Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Clare

• 18-07-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭

Are there any beauty spots or places of note that are off the beaten track and not at all well known. If so it would be nice if ye could share them here.
    Places like castles, country estates, quiet beaches, lakes, forests, rivers etc

Not a great example but here's an old castle I found while out walking. It's in a place called Ballyvorgal just off the Sixmilebridge-Broadford Road.

I'm sure there are loads like this and it might be interesting to find out about the history of the area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 patrick74

I often kayak out to Mutton Island off Quilty...nice walk to the back of the island to the castle which is perched on the edge of the cliffs.Real cool spot.

captureit7675.jpg

Another spot are these huge cliffs near Doonbeg...but the best is kayaking into a cave through a head land and exiting into these horse shoe cliffs...just amazing this spot..
    dfhjkiulop908978654tryu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I got lost recently and ended up out here in the car.

It's on a back road from Newmarket to Quin and there's a good few of these fancy entrances at the back of Knappogue Castle. Nice enough area too with a few quiet lakes for fishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

Hi there's a nice walk opposite the car park for two mile gate on the shores of Lough Derg in east Clare. Not sure what the right name of it is Bally... When you climb up you have an amazing view of the lake! bit hilly so bring water and take breaks for amateurs anyway. Nice pathways with seats along the route to have a much needed rest. picnic seats at first car park. Can have a swim in the life guarded strand in TMG afterwards!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Killone is a very peaceful and historic place near Ballyea. Take the Killadysert road ( R473 ) from Ennis and take the first road to the right - signposted ' Ballyea'. Take the next narrow road to the right and park beside a gate. Walk along a dirt road and up the hill. There are two lakes, a waterfall in wet weather, Killone Convent ( 12th. century ), St. John's Well and views of New Hall House, one of the finest Georgian houses in Clare. A lovely spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Lough Attorick is one of my favourites. It's in the woods near Flagmount (East Clare), eerily remote, nature all around you and a tiny beach, if you manage to find it.

Also in East Clare (near Feakle) is Lough Ea. It's a walk through bog wilderness with the odd wild goat, past turloughs, rocks and one fairy tree, loads of interesting and rare plants and bilberries at this time of year, it's still and quiet, and then there is the dead end bog lake. It's magic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

+1 for flagmount... nice walk.
    also like the trailhead walk near feakle..http://www.clarewalkingtours.ie/Loop%20Walks.html#one
    you end up walking through farms, over bridges etc, bring hiking boots/ waterproofs, theres a seat along the way where they used to say mass back in day (lots of sad history in the area) on top of a hill, so beautiful to take in ...

I might aswell add Father Ted's house to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Pebbles82 wrote: »
    Hi there's a nice walk opposite the car park for two mile gate on the shores of Lough Derg in east Clare. Not sure what the right name of it is Bally... When you climb up you have an amazing view of the lake! bit hilly so bring water and take breaks for amateurs anyway. Nice pathways with seats along the route to have a much needed rest. picnic seats at first car park. Can have a swim in the life guarded strand in TMG afterwards!!

Ballycuggaran Mountain. Amazing views. Bring my dog there every second day but at the moment it is only open Sundays due to deforestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭redeight

Raheen Woods Tuamgraney. Some amazing ancient oak trees including the Brian Boru oak.
    http://www.treecouncil.ie/heritagetrees/386.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

The Flaggy shore on which is located off the main road between Ballyvaughan to Kinvara - http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl.If link doesnt work just type Flaggy shore into google map.Its the perfect place in North clare to enjoy a walk where no cars are in your way and there is beautiful scenery.I do my 3.5 mile loop twice there every day running - never get tired of it.Pop into Linnanes lobster pub for well deserved grub after your walk ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

killwill wrote: »
    Ballycuggaran Mountain. Amazing views. Bring my dog there every second day but at the moment it is only open Sundays due to deforestation.

I would second this, Ballycuggeran is gorgeous. And it has opened up again in the past week. It's a bit messy up at the top due to the deforestation, but the views down onto the lake are still spectacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

redeight wrote: »
    Raheen Woods Tuamgraney. Some amazing ancient oak trees including the Brian Boru oak.
    http://www.treecouncil.ie/heritagetrees/386.htm

Where exactly is the Brian Boru oak tree within Raheen Wood? I walk in there most days and don't know where to look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Cahercommaun Stone Fort in the Burren National Park is a truly magical place to visit. If coming from Ennis, take the R467 towards Lisdoonvarna. After Kilinaboy, take the next road to the right, which will take you over the High Commons. There is a house at the entrance to the fort with some parking space. The track across the Burren to the fort is easy to follow, but it is a bit steep in places. Cahercommaun Stone Fort is spectaculary situated at the edge of a ravine. A great ramble through the wild heart of the Burren.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Clareboy wrote: »
    Cahercommaun Stone Fort in the Burren National Park is a truly magical place to visit. If coming from Ennis, take the R467 towards Lisdoonvarna. After Kilinaboy, take the next road to the right, which will take you over the High Commons. There is a house at the entrance to the fort with some parking space. The track across the Burren to the fort is easy to follow, but it is a bit steep in places. Cahercommaun Stone Fort is spectaculary situated at the edge of a ravine. A great ramble through the wild heart of the Burren.

+1. Visited this site twice. It's absolutely amazing.

The Golf Balls Gallows Hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Hags Head. Basically the far end of the Cliffs of Moher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Clarevirtually

Go down the avenue in Raheen and pass the hospital and Bridgits Hearth. After the kindergarten the road bends to the left. Go another 100 mts and when you come to a field on the right the Brian Boru Oak is on the right side of the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Inkyhead (or anyone in the know), what is the best way to get to Hags head, i tried taking the turn off after Liscannor and followed the road keeping the tower in sight, but seemed to get a bit lost

There is a beautiful view of Lough Derg just outside Scariff heading for Mountshannon.
    1 mile outside the town there is a left turn for the new cemetery in Moynoe. Go up the road and park at the far end of the car park. Walk on another 100mts and on your right is a stile. Climb over and walk up the path. At the other end are 2 benches with spectacular views over Lough Derg towards Oogonnolloe on one side and Holy Island on the other. Bring a camera !

There are an amazing series of waterfalls in Gortaderra called the Assinas Falls. There are about 7 or 8 falls and after heavy rain they are quite a sight. The biggest and hardest to get to is the first which is about 20feet high. The rest are of lesser height but still impressive. Access is difficult and down an overgrown forestry track but worth it when you get there. I'll get the gps coordinates and post them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

There is a beautiful view of Lough Derg just outside Scariff heading for Mountshannon.
    1 mile outside the town there is a left turn for the new cemetery in Moynoe. Go up the road and park at the far end of the car park. Walk on another 100mts and on your right is a stile. Climb over and walk up the path. At the other end are 2 benches with spectacular views over Lough Derg towards Oogonnolloe on one side and Holy Island on the other. Bring a camera !

I agree, the locals keep it lovely and in the Autumn the leaves up the covered lane are amazing even in the snow and frost its definitely worth the short walk ...it used to be the old road to Mountshannon in by gone days so to speak so its also a bit of history you're walking on.

Also Inis Cealtra -Holy Island is a monastic site in the middle of Lough Derg ( off Mountshannon side) it is well worth a visit. hire a boat or get a tour from Ger Madden on the pier in Mountshannon. Its eerily peaceful and still very natural with restorations on some of the 7 churches by the board of works. well worth a trip and you'' only be sharing the views with the cows that live there some months of the year. no facitilies so avail of them before getting on the boat! bring a packed lunch and a book and make the most of its tranquillity.

Advertisement