Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dhá, dó and beirt....

• 18-07-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Can someone set me straight on this. Dó is for inanimate objects, beirt is solely for humans, and what about dhá?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Dó is the name of the number - a haon, a dó, a trí. Dhá is for describing the number of things, you put it in front of the object - dhá bhliain. Beirt is for counting people - beirt cailín.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi OP,

As a general rule "Dhá" is for counting nouns- dhá ríomhaire, dhá bhliain. We use beirt for people as you said- beirt deatháireacha. We use dó if we are just counting for example- a dó a chlog.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

And both 'dhá' and 'beirt' take a séimhiú (h)!

dambarude wrote: »
    And both 'dhá' and 'beirt' take a séimhiú (h)!

Afraid I disagree with you there. Beirt does not take a séimhiú. Dhá does as you said.

TheBody wrote: »
    Afraid I disagree with you there. Beirt does not take a séimhiú. Dhá does as you said.

I'll have to disagree with your disagreement!

'Beirt' does take a séimhiú (unless it's after d or t), but the other uimhreacha pearsanta (triúr, ceathrar srl.) don't.

I refer you to this for more info on it.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you disagreeing with my disagreement! If you were to go with the rule on pg 29 of that document you should be able to say "beirt lheachtoir", obviously this is wrong.

Perhaps it's a case that there is a difference in the dialects and pronunciations? Anyway, I think we answered the OPs question at any rate!

Maybe I'm taking too much for granted...

Any word that starts with a letter that can be séimhiú'd will take one after 'beirt', save d or t (and s, depending on who you're talking to). That's because of the DNTLS rule.

H, L, R, and N cannot take a séimhiú, so yes, you're correct in saying 'beirt lhéachtóirí' is wrong. I just presumed that'd be known, but I shouldn't have.

And you're right, the OP's question has been answered so I'll shut up now- this is a topic for another forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

dambarude wrote: »
    this is a topic for another forum!
    Indeed! >.<

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement