on Donedeal?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The OP has narrowed it down to two modern, comfortable tractors with shuttle, powershift, and you come in with that monstrosity:D :DIs that your Crystal on Donedeal?;)

not mine no. I actually have a 1992 zetor crystal 8111 with a 40k box that would shake the absolute **** out of you when opened to the last . Never gave an ounce of hassle though. Loads of them still going strong in our area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

flatout11 wrote: »
    any 6 cylinder 100 hp up tractor will do the job to be honest weight is as big of a factor as anything,
    but for 14 to 16 tonnes you need a fair bit more grunt
    my pick would be a deere 6 series - bit extra weight to handle them depends on what you wanna spend

Good advice, the weight is a of the tractor also the wheelbase is a major factor when selecting a tractor for heavy pulling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

totaly agree with bitten and hisses ares 696 all the way,we ave one since new and have put over 10000 hours on it and oil and filters and an alternator is all we have put into it,when the goin gets tuff and the john deeres start bouncing trying to get traction before they get stuck the renault jus keeps goin.....serious tractor for right money....

Speaking of hrs. What would people consider to be an acceptable number of hours on a 2002 - 2004 machine before you'd turn your nose up at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

threeball wrote: »
    Speaking of hrs. What would people consider to be an acceptable number of hours on a 2002 - 2004 machine before you'd turn your nose up at it.

Any more than 800-1000 hrs a year and she has been worked hard. If the machine is well kept and serviced I wouldn't rule it out but you wouldn't expect a tractor to have done much more than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 MacOwen

Fiat 110-90, should be spot on for a handy dump trailer. Ideal for baling and other bits and pieces too!

Advertisement