Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping harddrive from Dell inspiron 6400 to Inspiron 1525

Options
  • 18-07-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Guys,

I have a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop and the harddrive is after going Kaput. Luckily (or unluckily i dont know yet) I also have a dell inspiron 6400 with a good harddrive but the screen is hanging off and a few buttons are missing (wasnt me).

So I was just wondering if it is possible to easily remove the broken harddisk from the 1525 and replace it with the harddrive of the 6400. By easily I mean is all I have to do is slot it in and away I go kind of thing?

If I do this will any data be lost switching over the hardrive to the 1525 laptop?

Both machines are running Vista.

Any information will help!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I did this about two months or so ago. The two laptops were exactly the same too.

Straight swap, and then just reinstalled the OS. Make sure you have the Windows disks I suppose. But it is a straight swap.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Berks

Hi Alanstrainor, cool I was hoping they were same. Do I need the installation disks or can I reinstall from partition on harddrive?

Also do dell send out window disks??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Berks wrote: »
    Hi Alanstrainor, cool I was hoping they were same. Do I need the installation disks or can I reinstall from partition on harddrive?

Also do dell send out window disks??

Well you are swapping the disks, so there will be no partition there to reinstall from no?

I don't think Dell send out disks. Not 100% though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Berks

Hmm right, yeah that's my next problem so. Dell dont give the disk with computer I understand so I dont have the installation disks....
    Thanks for that anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

It should work, you will be asked to reactivate windows and it should work when you put in the Certificate Of Autneticity Number on the 1525
    Do not reinstall if you want to keep Data!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement