Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Wooden Climbing Frame

• 19-07-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

We have some young kids and would like to put a wooden climbing frame in the garden. Anyone know where to get a good reasonably priced one??

I have also heard of some people building their own….
    Are there any plans or designs available if I was to have a go at building my own.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GabionGarden

PM I know very good man with really good prices. I send his details on PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is it worth making one out of wood?
    I am only asking because I bought a TP climbing frame years ago from a toy shop in Dublin.
    It cost around 200 IIRC and is made out of Galvanised steel piping.
    The legs are extendable as the kids get bigger and it has weathered very well.
    No maintenance at all and it is still perfect.
    You could easily spend that much on treated timber and not have as good a frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Gardenplay.ie

They sell modular systems so you can buy a climbing tower (from small to big) and add swings, monkey bars, more climbing frames etc as your budget allows. The metal parts comes in boxes with the wood separate and you put it together yourself following the plans. We have five kids ranging from 11 down to 18 months and so we went for the biggest system they had. The climbing tower, two swings, glider, monkey bar, climbing platform came to €1,400. They will put it together for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. It took me three days to construct it by myself. It would have been quicker with help :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I recently built one from wood - mainly because I was put off by the prices I was being quoted - roughly €1,200 to €1,500 for fort with slide, sandbox and swing. Found this book on amazon and used it to build one - (ended up building one pictured on front cover). http://www.amazon.com/Playsets-Better-Homes-Gardens/dp/0696225557/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Timber cost me circa €300, adding another €50 for nuts and bolts, had to buy slide and swing - slide cost €90 and swing was another €40. So all in all had a finished product for under €500. It took me about 3 full days to build - not overly complicated and as long as you take your time and follow instructions I reckon any diyer would be able to complete.

Its now up 3 months and my young lad is never off it :) Hope this helps

Advertisement