Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Training

Options
  • 18-07-2011 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Just wanted to ask quick question, as i am about to take a change of career, training to become outdoor activity instructor. Ive no previous experience, Which of these two is better qualification?

NVQ Level 2 in Activity Leadership

Fetac level 5 outdoor instructor

I understand there's prob not a definitive answer but help choosing one these would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

I only know of people that did the fetac one! guess cos it irish and they wanted to work here in ireland!

Things to look at but i dotn know the Ans to is, can fetac be used in uk etc or can NVQ be used in Irl.
    + where do you want to work re above....

2nd id contact some outdoor places and ask them what one they like more - as in end of day is going to be them who decide if you get job or not etc!

3rd thing is are u jobless! if so you could get the fetac one for free( or at a reduced cost i would think)

cant really be anymore help but hope the above info helps in some way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Id Look at the potential qualifications you could come out with at the end if you put in the work!
    Most outdoor centers only care about the actual qualifications you hold example Level 1, 2 or 3 kayak instructor, SPA (Single pitch Award CLIMBING) and Mountain skills or Mountain Leader Training!
    So id go with which ever course is a better quality and the potential qualifications at the end!

Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Maloney33

Whitehawk wrote: »
    I only know of people that did the fetac one! guess cos it irish and they wanted to work here in ireland!

Things to look at but i dotn know the Ans to is, can fetac be used in uk etc or can NVQ be used in Irl.
    + where do you want to work re above....

2nd id contact some outdoor places and ask them what one they like more - as in end of day is going to be them who decide if you get job or not etc!

3rd thing is are u jobless! if so you could get the fetac one for free( or at a reduced cost i would think)

cant really be anymore help but hope the above info helps in some way

Thanks for reply, that's a good point about contacting potential employers asking what they like. Yes I am unemployed @ the min, and have being in contact with Fas about the Fetac Course.

@pmccormack cheers will defo look into it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 outdoorgirl

Hey, I did an outdoor activity instructor course in Killary Adventure Centre in Leenane Co. Galway. It was a six month long course witk kayaking that includes two personal proficiency levels and one coach training, hill walking walking up to mountain skill assessment , rock climbling to SPA training (single pitch award), power boat drivng to ISA level two and first aid REC 2. It's a private course so it costs but you get accomadation and there's four weeks work experince and when I did it there was a climbing trip to Spain for ten days. The year I did it there were seven of us on the course and all of us got work in different centres around the country. Here's a link to it anyway and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

http://www.killaryadventure.com/en/get_qualified/instructor_training_course/train_as_an_outdoor.html#pic=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Maloney33

Hey, I did an outdoor activity instructor course in Killary Adventure Centre in Leenane Co. Galway. It was a six month long course witk kayaking that includes two personal proficiency levels and one coach training, hill walking walking up to mountain skill assessment , rock climbling to SPA training (single pitch award), power boat drivng to ISA level two and first aid REC 2. It's a private course so it costs but you get accomadation and there's four weeks work experince and when I did it there was a climbing trip to Spain for ten days. The year I did it there were seven of us on the course and all of us got work in different centres around the country. Here's a link to it anyway and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

http://www.killaryadventure.com/en/get_qualified/instructor_training_course/train_as_an_outdoor.html#pic=0

Cheers thanks for that, Ive applied for FAS course which covers similar area, its up in Gweedore and its on for 42weeks. If anyone's done before what's the interview like? like ive no experience but really want work in this area.
    If i don't get that i will be looking at other ways. What price is that course out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 outdoorgirl

:cool:The cost of the course is about €6500 this year as far as I know. Seems a lot but I suppose when you spread it over 7 months of training it covers a lot. Good luck with your FAS interview.

Advertisement