Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who is Brendan Smyth?

Options
  • 18-07-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

no, not the priest, but a community activist? from Sandyvale.
    He has letters in the Advertiser every now and then and appears to be quite erudite. He seems to have a lot to say and I am surprised he has never stood for election. What are his politics?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Write a letter to him and ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

btw did anyone go on any of those day cycle tours? Thought about it during bike week but found something else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

soundbyte wrote: »

he seems to be a complex character with something to say on a variety of topics. Just browsing through his blog gives the impression that he is of no particular politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lasgaviotas

He was President of the the Students Union in UCG years ago and a very good President he was indeed..he is still very enthusiastic about anything he puts his mind to..he appears to be a very modest individual with no airs or graces..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Speedie is good people. That said - he is sometimes seen consorting with class enemies, lackeys or other running dogs of the counter revolutionary elements and the occasional cyclist.

But then they could say the same thing about me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

There's great stuff in Speedie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A legend in Galway, he drove the Terryland Forestry project and had the whole of Tirellan and Sandyvale out planting trees along the river from the Dyke Road to Riverside one weekend, looks quite nice now 10 years later.

They will name something after him while he is alive, of that I am sure :)

Speedie is good people. That said - he is sometimes seen consorting with class enemies, lackeys or other running dogs of the counter revolutionary elements and the occasional cyclist.

But then they could say the same thing about me ;)

what are you on about?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A legend in Galway, he drove the Terryland Forestry project and had the whole of Tirellan and Sandyvale out planting trees along the river from the Dyke Road to Riverside one weekend, looks quite nice now 10 years later.

They will name something after him while he is alive, of that I am sure :)

a project the city supported., then they wanted to build a road through it. is the planned road still going to go ahead?

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    a project the city supported., then they wanted to build a road through it. is the planned road still going to go ahead?
    Thats right, it was kyboshed last year.

Is that Ming himself campaigning against the road ???

I see the Crowe was all for the road. he wanted the trees removed from the sqaure as well. What does the dude have against trees?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

what are you on about?

Hmmm probably before your time. It was an evocation of the language of cold war politics and perhaps even cold war era student politics - which Speedie was in the thick of. Nowadays treated humorously by those of us who had the good luck to live in a little European backwater at the time. Others might find the attempt at humour crass. Some background reading for you

Class enemy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_of_the_people
    Counter revolutionary elements: See here under Early mass rallieshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution
    Running dogs: See here under Struggle sessions and purges http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

I see the Crowe was all for the road. he wanted the trees removed from the sqaure as well. What does the dude have against trees?

Money and a thirst for recognition and power,ohh Crowe probably the worst politician to come out of Galway since Frank 40 gaffes Fahy.
    Both have no interest in a public service but a self-service.

108197pre_8fb06161ab4d773.jpg?v=2010-04-05+17%3A33%3A47

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

snubbleste wrote: »
    108197pre_8fb06161ab4d773.jpg?v=2010-04-05+17%3A33%3A47

Crowe got a root up the hole in the General election, so everything worked out well in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about Brendan, not Crowe.
    If you want to discuss Crowe's politics, use Politics forum.

Hmmm probably before your time. It was an evocation of the language of cold war politics and perhaps even cold war era student politics - which Speedie was in the thick of. Nowadays treated humorously by those of us who had the good luck to live in a little European backwater at the time. Others might find the attempt at humour crass. Some background reading for you

Class enemy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_of_the_people
    Counter revolutionary elements: See here under Early mass rallieshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution
    Running dogs: See here under Struggle sessions and purges http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution

speedie is presumably Brendan Smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I think he was the first person in Galway to put in condom vending machines.
    Searched in his blog and found this

Galwayps wrote: »
    I think he was the first person in Galway to put in condom vending machines.
    Searched in his blog and found this

indeed he was. I read part of his extensive blog yesterday. You would need days to get through it all. as others have pointed out he appears to be quite humble.
    i heard him speak briefly and he seemed to be well informed and a good speaker. I guess if he were to go into politics he would have to compromise his principles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

He also used to run an excellent live music venue, back in the mid-1990s. Called Setanta. Located where the Oslo is now. Used to feature a host of late night gigs by the likes of Frank and Walters, Sultans of Ping, etc, basically every good Irish band at that time, apart from the obvious big ones. An excellent venue, but it didn't work out.

celty wrote: »
    He also used to run an excellent live music venue, back in the mid-1990s. Called Setanta. Located where the Oslo is now. Used to feature a host of late night gigs by the likes of Frank and Walters, Sultans of Ping, etc, basically every good Irish band at that time, apart from the obvious big ones. An excellent venue, but it didn't work out.

Setanta is a blast from the past. I wonder why it did not work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

He's the Community Outreach Officer for DERI in NUI Galway. Does a lot of excellent work for Galway, especially with local schools. Was meant to work with him in teaching school kids how to program, but it never transpired. Must take a walk down that road again some day in the future.

He also curates the Computer and Communications Museum up in DERI. Well worth a look. Not sure if it's open these days, but they move it around from place to place. It was at the Science Museum in NUIG this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Fuinseog,

Setanta didn't work out because the focus was completely on live music and it just wasn't making enough money. This is pre the Roisin Dubh days. Speedie was also involved in Monroe's when that pub actually sprang up the whole revival around 'The West', before the Roisin, Massimo, Blue Note, etc. came on the scene. It totally transformed night life around Dominick Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Fuinseog,

Setanta didn't work out because the focus was completely on live music and it just wasn't making enough money. This is pre the Roisin Dubh days. Speedie was also involved in Monroe's when that pub actually sprang up the whole revival around 'The West', before the Roisin, Massimo, Blue Note, etc. came on the scene. It totally transformed night life around Dominick Street.
    Yes. I think they called it 'Club Rapparee' or something like that.
    They did a legendary breakfast and on sunday mornings there were often large queues outside at 12pm waiting for it to open at 12:30.

I remember back in the early to mid 80's, Brendan was also involved in a computer shop somewhere on Eglington Street. They used to sell Commodore Vic 20's and Commodore 64's. Can anyone remember the name of the place? Dr. Bob Loughnane was also involved.
    I remember saving up for 18 months with my brothers to buy an 8K memory cartridge for our Vic20 which cost over 130 pounds at the time! How times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

He also ran 'Calico Jacks' where Massimo is now.
    One of the soundest publicans I ever met (and Ive met a lot).
    I might not always agree with with his politics (mostly do) but he would always be prepared to discuss any differences of opinion. Used to bump into him now and then in strange places like Tesco etc after and he would always stop for a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

He seems to have a lot to say and I am surprised he has never stood for election.
    He did once, many moons ago. Stood as an independent for the City Council. Despite a good vote, he didn't get elected.
    Speedie was also involved in Monroe's when that pub actually sprang up the whole revival around 'The West', before the Roisin, Massimo, Blue Note, etc. came on the scene. It totally transformed night life around Dominick Street.
    Indeed. You could say that he created the whole Dominick St./West thing (apart from The Crane, which was there before). Without Monroes, there would have been no Roisins. Before he took it over, Monroes was doing very little business.
    dilallio wrote: »
    I think they called it 'Club Rapparee' or something like that.
    Spot on. Used to have set dancing on Monday or Tuesday nights.

He also ran 'Calico Jacks' where Massimo is now.
    One of the soundest publicans I ever met (and Ive met a lot).
    I might not always agree with with his politics (mostly do) but he would always be prepared to discuss any differences of opinion. Used to bump into him now and then in strange places like Tesco etc after and he would always stop for a chat.

what are his politics in your view? maybe he is a tad left but unlikely to froth at the mouth if you disagree with him.

serfboard wrote: »
    He did once, many moons ago. Stood as an independent for the City Council. Despite a good vote, he didn't get elected.

that did not stop Ming who also stood in Galway and did not get elected. Do you know what his policies were all those moons ago?
    I could be wrong but he seems to be limited to Galway and never tries to go on the national airwaves.
    I wonder why he does not campaign for a better hospital.

• Advertisement

I wonder why he does not campaign for a better hospital.
    He can campaign for whatever he wants, what did you ever campaign for anyway ??

I don't campaign for a better hospital because I know too many of the managers in there ....which means it is impossible to have a better hospital.

Advertisement