Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I Able for 4 days?

• 19-07-2011 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All,
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but don't know where to put it.
    I took up cycling for the first time last February and am currently training with a club. I seem to be the slowest in the club. :(
    I suppose I've two main problems; I'm getting sick of being the worst in the club, and I've signed up to do a 4-day 600km cycle for charity. I'd love to do it as it's a real challenge and I've discovered that I can do a lot more than I thought I could but self doubt is beginning to creep in and I'm afraid I won't finish it or, worse still, slow down the rest of the peloton and ruin their enjoyment of the event.
    I do two cycles of 70 km twice a week but I slow my group down. The people in the club are lovely and wait for me but I feel that I'm ruining their cycle.
    I did the Ring of Kerry Cycle in about 6 hours and 45 mins and felt ok after it.
    I've told club members that I'm not sure if I'll be able for the long cycle but they all seem to be ultra enthusiastic and say I'll be fine. I would really like some objective feedback as I know my self-doubt could be effecting my objectivity and I'm not sure my fellow club members would tell me if I wasn't able for it. Any ideas how to judge my ability, or advice on how to be ok with being last in the club all the time as it's beginning to get me down.:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

nettie1 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but don't know where to put it.
    I took up cycling for the first time last February and am currently training with a club. I seem to be the slowest in the club. :(
    I suppose I've two main problems; I'm getting sick of being the worst in the club, and I've signed up to do a 4-day 600km cycle for charity. I'd love to do it as it's a real challenge and I've discovered that I can do a lot more than I thought I could but self doubt is beginning to creep in and I'm afraid I won't finish it or, worse still, slow down the rest of the peloton and ruin their enjoyment of the event.
    I do two cycles of 70 km twice a week but I slow my group down. The people in the club are lovely and wait for me but I feel that I'm ruining their cycle.
    I did the Ring of Kerry Cycle in about 6 hours and 45 mins and felt ok after it.
    I've told club members that I'm not sure if I'll be able for the long cycle but they all seem to be ultra enthusiastic and say I'll be fine. I would really like some objective feedback as I know my self-doubt could be effecting my objectivity and I'm not sure my fellow club members would tell me if I wasn't able for it. Any ideas how to judge my ability, or advice on how to be ok with being last in the club all the time as it's beginning to get me down.:cool:

It will not be easy, but on the basis of training you are able for it. Keep morale and focus up.
    ^h45m is an excellent time for your first Ring of Kerry. In the next few weeks maybe focus on doing some back to back training, ie do say 50km a day for 3 days in a row.

Advertisement