Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with a rat

• 18-07-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Yis can all have a good laugh at this.
    Am fattening two pigs at the mo, and have been having a problem with a few mink knocking around. They enter the pig house every now and then, driving the pigs mad. So today im talking to the neighbour. The pigs went banana's this morn so he went up to check it out. Obviously it twas the mink again, but they had killed a rat. The mink fled as usual but what happened next is the part. One of the pigs grabbed the rat and swallowed it!!! What happens next? Will they be safe to eat? Im not to confident to be honest. Any shots the vet can give them? They are very close to the time of butchering. Anything i can do or should i cut my losses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Yis can all have a good laugh at this.
    Am fattening two pigs at the mo, and have been having a problem with a few mink knocking around. They enter the pig house every now and then, driving the pigs mad. So today im talking to the neighbour. The pigs went banana's this morn so he went up to check it out. Obviously it twas the mink again, but they had killed a rat. The mink fled as usual but what happened next is the part. One of the pigs grabbed the rat and swallowed it!!! What happens next? Will they be safe to eat? Im not to confident to be honest. Any shots the vet can give them? They are very close to the time of butchering. Anything i can do or should i cut my losses.

Pigs will eat anything. I remember a serial murder trial in British Colombia in Canada earlier this year when a guy who had murdered a lot of women fed them to pigs to hide most of the evidence.

Most of what goes through the digestive system is broken down to simple sugars and amino acids so shouldnt pose a problem.

I wouldnt worry about it. But then again i wont be eating them;)

Sorry but i am still laughing:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Wouldn't put me off eating the pig TBH. Just make sure he's cooked well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Get them to do it again, but video tape it. It'd be a bit hit on the web. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

So i shouldn worry, just keep an eye on them for the next few weeks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Plenty of animals eat rats with no problem whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Think of it this way. If you happen to have a bit of a veggie patch near by, the self same rat was probably feeding on and pissing on the veggie you had with your Sunday roast. :cool: But because you didn't see him doing it, you don't worry about it. The fcukers are never far away from what you are going to eat next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Gerard93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Google told me earlier, so take it with a pinch of salt, that rats are also cooked and eaten in parts of the world like Vietnam and Thailand.

I don't claim to know if there's any risk from the pig eating the rat, then having the pig butchered and eating it yourself. But, if it were me, all that bacon, rashers and sausages. Well, ratty wouldn't be keeping it off my plate anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

i know a crowd that had a piggery beside a dump and once the sow was served they were left down to the dump until farrowing.they used to have to get rid after about 4 litters cos they used to be too fat. we,ll take the pig if you want,might let her around the yard to kill afew rats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

johngalway wrote: »
    Google told me earlier, so take it with a pinch of salt, that rats are also cooked and eaten in parts of the world like Vietnam and Thailand.

I don't claim to know if there's any risk from the pig eating the rat, then having the pig butchered and eating it yourself. But, if it were me, all that bacon, rashers and sausages. Well, ratty wouldn't be keeping it off my plate anyway.

This is the main risk
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinella
    but its very rare in Ireland. IAnyway I would say plenty of free-range pigs eat the odd rat - very few are seen oin the act though!

Great story.

I would just freeze it all, and when you come to use it turn the grill up well,

LC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Anything i can do or should i cut my losses.

Don't tell the mrs or you'll be atin a lot of bacon by yourself:D:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

When we were kids we used to shoot rats with my fathers .22 in a pig yard behind a slaughterhouse.There was a big sow there who would come running at the crack of the rifle.She would stand on the rat,break it in two and swallow both halves.She ate dozens of rats and as far as I know no one died when her turn came to be eaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

junospider wrote: »
    When we were kids we used to shoot rats with my fathers .22 in a pig yard behind a slaughterhouse.There was a big sow there who would come running at the crack of the rifle.She would stand on the rat,break it in two and swallow both halves.She ate dozens of rats and as far as I know no one died when her turn came to be eaten.

n=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

LostCovey wrote: »
    n=1

Fron the sows point of view;
    n= dozens of rats

I wonder what Pavlov would have made of her reaction to the rifle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

blue5000 wrote: »
    Don't tell the mrs or you'll be atin a lot of bacon by yourself:D:D

We used (like most people years ago) keep a cow for the house. Milked by hand by the oul lad. Inevitably the cow would flick her tail and you'd get a blob of fresh sh*t off the tail into the milk. Lovely. Even though he milked into a saucepan, then transfered to the bucket, he never dumped any. Just scooped out with a finger....

I'm alive to tell the tale..... hmmm... 'the tale of the flicking tail' (not a bad one, doubt there's a book in it though:D)

As for the rats... sure don't they say they're swimmin' around in the vats at the home of the black stuff. Won't stop me drinking it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bizzum wrote: »
    I wonder what Pavlov would have made of her reaction to the rifle!

I'm sure his theories were used to prove how intelligent pigs are ;)

Advertisement