Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

away we go again

• 18-07-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

first of the autumn calvers calved today a bb heifer calf by wacko van het beekhof (s534). This is our first wacko and very pleased with what i see! calved unassisted and up suckin within 30 mins:D. 6 more cows with times up 2 to byu,1 to edj, 1 to lry(part)and 2 heifers to fl22. lookin forward to getting into full swing.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I guess I'm in autumn calving so:mad:

Have about 20 left to calve in the next month. I think the creep area in the shed will be a lot busier than last year. When is the best time to calve sucklers?:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

blue5000 wrote: »
    When is the best time to calve sucklers?:confused:

About 287 days after conception:D

Ah, I suppose I like Sept, skinned paddocks, calving outside beside the sheds, weather just nice, and more daylight than spring!
    The bigger question is though: When is the most profitable to calve suckler cows!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bizzum wrote: »
    About 287 days after conception:D

The bigger question is though: When is the most profitable to calve suckler cows!

Is there a profit:( in suckler cows?? Old neighbour of mine said June is the best time to calve them, sell the calves in the mart in april when cattle price is (usually) highest. He out wintered everything.

I suppose it depends on your farming system whether you keep the calves to beef or sell them as weanlings. We all know feeding a cow for the winter is the most expensive part of the year. If she has a calf on her she is going to eat twice as much as a dry cow, is this winter feeding worth it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

blue5000 wrote: »
    Is there a profit:( in suckler cows?? Old neighbour of mine said June is the best time to calve them, sell the calves in the mart in april when cattle price is (usually) highest. He out wintered everything.

I suppose it depends on your farming system whether you keep the calves to beef or sell them as weanlings. We all know feeding a cow for the winter is the most expensive part of the year. If she has a calf on her she is going to eat twice as much as a dry cow, is this winter feeding worth it?

I really wish I knew.
    I'll think about it when I go to bed!
    Re; Feeding a cow over winter. I will say this. It's a complete waste of time feeding a poor one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 overdebar

Saw 3 Fl22 calves yesterday out of BBx heifers they were really nice animals, all bulls as well and calved easy enough two had to get a small bit of help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement