Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did the Stab City phrase first get coined?

• 18-07-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭

Someone told me recently that this started on Scrap Saturday...Is this true?

I first heard it around '99 but I was a late bloomer (17 at the time)

I know "why" its called it, but whats the earliest recollection of it that you can find.

Something i found funny - if you type stab city into google, it just finds Limerick, despite the fact that there is no mention of the phrase within the article...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

When someone got stabbed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Stab city was first used to describe Limerick way back in the 70s .Fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I heard somewhere today that it was Dermot morgan skit?
    I could be wrong but think it was him that did it

When I first heard it I was on a bus from sligo to dublin alone and ` limerick junkie and his girlfriend were telling me where they were from Limerick aka stab city ( they relished in the fact that it was called that ) it was the longest journey of my life that was years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when limerick received its charter, some time around 1987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Late 1970s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

First time I ever heard it was here on this thread:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Gerry Stembridge & Dermot Morgan coined the phrase for a sketch not realising that idiots around the country would exaggerate it out of all proportions and use it as a cheap, ill-informed slur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Does it go back as far as 70s? I first heard it on Scrap Saturday as a teenager in the early 90s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Does it go back as far as 70s? I first heard it on Scrap Saturday as a teenager in the early 90s...
    Yes,mid to late 70s was a time when that term was being used a lot by the Irish media in newspapers and tv .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Who ever came up with 'coined the phrase'?
    Does it mean the first person to come up with it gets paid? In coins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

easyeason3 wrote: »

Is the liver called that because you need it to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Live in Cork but go to College in Limerick and I'd be far more afraid of Knives in Cork and Dublin then I would Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I heard it in 1996 when my cousin warned me to roll up my windows as we drove through Limerick towards Kerry. I was holding on to the door handle the whole time incase someone tried to reef it open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

In a way I'm glad Limerick moved on from knives to guns. Otherwise this guy might still be alive.

I come back to that story occasionally as it always gives me a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Is the liver called that because you need it to live?

*strokes chin slowly*
    Interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Seloth wrote: »
    Lie in ork.....

We playing hangman ?

My guess is "Lice in pork" :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stroke city is another good name

*strokes chin slowly*
    Interesting...

Your not helping the "Im female damnit!" claim with that line! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    In a way I'm glad Limerick moved on from knives to guns. Otherwise this guy might still be alive.

Indeed.

Nice to see that sort autodarwinate himself as opposed to killing others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Turkana

Yeah... that was feckin' hilarious. Probably the only time I've laughed at somebody getting shot! Was that the guy who had the massive knacker funeral with black horses and the coffin draped in tri-colours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

It was coined at half 12 on a Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Right after we discovered which end of
    the knife was the business end. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

It's new nickname should be "L-M-K". Much in the way Compton is referred to C-P-T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Gerry Stembridge was interviewed by Matt Cooper on The Last Word on Friday last and said that neither he nor Dermot Morgan coined the term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think Rimlick is funnier than calling it Stabbers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Turkana wrote: »
    Yeah... that was feckin' hilarious. Probably the only time I've laughed at somebody getting shot! Was that the guy who had the massive knacker funeral with black horses and the coffin draped in tri-colours?

Haha yeah. The only service he ever did the country was killing himself.

Haha yeah. The only service he ever did the country was killing himself.

QFT - If only all the feuding families did that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Gerry Stembridge & Dermot Morgan coined the phrase for a sketch not realising that idiots around the country would exaggerate it out of all proportions and use it as a cheap, ill-informed slur.

No they didn't.

Gerry Stenbridge was on the radio just last Friday evening where he said that Stab City existed long before he used it in the sketch.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    No they didn't.

Gerry Stenbridge was on the radio just last Friday evening where he said that Stab City existed long before he used it in the sketch.

The phrase? Or the city?

Better question for our more (ahem) mature boardsies.. How long back can you remember the first knifing in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The phrase? Or the city?

Better question for our more (ahem) mature boardsies.. How long back can you remember the first knifing in Limerick?

1690 when Patrick Sarsfield stabbed the king of the baddies in the brain with a sword made out of hash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    No they didn't.

Afaik the whole "stab city" b/s nick name that limerick got was because of a few stabings in the late 70's earily 80's. The most famous one (for the want of a better word) was in the earily 80's when two feuding familys were drinking in the same pub in the city. Michael kelly (who later went on to be alderman mike kelly would you fcuking believe) was attacked by 2 of the McCarthy brothers who had knives. The story goes, he managed to get the knives from the brothers and then stabed both of them to death.

I cant find a link to the story, if someone can find one throw it up. As for the whole stembridge and morgan thing thats a first i've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I know, completely inaccurate. They all switched to gun crime when they found they couldn't buy any more ammo for their knives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

I think you'll find that it is in fact very well informed. Limerick has a serious problem with stabbing incidents, maybe not as bad as when the phrase was coined, but still prevalent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Nicknames of places: origins and meanings of the alternate and secondary names, sobriquets, titles, epithets and slogans for 4600 places worldwide
    But any negativity stemming from [Frank Mc- Court's novel] Angela's Ashes is benign compared to the "Stab City" nickname, which appears to stem from Christmas 1982, when there were three unconnected murders in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Someone told me recently that this started on Scrap Saturday...Is this true?

I first heard it around '99 but I was a late bloomer (17 at the time)

I know "why" its called it, but whats the earliest recollection of it that you can find.

Something i found funny - if you type stab city into google, it just finds Limerick, despite the fact that there is no mention of the phrase within the article...

Back in the Middle Ages, there were major festivals one of which was organised on behalf of the Guild of Silversmiths. As the name suggests, cutlery in those days was made with various precious metals, eg Sterling silver, gold coated etc. However after somebody developed a cheaper and alternative design, ie stainless steel, such producers were excluded from participating/promoting their wares in traditional old Guild events. Forced to find another means, the new producers staged their own events in Limerick, which was subsequently referred to as Stab city, so as to avoid any confusion with the more traditional and solubrious wares offered by Old Guild members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I think Rimlick is funnier than calling it Stabbers. :pac:

STABBERS! FANTASTIC! Oh, that's so what I'm calling Limerick from now on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Who coined the phrase "coined the phrase"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'd say to goes back to the late sixties or early seventies and was the sole property of a Limerick Lady.

Over the years the title moved around and was even won by Cork for a while until we deported them back to Limerick. Dublin has had a few cracks at the title but Limerick keeps winning it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Didn't some Limerick Major try to change it to "Fab City"
    And then there was an incident and the Limerick Leader reported "Man fabbed"

That could be an urban myth, Pat Kenny told that joke once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Gardaí believe Mr Collopy was showing a friend how to kill someone when he put the gun to his own head without realising there was a round in the breech

He was stupid to shoot himself, but dear god, how stupid was the guy he was demonstrating his murder technique to... 'Yeah that's it, you just put it to the guys head and pull the trigger... No, no, like this!'

Faith in humanity 0 - 500040233049 Stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

mikemac wrote: »
    Didn't some Limerick Major try to change it to "Fab City"
    And then there was an incident and the Limerick Leader reported "Man fabbed"

That could be an urban myth, Pat Kenny told that joke once

Pat Kenny rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Christmas 1982..
    The Mc Carthy murders in the now gone Treaty bar,by the Kelly bros.
    A Lybian student also got stabbed in the now gone Lucky lamp bar in Ellen street with a screwdriver on Xmas eve..Now pretty much forgotton,and a bunch of hooligans going up O Connell st and William st with a golf club and putting in every shop window on Xmas day night.
    Somone got either batterd or poked but not fatally in that as well.

The whole thing was reported in the usual" Scumday World" newspaper factual and fair manner and a journalist Kevin Marrion[decesead] coined the phrase "Stab City" for the headline.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Christmas 1982..
    The Mc Carthy murders in the now gone Treaty bar,by the Kelly bros.
    A Lybian student also got stabbed in the now gone Lucky lamp bar in Ellen street with a screwdriver on Xmas eve..Now pretty much forgotton,and a bunch of hooligans going up O Connell st and William st with a golf club and putting in every shop window on Xmas day night.
    Somone got either batterd or poked but not fatally in that as well.

The whole thing was reported in the usual" Scumday World" newspaper factual and fair manner and a journalist Kevin Marrion[decesead] coined the phrase "Stab City" for the headline.

Fair play to the Sunday World. A quality newspaper if ever there was one*

The stab thing would be funny if it werent so tragically true

* to wipe ones backside with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Live in Cork but go to College in Limerick and I'd be far more afraid of Knives in Cork and Dublin then I would Limerick.

Agree, always felt very safe in Limerick. Always felt very un-safe in Dublin. What people don't seem to appreciate is violence in Limerick is gang-motivated, its gangs targeting other gangs. In Dublin violence tends to be direct far moreso at random people so the average joe is in far greater danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The official motto for Limerick is:
    Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli
    Meaning "an ancient city very fierce in the skills of war"

Apt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The only time students get beaten up in Limerick is when they act the c*nt and p*ss odd other students!! Sure students wouldn't be near ANY of the dangerous ares in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Dunno when the term "Stab city first used but Limerick in the early 70's was well known as "Stab city" or "Skanger town" and a town to be avoided or passed through as quick as possible!! 8-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Ah yeah make fun and mock fierce Limerick, they were glad LImerick was fierce when Cromwell and his buddies came a calling. And ye will be glad of us again next time we get colonised :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement