Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combined Care Question

• 19-07-2011 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I just had my new baby last week and on discharge from the hospital was told to go to my GP on Monday to get the baby weighed again.

The gp told me I would have to pay as this was not covered by combined care. Should this not have been covered? I think it's a bit much to charge €60 to weigh my child, seeing as I was told to go by the hospital.

I've tried looking online for this and a lot of people are saying you're only covered for a 2 and 6 week checkup and others are saying you're covered for the first 6 weeks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

"Infant Care Services

The GP who attends the mother also provides care for the new-born baby; they will provide two developmental examinations free of charge at 2 weeks and 6 weeks following the birth.

The baby's entitlement to other free GP services depends on whether they have a medical card. This means that visits to the GP for any conditions related to the baby's health during this six week period or afterwards are not covered by the scheme unless the baby itself has a medical card.

If you have a medical card for yourself, you should apply for one for your baby as soon as you get the baby's PPS No. You can do this by phone to your Local Health Office. You will not be able to get free services from your GP until you can produce the baby's card (except for the 2 examinations above).

The public health nurse visits the mother and baby at home during the first 6 weeks.
    "
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/women_s_health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services.html

The public health nurse will monitor your babys weight for you and all visits are free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

Bring the baby to your public health nurse to get weighed. That's a free service. We had to do the same with our boy last week.

Advertisement