Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB2/USB3

• 18-07-2011 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

If you bought a Laptop now with no USB3, could you run into problems in 2 years or so with external devices....say for example Harddrives, if manufacturers stop making them with the two connections for the extra power needed to run USB3 off of USB2 ports?

What yas think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

If that happens, there will probably be thrid party adapters to do the job. Somehow i dont think any company would be stupid enough to cut out a large part of their market for something so small. Not everyone upgrades their computers often, i know people still using pentium 3 computers from donkeys years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

think about the move from usb1.1 to 2.0. there were no major issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I think what cookie is saying is, USB3.0 is backward compatible. So when devices are no longer available with 2.0 connectors you can just buy a 3.0 device and it will work perfectly on your USB2.0 port.

The only difference is, if you have a 3.0 HDD the speeds that you will get plugging it into a 2.0 port will be less than that of a 3.0 port.

exactly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Teutorix wrote: »
    If that happens, there will probably be thrid party adapters to do the job. Somehow i dont think any company would be stupid enough to cut out a large part of their market for something so small. Not everyone upgrades their computers often, i know people still using pentium 3 computers from donkeys years ago.
    Ah yes, hadn't thought of third party adapters.
    Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I think what cookie is saying is, USB3.0 is backward compatible. So when devices are no longer available with 2.0 connectors you can just buy a 3.0 device and it will work perfectly on your USB2.0 port.

The only difference is, if you have a 3.0 HDD the speeds that you will get plugging it into a 2.0 port will be less than that of a 3.0 port.
    But on portable harddrives it takes two USB2 ports to power a USB3 device and if they stopped making them with the extra connector it'd be a pain if someone was after spending alot on a new lappy now with no USB3. I didn't see it happening but was cautious.

• Advertisement

Not all portable drives require 2 usb ports. I've 3 portable drives and only the western digital requires two ports to power it. My two seagates dont. But I take your point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Not all portable drives require 2 usb ports. I've 3 portable drives and only the western digital requires two ports to power it. My two seagates dont. But I take your point
    Oh, I didn't know there was models that didn't need the extra one. Great, thanks.

It can be due to the motherboard and usb ports attached. Some are under powered and wont on their own power a hard drive.

Advertisement