Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

floor for cowbox

• 18-07-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

I need to put a floor in the bottom of my coxbox, the existing floor is rotten. What is the best type of timber for the job taking into account cost

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Tomjim wrote: »
    I need to put a floor in the bottom of my coxbox, the existing floor is rotten. What is the best type of timber for the job taking into account cost

Traditionally Larch was the best timbers for trailer floors. Its long lasting, easily installed and generally considered to be the best.

However, it might be worth considering a stainless or ordinary steel chequer plate floor. It might be worth the investment, and if you choose a stainless one, it is likely that it will outlast the main body of the trailer itself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

reilig wrote: »
    Traditionally Larch was the best timbers for trailer floors. Its long lasting, easily installed and generally considered to be the best.

However, it might be worth considering a stainless or ordinary steel chequer plate floor. It might be worth the investment, and if you choose a stainless one, it is likely that it will outlast the main body of the trailer itself!!

I agree as someone with plain chequer plate holding up well in a 12 year old cow box. Wouldn't galvanised chequer plate be an honourable compromise (and won't break the bank).

How much would an 8 x 4 sheet of stainless chequer plate cost roughly?

LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Chequer aluminium could be a cheaper alternitive to steel and it wont rot. It'd be worth pricing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kennedy138

if using aluminium you have to use larch trailer will be there when we are all gone with these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

If your going to use timber your better of to go for iroko,it has a good tight grain and very tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Must do a similar job myself - just priced it - 125euro for 3mm 8x4 sheet in our "local steel place"

3mm would do me fine (for sheep), others here could comment on whether you would want thicker in a cowbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Must do a similar job myself - just priced it - 125euro for 3mm 8x4 sheet in our "local steel place"

3mm would do me fine (for sheep), others here could comment on whether you would want thicker in a cowbox.

Is it galvanised or just plain steel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I'd say 3mm would be loads. Provided its well supported underneath it should never go. Even better if galvanised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

reilig wrote: »
    Is it galvanised or just plain steel?

Galvanised. From what I remember it was 105 non-galvanised. Written down at work, must check in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Douglas Fir is also a good timber if you can't get larch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

In process of ordering a 10 ft x 5ft sheet - cut to size to fit a 8ft X 4ft 10" cow trailer ... i.e. no joint as you would with a 8 x 4 and a strip, its going down on inch and a half one year old floor boards with 2 additional crossmembers going in so id say im safe enough or would lads/ladies reckon i should go for 4mm?

Cut and ready to slide in 3mm E190 and 4mm E225

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Bodacious wrote: »
    In process of ordering a 10 ft x 5ft sheet - cut to size to fit a 8ft X 4ft 10" cow trailer ... i.e. no joint as you would with a 8 x 4 and a strip, its going down on inch and a half one year old floor boards with 2 additional crossmembers going in so id say im safe enough or would lads/ladies reckon i should go for 4mm?

for the sake of €35, I would go for 4mm especially if you intend holding on to the trailer long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bodacious.... somehing else to thing about....

don't just get the sheet cut to the floor size. Most factory trailers have the floor return 2" or 3" up the front and sides to prevent sh*t going down at the edge.

Alternatively if you can't get a lad with a brake press to fold it, at least use a good quality sealant to seal edge all around BEFORE you lay down the sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

snowman707 wrote: »
    for the sake of €35, I would go for 4mm especially if you intend holding on to the trailer long term.

Agreed.
    €35 on the price of the job is small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Muckit wrote: »
    Bodacious.... somehing else to thing about....

don't just get the sheet cut to the floor size. Most factory trailers have the floor return 2" or 3" up the front and sides to prevent sh*t going down at the edge.

Alternatively if you can't get a lad with a brake press to fold it, at least use a good quality sealant to seal edge all around BEFORE you lay down the sheet.

Good man,

thanks for that i saw that done alright but id be afraid with the brake press option that id get measurements wrong and end up making a balls of the sheet!

I might phone them and ask them if i brought trailer to them would they give me a price to press 3 sides and leave a 3'' lip like you say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I was quoted €155 for 3mm aluminum chequer plate for a 6x10 trailer. Your man that gave me the quote said that I would want 3 sheets :rolleyes: 2 sheets would obviously do as the off cuts would cover the last 2' :)

Advertisement