Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff to do in Sligo?

Options
  • 18-07-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hey guys!

So lately I've noticed I've just been hanging around the house doing absolutely feck all.

Since I went to college most of my friends have kind of moved to new groups etc and barely have any time for me so I've been just bumming around wasting my time. It's starting to get to me now !

Just wondering what's the best things to do in the town... Especially for meeting new people and friends!
    I would meet people from this if it came to it but doubt anyone is up for it and wouldn't know what age group some people are in (19 for me :P)

But anyways. If you have any suggestions please let me know :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Don't know if any of these would be of interest:

Tag rugby: http://www.sligorfc.ie/2011/05/17/tag-rugby-time-again/

There are a few things on at the Trades Club now and again: http://www.facebook.com/TheTradesClubSligo

Big brother scheme: http://www.families.ie/organisation_details.php?id=5727

Drama circle: http://www.sligoarts.ie/YouthArts/SligoDramaCircleYouthGroup/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

You could get yourself a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Very rude! the guy said he was in college

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Haha you don't think I've tried that many times? CV's all over the place I'm just not loved :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yeah, because I've noticed there's such an abundance of jobs being handed out all over town. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hang on Im not been rude, the guy seems to be moaning about nothing to do, and to 'do' anything you need lots of 'mula' and all I said was get a job, lots of college students have pt jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Why do you think it is only possible to do things if you have lots of money bus fare from Sligo to Rosses Point or Strandhill is not much go for a walk on the beach, in the sand dunes. Plenty of free events or cheap events happen in the model.
    You say get a job like they are easy to come by. Most colleges will encourage students not to have a part time job as they are in full time education all day and require lots of extra work at home.

Hang on Im not been rude, the guy seems to be moaning about nothing to do, and to 'do' anything you need lots of 'mula' and all I said was get a job, lots of college students have pt jobs.

Sounds like you are to me. 'Get a job' is a pointless comment to make. Are you devoid of the reality that is in this town or something? I've been unemployed and can't find work anywhere, and I've been looking. I struggle to find things to do, and I don't have any money.

How would you suggest I get a job? Do you happen to know somewhere that's handing them out to all and sundry? Cos if you do, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I can recommed the Tag Rugby for meeting people ..I've been out a few times taking photos and it looks like a great social occasion, I was hoping to get at it myself this year but got a leg injury, but its just finished this year

I am in the same boat ..starting going out to the Sligo Golf Academy .. never played before its a bit of crack whacking the ball about and not too expensive!! there is clubs there you can use.

if your musically inclined or what to learn sometime .. Sligo Concert Band where looking for new members .. they will teach and supply an instrument

there is also the Fit For Life running thing .. and all the running races that are going on in sligo.. I was doing this a good bit last year untill my injury! now I'm lost for what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

Hi tom joe I go Airsofting most weekends on Tigerland over on the temple house grounds, great way to meet sound people, great fun, great exercise also.Heres afew links to show u what its about
    http://www.sligoairsoft.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=109842205728175

Afew vids
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-r1ZPHDaI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRXed8WfdQ

• Advertisement

Sounds like you are to me. 'Get a job' is a pointless comment to make. Are you devoid of the reality that is in this town or something? I've been unemployed and can't find work anywhere, and I've been looking. I struggle to find things to do, and I don't have any money.

How would you suggest I get a job? Do you happen to know somewhere that's handing them out to all and sundry? Cos if you do, please let me know.

Hold your horses a wee bit here, I was not looking down on the guy, lets make that very clear, that was your interpetation, you could try Sligo Champion, Sligo Weekender, National Newspapers, loadzajobs.ie, FAS etc... the list goes on

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Why do you think it is only possible to do things if you have lots of money bus fare from Sligo to Rosses Point or Strandhill is not much go for a walk on the beach, in the sand dunes. Plenty of free events or cheap events happen in the model.
    You say get a job like they are easy to come by. Most colleges will encourage students not to have a part time job as they are in full time education all day and require lots of extra work at home.

I said that you need money to do anything, it is a fact of life. If I said 'apply for a job' would that sound any diffrent, i asked the guy a question and he answered, he didnt appear put out by the question. Ok... let me ask you this, if you are in full time education and living away from home apart from the pittance of a grant you might get how would you support yourself? if you are lucky enough to have family with plenty of money then you are ok, but if the moneyis not there what do you do? Answer = get a job

Hold your horses a wee bit here, I was not looking down on the guy, lets make that very clear, that was your interpetation, you could try Sligo Champion, Sligo Weekender, National Newspapers, loadzajobs.ie, FAS etc... the list goes on

I just told you that I thought you came across rude. and it did sound condescending. Someone is asking for something to do to pass their spare time, not some life direction. OP could well have a job for all we know, and a one line 'Get a job' post is imo, both rude and condescending.

Thanks for you're advice, but I was being facetious when I asked that question

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

folks folks u are ruining the poor lad's thread with this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Why can't they just PM each other? Some people love an audience.

Anyway. I'd recommend getting a bike, I spent a Summer unemployed in Sligo and cycled everywhere, Strandhill, Grange, Rosses Point, Glencar, Union Woods etc, bring your camera and take some snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

A lot of positive suggestions have been made but the OP hasn't mentioned any of them. So OP anything of any interest?

magnumlady wrote: »
    A lot of positive suggestions have been made but the OP hasn't mentioned any of them. So OP anything of any interest?

Sorry I didn't get a chance to get on in the last while.

A lot of great suggestions and great ideas.
    The help is really really appreciated. Will most definitely trying out some of these. :)

Keep the suggestions coming if there's anymore. I'm sure there's others out there that are looking for some on the side hobbies as well, Not just me :)

Again, really thanks for all the suggestions guys :)
    I'm gonna make the most out of the rest of my summer :D

darman28 wrote: »
    folks folks u are ruining the poor lad's thread with this
    Here here....mind you there are a few good jobs on the Champion this week!!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't get a chance to get on in the last while.

A lot of great suggestions and great ideas.
    The help is really really appreciated. Will most definitely trying out some of these. :)

Keep the suggestions coming if there's anymore. I'm sure there's others out there that are looking for some on the side hobbies as well, Not just me :)

Again, really thanks for all the suggestions guys :)
    I'm gonna make the most out of the rest of my summer :D

You could still get a job!!!! :confused:

I just told you that I thought you came across rude. and it did sound condescending. Someone is asking for something to do to pass their spare time, not some life direction. OP could well have a job for all we know, and a one line 'Get a job' post is imo, both rude and condescending.

Thanks for you're advice, but I was being facetious when I asked that question

I dont know why you are getting so uptight about what I said, Tommy Joe didnt appear to have a problem with it so why should you, I was merely answering his question, No disrespect to you but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about somthing or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mod note

Please stop with the 'get a job' related posts. I think the OP is looking for social/hobby related activities. Plus they have already said that this is something they have tried to do as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

You could try some volunteering also if you have the time - check out the volunteer center:

http://www.volunteersligo.ie/

Also, IBTS are in the Clarion next Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday from 4.30pm to 8pm if anyone is interested in donating some blood... :)

Jam making! I always liked a bit of jam making!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

OP you need to take up surfing. Great way to spend a summer!

AgileMyth wrote: »
    OP you need to take up surfing. Great way to spend a summer!

Ah Agile I know what you mean! Loads of people I know LOVE to surf but I'm just generally CRAP at it. I really can't get the hang of it.

Like I can play drums like a pro and I could work my around a computer like an expert but I simply can not stand up on a board. I always FAIL miserably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Keep at it, you'll get there!

You play drums? Join/start a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

call into the crib on rockwood parade .. I'm sure some of the teens in there would love a drumming workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Musically minded ? There are a wealth of groups in Sligo always on recruitment drives for people.

Orpheus Choir
    Sligo Gospel Choir
    Strandhill Barbershop Choruses
    Sligo Golf Club Choir
    Sligo Musical Society

A Google or Facebook search should get you contact details for any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

OP how can you be stuck for things to do in Sligo?My problem is that i dont have enough time to do all the things i want to.Fishing,walking,cycling,painting,take a nice scenic drive,cinema,or even a nice leisurely walk through town people watching,few drinks,ect ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Sligo Spanish Society will run a Beginners' Spanish course starting Monday October 3rd, at 8pm. The course will run for 8 weeks, every Monday evening, and will concentrate on practical Spanish for survival in any Spanish speaking country. To book a place or for more info you can send me a PM, or an email to sligospanishsociety@gmail.com.

Alternatively check out our Facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sligo-...79550518736142

Advertisement