Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry

Options
  • 18-07-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi, im looking to Travel on the Train to Kerry this summer, and when i arrive i want to travel the ring of kerry. When i was a child there was a tour you could doi that included 1/3 of the trip on bus, 1/3 of the trip on horse back thru mountains and 1/3 of the trip on a boat.

does anyone know if this tour still exists, whats it called, how do i book it and what did u think of it?

any feedback or suggestions on a 3 day holiday in Kerry would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

007.57 wrote: »
    Hi, im looking to Travel on the Train to Kerry this summer, and when i arrive i want to travel the ring of kerry. When i was a child there was a tour you could doi that included 1/3 of the trip on bus, 1/3 of the trip on horse back thru mountains and 1/3 of the trip on a boat.

does anyone know if this tour still exists, whats it called, how do i book it and what did u think of it?

any feedback or suggestions on a 3 day holiday in Kerry would be great.

This trip is something which is long overdue by me. Must go and do this again soon.

This linky here is one company that do that tour. They seem to be the main operators for the Gap of Dunloe tour

although deros also provide the trip.

Both will collect you from your hotel/hostel/guesthouse. Their prices would include the bus and boat and not inclusive of the horse&trap through the Gap then.

Hope that helps :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What you have described is not the Ring of Kerry, but the Gap of Dunloe tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What you have described is not the Ring of Kerry, but the Gap of Dunloe tour.

Yeah I would say that they know that. In their OP they say they want to do the Ring of Kerry,

then proceeded to describe another trip which they weren't sure the name of

then said they had a 3-day holiday.

I would assume that they were enquiring about the 2tours to cover 2of the days?

Different ways to view everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭007.57

Thanks for clearing that up and for all the info and the links.

I really want to do this trip <<<<Gap of Dunloe Tour>>> but can you advise me on where is more convenient to stay if im going on this trip <<<<Gap of Dunloe Tour>>> - Tralee town or Killarney town?

007.57 wrote: »
    Tralee town or Killarney town?

Killarney. No question. Killarney is where the Gap tour starts and ends, it is the tourist Mecca, it has all the hotels, restaurants, sights and scenery. Tralee has its own charms, but it's no Killarney and it's much further away from the Gap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

whats the ring of kerry like ? can do drive it ? planning on going there last weekend in july staying in the muckross hotel is it owned by bill cullen ?whats else is there to see down in killarney there ? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Muckross hotel is owned by Cullen alright. Ring of Kerry is a drive but it will be mad busy at this time of year so I'd get up early and get out ahead of the buses.

Muckross hotel is owned by Cullen alright. Ring of Kerry is a drive but it will be mad busy at this time of year so I'd get up early and get out ahead of the buses.

cheers for that lad....does cullen ever be there much ? just seen him in the video for the hotel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Do the ring from the bottom first Molls gap, Sneem that way.

The buses all go anti clockwise so if you go that way all you'll see all day is the back of a bus. By going clockwise you'll only meet the buses around Waterville.

trad wrote: »
    Do the ring from the bottom first Molls gap, Sneem that way.

Molls Gap -> Kenmare -> Sneem. If you skip Kenmare you miss one of the nicest towns and stretches of coast road on the ring.

Killarney has pretty much everything polod. Castles, stately homes, walks, concert venues, some of the finest scenery in Ireland, the highest mountains, the National Park, restaurants, nightlife (in summer anyway), it goes on and on...

• Advertisement

Molls Gap -> Kenmare -> Sneem. If you skip Kenmare you miss one of the nicest towns and stretches of coast road on the ring.

Killarney has pretty much everything polod. Castles, stately homes, walks, concert venues, some of the finest scenery in Ireland, the highest mountains, the National Park, restaurants, nightlife (in summer anyway), it goes on and on...

thanks for that conor74 am looking very forward to my trip down south now :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 cutefainne

Killorglin is a must visit place if you are taking a trip to Kerry. Here is the Killorglin website http://www.killorglinringofkerry.com you should check it out. It has loads of details about the area as well as the local shops pubs and restaurants.

Advertisement