Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please recommend a router

• 19-07-2011 8:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times, but I've not got any joy from a search.

I have an eircom modem, but I've recently junked my laptop in favour of a desktop pc and now need a decent router.

Have you any recommendations? Price is a factor but I definately need something reliable.

I'm with Vodafone as a service provider but they don't do routers apparently, I'm out of contract with them so a switch to another provider is possible.

Also, if there are any guides as to the steps needed to set up a router, that would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless your current router is broken, why change at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

jor el wrote: »
    Unless your current router is broken, why change at all?
    Hi Jor el
    Thanks for the reply . My sitcom modem is in the hall and my pc is upstairs so. I need to be able to access the network wirelessly. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Anything except Belkin, and probably Zyxel too. There are dozens of different models/manufacturers that will all work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Whatever you buy make sure it's 802.11N (not "G"), perfectly dual band (2.4 and 5 Ghz).

I had a D-Link (OK), a Netgear (OK), a Cisco from UPC (disaster - had to bridge it with a D-Link to get stable wifi), Thomson form UPC (current, quite OK).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are thinking of switching providers and are considering UPC for example then you need to think about getting what is known as a wireless cable router (thats one without an integrated dsl modem) one of these could be used with your current modem in the meantime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement