Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netopia 2247NWG jailbreak?

• 18-07-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I need wireless router and I have 2 old Eircom Netopia's routers (netopia 2247NWG). I wonder if I can by any chance jailbrake them to get access to all settings and reuse them as standard (non-eircom) network routers? I did smal research but I couldn't find anything about hacking that model - what do you think? Can it work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What do you mean? Do you want to be able to use them on other providers connections? Because that's possible anyway, all that needs to be changed is the PPPoE Username and Password.
    Flashing the firmware to a generic Netopia firmware has no added benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's a DSL modem/router, and if you want to use it as a router only, you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I thought about using it as a wifi AP. I know it works fine as switch connecting 2-4 computers but somehow is messing with internet if connected (probably because it's branded for Eircom). Well - I can't access PPPoE settings anyway (probably because it's branded for Eircom) so that's why I ask if I can "jailbreak" it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭kaahooters

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

your looking for that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There have never been reports on here of being unable to access the ppoe settings - what you tried so far?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Should not need a jailbreak to work as a modem but does need a jailbreak to remove the backdoor 'feature' .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64009166&postcount=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

jor el wrote: »
    That's a DSL modem/router, and if you want to use it as a router only, you can't.
    That's not necessarily true. Not with updated firmware anyway. The netopia 2247NWG I have was used as a wireless router alongside a Digiweb wireless service, with a cable plugged to the digiweb modem and one of the lan sockets of the netopia. However in that case, it wasn't really behaving as a router but more as a wireless access point and 3-way switch combi with added security features. A firmware upgrade to 7.8 allowed port 4 to be converted into a true WAN port, with the DSL port switched off. This made it function as a typical router much like how the WRT54G and others would operate, albeit with only 3 LAN ports instead of 4.

This feature is called LAN/WAN Turnaround in the netopia's menu.

Updated firmware doesn't remove the eircom branding but it does let the netopia work as a router for any other broadband service that provides a modem with an ethernet port. E.g. UPC, Digiweb Metro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

That's not necessarily true. Not with updated firmware anyway. The netopia 2247NWG I have was used as a wireless router alongside a Digiweb wireless service, with a cable plugged to the digiweb modem and one of the lan sockets of the netopia. However in that case, it wasn't really behaving as a router but more as a wireless access point and 3-way switch combi with added security features. A firmware upgrade to 7.8 allowed port 4 to be converted into a true WAN port, with the DSL port switched off. This made it function as a typical router much like how the WRT54G and others would operate, albeit with only 3 LAN ports instead of 4.

This feature is called LAN/WAN Turnaround in the netopia's menu.

Updated firmware doesn't remove the eircom branding but it does let the netopia work as a router for any other broadband service that provides a modem with an ethernet port. E.g. UPC, Digiweb Metro.

This sounds just like the problem Im having. I have Net1 internet and there isnt a router supplied with it. Im trying to figure out how to setup my Netopia router so that I can have the other 3 Ethernet ports and the wireless connection provide internet. At the moment, I only have one pc connected.

I cant access the router settings on my pc, it shows as an error when i input the router IP address. However I can connect with my tablet and my smartphone wirelessly. When I try to enable the LAN/WAN turnaround option, it asks me to save and restart the router. When I do, nothing happens at all, I cant even access the settings on my tablet, so I have to hit the reset button on thr router to get back to the settigns page.

Whats the best way to do this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what ip range does net1 use 192.168.1.nn is it, try getting the netopia to allocate 192.168.2.n addresses instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    what ip range does net1 use 192.168.1.nn is it, try getting the netopia to allocate 192.168.2.n addresses instead.

Its 109.234.100......

• Advertisement
Advertisement