Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great bassists

Options
  • 18-07-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Looking to discover great bassists or songs with great basslines. Genre isn't important. Any suggestions? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

I love Matt Freeman's stuff (Rancid, Op Ivy and Devil's Brigade). Having said that I know sweet F.A about the bass and what makes a good player, but he sounds good to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jamiroquai, lots of 70's funk, Dream Theater, Jaco Pastorius ... there's a good forum called Talk Bass which probably has similar threads on there that you could search.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭furiousox

Best bassist on the planet imo
    The Rhythm Stick bassline is just out of this world

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Joe Lally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Tradbike

maybe a different type of bass than what you're thinking, but probably best bass player i've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Looking to discover great bassists

"Great bassists" !.... and not one mention yet of the greatest of them all...one James Jamerson. :eek: OP, check out You Tube for anything by this man.

While you don't hear much about him these days, I always liked the original bassist in Jethro Tull, Glen Cornick. Here is a great track with a great bass line and short solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2RNe2jwHE0

BTW, a big +1 to "Hit me with your rhythm stick," quoted earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Kim Deal.

Obviously I'm biased though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

John Deacon

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Demesneman

Baselines I love

Black Velvet - Alannah Miles
    UB 40 - Almost anything they did
    Horslips - Dearg Doom
    Thin Lizzy - Several
    Stevie Wonder - Various

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Paul McCartney has been mentioned already but have to agree, he was an amazingly talented bassist and didn't get enough credit as people focused on his songwriting more than his technique. Also he played the bass line in "I Will" using his mouth!

I actually don't know this guys name, but he played with Rory Gallagher for years and this bass solo (around 2.38 in) and some of his other stuff is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

niallo24 wrote: »
    I actually don't know this guys name, but he played with Rory Gallagher for years and this bass solo (around 2.38 in) and some of his other stuff is great.

That's Gerry McAvoy and you're right, he's a machine. When I saw this thread he was the first guy I thought of (after John Deacon). His bass on the live Rory Gallagher albums is amazing, Stage Struck chugs along non-stop because of his awesome bass playing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Rigsby wrote: »
    "Great bassists" !.... and not one mention yet of the greatest of them all...one James Jamerson. :eek: OP, check out You Tube for anything by this man.

Yep, probably influenced more bassists than any other, check out this partial discography of his, it's unbelievable how many classic tracks he played on.

One of my faves of his is 'I Can't Help Myself' by The Four Tops, it's tough enough to hear the bass on the original recording, but it's an absolute cracker of a bass line. Someone managed to isolate it here:

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Yep, probably influenced more bassists than any other, check out this partial discography of his, it's unbelievable how many classic tracks he played on.

One of my faves of his is 'I Can't Help Myself' by The Four Tops, it's tough enough to hear the bass on the original recording, but it's an absolute cracker of a bass line. Someone managed to isolate it here:

Great stuff all right. Macca is quoted as saying that Jamerson was a big influence on him in the early days. There is a book on Jamerson's life called "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". As well as his life satory, it also gives transcriptions of his bass lines. It comes with a cd which has famous bassists reproducing his lines to songs. The great thing is that on the cd, you can isolate the bass lines to really hear how much of a genius this man was.

A "must have" for any aspiring bassist IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Since nobody seems to have mentioned any of the following yet...

Geddy Lee.
    Chris Squire.
    Tina Weymouth.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

• Advertisement

Aldebaran wrote: »
    it's unbelievable how many classic tracks he played on.

On this subject...another bassist who is among the most recorded, is Carol Kaye. That is her playing on the intro to the Beach Boy's "Good Vibrations". Apart from her work with this band, she has recorded lots of songs with Motown, worked with other famous bands/artists, played on maybe hundreds of film scores, including well known TV films and comedy series. Yet, she is relatively unknown.

There's a lot more great bassists out there than the usual names rattled off.. Flea, Jaco, Wotton, etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Has Phil Lynott been mentioned yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Of top of my head and already being mentioned, Paul McCartney and John Entwistle .Mark King of Level 42 is another ,love his slap bass and John Illsley of Dire Straits fame .
    On this subject...another bassist who is among the most recorded, is Carol Kaye. That is her playing on the intro to the Beach Boy's "Good Vibrations". Apart from her work with this band, she has recorded lots of songs with Motown, worked with other famous bands/artists, played on maybe hundreds of film scores, including well known TV films and comedy series. Yet, she is relatively unknown.
    Yes , she featured on a documentry a few years back about the making of the Beach Boys Pet Sounds and she was one of the great studio muscians who played bass on most of the songs including ,Sloop John B , God Only Knows , Wouldn't It Be Nice and Here Today .Also on the Pet Sounds box set which I have ,there's a tribute to her and all the great records and scores she played on .

Latchy wrote: »
    Yes , she featured on a documentry a few years back about the making of the Beach Boys Pet Sounds and she was one of the great studio muscians who played bass on most of the songs including ,Sloop John B , God Only Knows , Wouldn't It Be Nice and Here Today .Also on the Pet Sounds box set which I have ,there's a tribute to her and all the great records and scores she played on .

There is a film documentary on her life in music, due out soon. She is seventy six and still as busy as ever playing and mostly teaching. She has just bought a new bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Pino Palladino, another great bassist. Replaced the late and great John Entwistle in The Who. Also worked for Gary Numan and was a member of the Royale Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Something a little different:

Al Cisneros - Sleep

Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Bootsy Collins was and is the man for the bass.

LARRY Graham, bought the funk to the Family stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There is a film documentary on her life in music, due out soon. She is seventy six and still as busy as ever playing and mostly teaching. She has just bought a new bass.
    It must be great as a session muscian to leave your musical footprint on many records and albums by so many artists .Look foreward to the documentry .

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    It must be great as a session muscian to leave your musical footprint on many records and albums by so many artists .Look foreward to the documentry .

Yeah, she is certainly a legend in the true sense of the word. Though there is some controversy as to who exactly played bass on some major Motown hits...Kaye or Jamerson. Kaye is adamant that it was she, and while Jamerson is obviously not around to defend himself, people who were actually at the recording claim it was Jamerson. Who to believe. :confused: We'll probably never know for sure at this stage.

Advertisement