Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLI information

Options
  • 18-07-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm interested in setting up an SLI system for my PC. Unfortunately, my knowledge is limited to merely the basic concept of it :D I'm just wondering if my motherboard supports it and if it's worth doing.

My motherboard is an MSI 770-G45, AM3, and my graphics card is the Palit GTX460 768MB, PCI-Express.

So is it as simple as just buying another card? (Must it be the same card? This doesn't bother me as I'd probably buy the same card again if I were to do this anyway). Or does my hardware limit me? What kind, if any, software setup will be involved?

By the way, my PSU is 650W, so I don't think it should be a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

According to msi.com your board doesn't support SLI. That's as far as my knowledge goes :P It does support Crossfire but I'm thinking you can only Crossfire ATI cards and not nVidia one's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Sadly SLi requires your motherboard to be specially certified by nVidia. Your motherboard doesn't support it unfortunately. :(

However, SLi is really as simple as adding a second of the same card (though they can be different brands). Not sure on the PSU though, most would recommend 750 to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

As said, your motherboard doesn't support SLI.
    However, if you're feeling adventurous, you can try the SLI patch. I haven't found anyone using that board and the patch but there's a few reports of it working with various other 770 boards.

The second slot runs at x4 so you might suffer a few % performance decrease. 650W will be OK for SLI 460s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Monotype wrote: »
    As said, your motherboard doesn't support SLI.
    However, if you're feeling adventurous, you can try the SLI patch. I haven't found anyone using that board and the patch but there's a few reports of it working with various other 770 boards.

The second slot runs at x4 so you might suffer a few % performance decrease. 650W will be OK for SLI 460s.

Thanks. Sounds somewhat promising anyway. What exactly do you mean by "the second slot runs at x4"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

It will have only 4 lanes while your main card will have 16 lanes, though both slots have the x16 form factor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Or in other words, it will fit but your bandwidth is a bit lower. This won't have a huge impact but you probably won't experience the maximum potential of the cards.

There's someone on a youtube comment that got it working with that board. Not exactly the most reliable source but at least it's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Monotype wrote: »
    Or in other words, it will fit but your bandwidth is a bit lower. This won't have a huge impact but you probably won't experience the maximum potential of the cards.

There's someone on a youtube comment that got it working with that board. Not exactly the most reliable source but at least it's something.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate :) It's something to look into, at least.

Advertisement