Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to start a Rock trad band in Galway

Options
  • 19-07-2011 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi All,

Been playing trad fiddle off and on most of my life - now 37, and for many years wanted to give some material such as Lunasa, Patrick Street a run, by taking some great trad tunes and beefing them up with a bit of electrics.
    However, as with everything life got in the way of doing this, and after moving to Galway some 10 years ago I havent played a lot. In recent times this has changed and I'm now picking up where I left off, while also learning to play mandolin and bass. I also have 6 grades of classical piano with me.

Looking for like-minded and interested people who would consider setting up something as above with a view to gigging about Galway. Attention to detail and respecting the music together with delivering a fun and professional sound are the things I think are important. Unfortunately I cannot sing, so singers would be most welcome.

I note that earlier posts on the boards here seem to have managed to get a group similar to this running in the East, and I'd obviously like to do the same in the West.

While age is not strictly important, I think mid-30's might be applicable - only due to my age - but this is not a requirement. Moreso, the requirement would be dedication to performing and having fun in the process - I've started gigging about with a few people recently again and am only realising what a great experience it is.

I'll not claim to be a brilliant musician - I'm not sure who can - one is always learning, but I do know how things should be - or at least my version of how they should be - open to suggestion based on the fairly wide boundaries of influences such as Lunasa, The Bothy Band, Planxty, Andy Irvine, Paul Brady, horslips etc, or the celtic rock/folk/trad fusion

If anybody is interested in such a project, then please drop me an email and let me know what you could do and your thoughts on such a project. I do believe there is a gap for this style if it is done well.

Apologies for the long post - I thought it important to set out where I was coming from - which I hope I have achieved.

Regards

Comments

Advertisement