Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 7 on the phone

Options
  • 18-07-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a smartphone that runs windows ?

I would also need to be able to hook it up to a screen when I was at home.

A last question : is it possible to connect a smartphone to an internet connection via the cable - or does it only work via Wifi (or if you subscribe to Vodafone or other)?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

geordief wrote: »

No.

The only real solution is to get a phone that allows you to remotely connect to a Windows 7 PC, but this might be slow and cumbersome and heavy on your data connection.
    A last question : is it possible to connect a smartphone to an internet connection via the cable - or does it only work via Wifi (or if you subscribe to Vodafone or other)?

I'm not sure what you mean. What "cable" are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

No.

The only real solution is to get a phone that allows you to remotely connect to a Windows 7 PC, but this might be slow and cumbersome and heavy on your data connection.
    Are you talking about some kind of a bluetooth connection?
    Would the PC in question need to be loaded with the same application as that on the smartphone -or would the PC just be providing the screen?

I'm not sure what you mean. What "cable" are you referring to?

I mean the same cable that goes into the back of my PC (the one that carries the broadband signal from the wireless broadband dish on my roof )
    I know it will not fit into my present smartphone but might there be an adapter that would allow a smartphone to receive the signal directly from this cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Are you talking about some kind of a bluetooth connection?
    Would the PC in question need to be loaded with the same application as that on the smartphone -or would the PC just be providing the screen?

If you wanted to access the PC through your smartphone on your mobile internet, it might use a lot of data and it could end up costing you an arm and a leg. Via WiFi or bluetooth there wouldn't be the same cost, but the app itself might be pretty slow. Plus, using a Windows 7 PC on a touchscreen designed for a comparatively small resolution is no easy task.

The PC would most likely need to be loaded with the same application as the smartphone.

I mean the same cable that goes into the back of my PC (the one that carries the broadband signal from the wireless broadband dish on my roof )
    I know it will not fit into my present smartphone but might there be an adapter that would allow a smartphone to receive the signal directly from this cable?

I don't know what kind of connector that is, but I really doubt it. Most smartphones only have ports for connecting the phone to a PC. As for adapters, even if you do manage to find one it'll probably be useless unless the smartphone has the software to decode the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Thanks

HTC HD2 was able to run windows. I think thats the closest your going to get to a phone running windows. But its stupid as windows isnt meant to be run on phones. Your not going to be able to plug a LAN cable into it either :) Wifi Only or built in data card

Closes to it maybe a windows 7 slate?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

Closes to it maybe a windows 7 slate?
    what about a notebook(netbook) ? Is that just the same as a very small laptop?
    Could I also connect that to any screen I wanted as well as plugging it into a LAN line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sea08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Boradan

Use a wireless router to connect the cable to. Your Smartphone would then be able to access the internet over Wi-Fi.
    Also, if you have an android smartphone, you can use one of the many available 'remote desktop' applications. The same goes for WP7 or iOS phones. This isnt great using your data plan unless you are in a 3g covered area, but its fine over wifi access points.

Why do you NEED to run windows 7 on your phone though?
    What sort of programs do you need to access?

Andy

Advertisement