Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

set up an ssd + hdd

Options
  • 18-07-2011 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

hi there

i'm trying to get the intel smart technology to work properly and use it to accelerate my HDD , i'm using an asrock pro 3 , with a crucial m4 64gb + samsung f3 hdd .
    i cant see the accelerate tab or button in the smart technology window . and many programs are not installing on the HDD. some are installed !
    i want to have the OS & some small programs such as browsers + antivirus , installed on the ssd . and also have bigger programs installed on the HDD .
    but so far i'm gettin mixed reactions from the pc or os or hdd or smart response !!!
    i have the disks on ahci mode .
    any ideas how to solve this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I haven't done it before, but you will need to use RAID rather than AHCI mode.

This is a short guide on setting it up, might be helpful.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/05/13/what-is-the-intel-z68-chipset/5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

AFAIK, the max. size that Intel allows with their RST is 60GB. You might have to partition off some of the SSD to get it to work. Maybe use the other 4GB for a RAMdisk or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 daba

thanx a lot for the advice.
    about the raid configuration, i'm not sure i can do it :confused: as i'v never did it before and at this stage i dont wanna run the risk of losin any data and reinstallin again...
    i was thinking to use the ssd as a normal drive , install everything on it (after al 64Gb is not that little) . OS , application. softwares... and keep an eye on the size usage. do you think it will perform very well this way . and i will use the hdd for storage .
    will i need to change anything in the bios configuration , or will i lose in ssd performance and speeds ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Well what do you have so far?
    Do you have windows installed and where(HDD or SSD)?

You should have no issue running windows off of the SSD, but you will need to install it onto it if you currently have Windows on the HDD. That means a clean install, there is no way to transfer the Windows install.
    As for the BIOS, you have it in AHCI mode so that is fine, you won't need to change anything. A word of advice, if you are doing a clean install of Windows to your SSD, remove the HDD from your system(i.e. plug out the SATA cable) as it will make things easier to do if you have just one drive in the system.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Well what do you have so far?
    Do you have windows installed and where(HDD or SSD)?

You should have no issue running windows off of the SSD, but you will need to install it onto it if you currently have Windows on the HDD. That means a clean install, there is no way to transfer the Windows install.
    As for the BIOS, you have it in AHCI mode so that is fine, you won't need to change anything. A word of advice, if you are doing a clean install of Windows to your SSD, remove the HDD from your system(i.e. plug out the SATA cable) as it will make things easier to do if you have just one drive in the system.

Fluffy thanx a lot for the good advice , i actually i did what u just mentioned , this is a new built so both drives were free , and i installed w7 on the ssd first then basically reconected the sata cable to the hdd afterwards .

now i cant get the video card to work , i will probably start a new thread if this persist in the next few days , i will remove and carry on using the onboard graphics, dont have time now for it .
    thanx a lot everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Using the SSD as normal sounds like the best option. I think ST is really only useful if you want to reues older smaller drives below the 60GB mark or if you can't keep a tidy c-drive.

Is your graphics card not working at all? Blank screen?

Monotype wrote: »
    Using the SSD as normal sounds like the best option. I think ST is really only useful if you want to reues older smaller drives below the 60GB mark or if you can't keep a tidy c-drive.

Is your graphics card not working at all? Blank screen?

well not blank but black , i thought with the lucid virtue i'm suppose to coonect the monitor to the mobo ! last night i got black screen when i did this , but when i used the G card i had some of the screen the rest was missin , as if i was using 2 monitors .
    this morning and becuase of the programs installations issue i had reinstall everything ( did a clean install) but the graphics card did not work ,the screen was black i didnt install any drivers. i had black screen no matter where i plug the monitor , mobo or the card !!!!
    i'm not totally worried about hardware malfunction , as everything worked last night .
    i didnt mess up witht the bios .
    for now i'v removed the card . the screen is bit more green than normal and there is no red colour :eek: i guess this is due to the things mentioned above .
    what do u think of this !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is it black for even startup before windows?

If the card is installed correctly, all the proper cables are in, the monitor is plugged into the card (assuming cable and monitor are alright) it could be a faulty card. If you think that it could be a BIOS setting, you could always reset it to defaults.

Or a faulty board.

Monotype wrote: »
    Is it black for even startup before windows?

If the card is installed correctly, all the proper cables are in, the monitor is plugged into the card (assuming cable and monitor are alright) it could be a faulty card. If you think that it could be a BIOS setting, you could always reset it to defaults.

Or a faulty board.

ok , i did try the card on a different pc , and i got black screen , so i guess now i have to return it ? what about the mobo , i think i will return it too , i tried everything to get the colors right but no luck :mad: the monitor is working fine on different pc .

time to find a thred about returns to hvs !!!

Advertisement