Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did the Stab City phrase first get coined?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

kilburn wrote: »
    Ah yeah make fun and mock fierce Limerick, they were glad LImerick was fierce when Cromwell and his buddies came a calling. And ye will be glad of us again next time we get colonised :p

I'm just glad that beedin cronnie has stopped singing the " .... you're a lady" song. I'm glad of that already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    The only time students get beaten up in Limerick is when they act the c*nt and p*ss odd other students!! Sure students wouldn't be near ANY of the dangerous ares in Limerick.

LIT is spitting distance from Moyross!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

LIT is spitting distance from Moyross!

Only as the crow flies (spits)

4 years there and never had a problem around Moylish,Caherdavin nor Thomondgate.

It really is just the families feuding. Can anyone here honestly say theyve had trouble in stab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i used to work near moyross and I never got stabbed, now that i think of it ive always lived in limerick and i've never been stabbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

mikemac wrote: »
    Didn't some Limerick Major try to change it to "Fab City"
    And then there was an incident and the Limerick Leader reported "Man fabbed"

That could be an urban myth, Pat Kenny told that joke once

Pat Kenny jokes. Get out of here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

SarahBeep! wrote:

The only time students get beaten up in Limerick is when they act the c*nt and p*ss odd other students!! Sure students wouldn't be near ANY of the dangerous ares in Limerick.
    :confused: You do realise that LIT is in Moylish, which borders Moyross?! Two friends of mine have both been attacked and had wallets and phones stolen while walking down Old Cratloe Road to the student villages, both of which over-look Moyross. I wouldn't walk down that road at night if you paid me, there are so many knackers hanging around it and causing hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Limerick is not as bad as people would have you believe but i do think Cork and Dublin have a better vibe.Limerick's main problem is that it just has this very grimey feeling.There's also seem's be a lot of graffiti with the slogan bullitz limerick life!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Limerick is not as bad as people would have you believe but i do think Cork and Dublin have a better vibe.
    Having worked and lived there i think it is as bad and worse than people think. It's just dead and I've never come across so many undesirables in my life. I feel sorry for the decent majority who have to put up with all the crap that goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Its a pretty depressing and boring place, but id feel safer going out there than in Cork, only last Saturday night a pal got a knife showed to him on Grand Parade and told to quickly f**k off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As a Dublin native who has experienced the outrage and anger of our country breatheren from time to time on After Hours, can I just be the first to say.....LIMERICK FORUM?

Ahhh that felt good. No wonder you lot are always at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Most the limerick forum post here ;) I'm from limerick and there isn't that many knives, more likely in cork or dublin imo. I think the title was given to us quite unfairly by biased media companies based in Dublin (like most things). Before it we were known as the 'City of Pigs' (Back around the 1950's AFAIK)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Most the limerick forum post here ;) I'm from limerick and there isn't that many knives, more likely in cork or dublin imo. I think the title was given to us quite unfairly by biased media companies based in Dublin (like most things). Before it we were known as the 'City of Pigs' (Back around the 1950's AFAIK)
    I thought it was coined by a disgruntled Limerick person as proof that the "anti-Limerick liberal Dublin-based media elite" were out to get ye? To establish an ersatz Liverpool complex, as it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It started after a Turkish guy was stabbed to death with a screwdriver in the 70's or 80's afaik. Someone should be able to get a link to confirm that.

P.S I've walked through Moyross at 2am in the morning and I've also walked O'Connell street in Dublin after that time. There's only one place I felt unsafe and it wasn't Moyross. Go figure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Afaik the whole "stab city" b/s nick name that limerick got was because of a few stabings in the late 70's earily 80's. The most famous one (for the want of a better word) was in the earily 80's when two feuding familys were drinking in the same pub in the city.

Infamous?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

DarkJager wrote: »
    P.S I've walked through Moyross at 2am in the morning and I've also walked O'Connell street in Dublin after that time. There's only one place I felt unsafe and it wasn't Moyross. Go figure.

Was it O'Connell Street?

• Advertisement

As a Dublin native who has experienced the outrage and anger of our country breatheren from time to time on After Hours, can I just be the first to say.....LIMERICK FORUM?

Ahhh that felt good. No wonder you lot are always at it.
    If this thread was on Dublin, would you be telling people to take it to the Dublin forum : rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

grenache wrote: »
    If this thread was on Dublin, would you be telling people to take it to the Dublin forum : rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Limerick gained its infamous moniker the day afer the city was founded.

Cork and Dublin are much bigger places though!

DarkJager wrote: »
    It started after a Turkish guy was stabbed to death with a screwdriver in the 70's or 80's afaik. Someone should be able to get a link to confirm that.

One place is a suburb the other is the busiest street in the country.As you said yourself go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Get with the times.
    Limierick is no longer called "Stab City" as they use guns instead now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Get with the times.
    Limierick is no longer called "Stab City" as they use guns instead now.

Orginality not your strong point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Seloth wrote: »
    Live in Cork but go to College in Limerick and I'd be far more afraid of Knives in Cork and Dublin then I would Limerick.

Yeah, cause you'd get shot in Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Orginality not your strong point?

ya whah ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Because when ya listen to their accent it feels like you're being stabbed in every one of your vital organs.

Advertisement