Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon point evacutation

Options
  • 19-07-2011 12:08am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was anyone around Mahon Point Saturday evening - parents were inside and there was a complete evacuation, any idea what happened? Parents were having food, so just ended up grabbing the food and heading out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Fire Alarm.

Three lights, despite no visible fire. No AFA. It wasn't burnt toast or the usual accidental activations. I'm guessing a rodent eat through the wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

gbee wrote: »
    Fire Alarm.

Three lights, despite no visible fire. No AFA. It wasn't burnt toast or the usual accidental activations. I'm guessing a rodent eat through the wires.

No it would not be a rodent, when they nibble cables like the ones on that particular system, they would cause a system fault as opposed to an actual activation.

Its just the usual health and safety bull****. I could write a book on it, but there is probably a rule about that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

wow, the same thing happened on Sunday at around 2pm. Place was very busy, loads of people having lunch etc and the alarms go off and we all had to evacuate.
    It was a typically Irish scene as we came down the stairs, loads of people standing around like something out of Dawn of the Dead instead of going the f**k outside!

Two minutes later we were all allowed back in.

What I found funny was how they made an announcement on the PA for the manager to come to the head office and literally seconds later the alarms kick off and the 'please leave building' message was heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I had some grub down there today with a colleague, I was telling him about the incident as I had learned from this thread.

He told me that a while back he himself was doing a service all to a shop in the centre about 2 years ago. On the way out he met a chap from the fire alarm service company, he knew this guy so stopped for a chat.

The guy showed him a fire control panel and told him it was a hunk of junk and asked him if he had ever seen so many lights on before?

Is it any wonder its going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 froglet

i was in there some day last week it couldve been saturday.
    and the firealarm went off for a minute when i was in debenhams, but noone was evacuated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 xzara61

I used work in mahon point sometimes when the travellers have their bonfires the air conditioning units (which suck in air from outside) suck in smoke setting off the alarms that and mcdonalds have a least one fire a day

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It was a typically Irish scene as we came down the stairs, loads of people standing around like something out of Dawn of the Dead instead of going the f**k outside!!

I was in Greenwich Observatory last week and the fire alarm went off. The staff didn't exactly rush out and in fact the person I was dealing with insisted o completing my transaction (she had my cc) before evacuating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

parsi wrote: »
    I was in Greenwich Observatory last week and the fire alarm went off. The staff didn't exactly rush out and in fact the person I was dealing with insisted o completing my transaction (she had my cc) before evacuating.

ah well, can't let a fire get in the way of a financial transaction:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Thread reminds me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Thought the same myself as I was reading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement