Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gene ireland beef bulls

• 18-07-2011 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Have any of you lads any experience with the Gene Ireland Beef Programme. I was thinking of getting some straws from them this year. The two bulls that I was especially interested in are KCE (Dovea Blonde) and CBQ (Progessive Parthenaise). I have some ordinary AAx & Whiteherd cows with loads of milk and I was going to use them on them to see could I get some heifers to up-grade the herd. They both should have calves on the ground, have any of ye seen any.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

ye we used stq and kyr belgian blues and on the next batch of bulls we used ere and the other lim bull Dauphin can't remember his code. like the look of that blonde bull alright his figures are decent too.At €5 you can't go wrong me thinks. They will have a new batch of bulls on test out for sept -oct i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 overdebar

For a €5 was thinking the same myself. ERE looks like a super bull.
    Do ICBF come out to weigh the calves at some stage and do you have to keep any extra records on the calves for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

not sure only due our first calves from gene lreland bulls in sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

saw some pedigree calves from CBQ that looked great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

overdebar wrote: »
    Have any of you lads any experience with the Gene Ireland Beef Programme. I was thinking of getting some straws from them this year. The two bulls that I was especially interested in are KCE (Dovea Blonde) and CBQ (Progessive Parthenaise). I have some ordinary AAx & Whiteherd cows with loads of milk and I was going to use them on them to see could I get some heifers to up-grade the herd. They both should have calves on the ground, have any of ye seen any.

Were it me, I'd buy a bunch of straws off a proven, 90%+ reliability bull of high maternal genetic merit.

The above named bulls, MIGHT be great, but reliability is low as yet.

I'd go with whats proven!

Just copped your user name, so on this one I wouldn't tip it overdabar, I'd stick it in the back of the net!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi overdbar, welcome to boards, I haven't used either of the bulls, but I think some blondes may not have a lot of milk in them. You'd need to ask some of the pedigree breeders for more details. That kce bull is -92 for milk, so you'd want to have a lot of milk on the dam side, I reckon he would probably be better as a terminal sire as his carcase figures are good.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 overdebar

Thanks for the info lads
    Think I will chance them, I have a few Blonde X cows already and I have got on well with them. I think they put great length in to a weanling especially when you use a B Blue on them. I am only going to use them on a few plain AA and whitehead cows that have loads of milk so they should be grand. I saw a few Parthenaise cattle a few weeks ago and I thought they were smashers. They were very quite animals as well
    Bizzum hope the Limerick lads are able to put them overdebar and into the back of net the weekend that will keep me buzzing for the next few weeks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

overdebar wrote: »
    Bizzum hope the Limerick lads are able to put them overdebar and into the back of net the weekend that will keep me buzzing for the next few weeks!!!

Two bites at the cherry, Sat and Sun. Ya never know.

Advertisement