Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of fire extinguishers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

AFAIK if you're going to have only one, CO2 is the best all-purpose extinguisher, as you won't be electrocuted if you use it on an electrical fire.

However, from having (many years ago) completed a training course on using fire extinguishers, I seem to remember that in any situation the best specific extinguisher for that fire was far more effective than the CO2 unit.

In other words if you have a paper fire, for example, then a water extinguisher will be better than CO2. I think its only for electrical fires that CO2 is the preferred type (though I could be wrong on that).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    AFAIK if you're going to have only one, CO2 is the best all-purpose extinguisher, as you won't be electrocuted if you use it on an electrical fire.

However, from having (many years ago) completed a training course on using fire extinguishers, I seem to remember that in any situation the best specific extinguisher for that fire was far more effective than the CO2 unit.

In other words if you have a paper fire, for example, then a water extinguisher will be better than CO2. I think its only for electrical fires that CO2 is the preferred type (though I could be wrong on that).

CO2 extinguishers have other uses too,and not just for fires.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those Extinguishers are Dry Powder, and are suitable for electrical fires.
    Dry powder is a good all round choice as it does most fire types except burning metal which in fairness you won't usually encounter.
    They are good value for that money.
    Most places recommend that you have an extinguisher that you have a Dry Powder one because they don't risk you getting a shock from an electrical fire.
    Say there was a paper fire for instance and you pull out the water extinguisher under the paper could be an electrical cable. You fire a jet of water on to that and it could result in you getting a shock.
    I have a couple for the house and shed and would like to get another couple.
    They last a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 friendlyfella

As a fire safety trainer and ex firefighter i will second what cjhaughey posted.
    The best all round extinguisher is dry powder but they all have their specifics !
    Remember.... a fire extinguisher is there to give you a chance to escape !!
    Stay low and use P.A.S.S- Pin, aim, squeeze, sweep !

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Yorky wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an all-purpose fire extinguisher and where it can be purchased.

Lidl have one this week http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ie/hs.xsl/index_13160.htm which seem reasonably priced but it doesn't say it's suitable for electrical fires (could occur withe TV,computer etc and in a car). I think it would also damage any electrical components.

Argos also have one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7001583/Trail/searchtext%3EFIRE+EXTINGUISHER.htm#pdpProductReviews

Would a CO2 fire extinguisher be the most suitable all-round fire extinguisher?

Powder is an all-round extinguisher, covers all types of fire. Monexx is the best but very expensive.
    Anybody tries to sell you Halon, say no, it's illegal.
    Co2 mainly for electrical fires.
    Water and Foam not suitable for electrical fires. Geat for wood, foam, Oil spills.
    Clean agent the ultimate extinguisher: puts out all types but very expensive ( 100-200quid for 6kg unit).

That's it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

!
    Remember.... a fire extinguisher is there to give you a chance to escape !!
    Stay low and use P.A.S.S- Pin, aim, squeeze, sweep ![/QUOTE]

Ahh love PASS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Powder extinguishers leave some mess tho! Not so bad if it does the job on a decent fire as the mess would be the least of your worries, not so nice on a small fire lol

Advertisement