Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has this ever happened to you?

• 19-07-2011 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

After my breaks went on my Nissan Vannette Cargo (converted camper) last week I brought it to the mechanic thinking it would just need new pads....but NO!!!..............Some D*ckhead (it wasn't me, my family or my friends) put oil into my brake fluid and completely f*cked up my van! WTF?

Lucky I know a few people that got me cheap 2nd hand parts to replace. If I didn't get these parts cheap the cost to fix according to the local mechanic was 1400 euro!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Is is it easy for people to pop the bonnet of a van from the outside? My mind is baffled and enraged on why someone would do this!

(The incident happened in Dublin)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

99.999% someone put power steering fluid into the brake fluid reservoir its a common mistake so assuming you and your family are not infallible thats the more lightly explanation than someone popping your bonnet and carefully contaminating your brake fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

and on some vehicles , like Oleopneumatic Citroens and so forth , you're supposed to put oil in the brake reservoir .

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gralus

I only bought the van last month so I thought it might the previous owner who made this mistake but the mechanic said I would of noticed a problem straight away after I bought it (which wasn't the case) so I think the previous owner is ruled out....

No one including me has not been near the engine...I've only opened the bonnet a couple of times...

So i'm left with the conclusion that someone illegally tampered with my van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

If you only got the van last month the oil was already in there. The mechanic is wrong to say you would have noticed straight away.

Really? The oil could of been put into the brake fluid over a month ago and only begin to mess up the van after a month?

Is there any mechanic lingo I can use to respond to the mechanic telling him that this could of happened a month ago or even the previous owner (still not sure about contacting him - last resort)...

My brain is like a messy bananna right now trying to figure this one out....Just don't want to put my hands into my shallow pockets if I find out it was the previous owner who made the mistake!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It was the previous owner. You were not used to the van so you would not be aware what a 'good' pedal would feel like and just assumed that your soft pedal was normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Hence the reason why he sold it,,me thinks,,

If the brake fluid reservoir was just topped up with oil it could take some time to make it around the system and swell the seals sounds like you got screwed. Guy probably topped up everything defore advertising it and put the wrong one in.

Cheers guys for the replies....Have my little baby back in my hands...And thank the fu*k, I got it done for very very cheap...parts cost me 100 euro from Summerhill garage and mechanic labour was free...Phew, I am really lucky. At the start of this saga, I was looking at 1,500 pay out...

Will call the previous owner tomo to let him know what happened as he was genuinely was a nice guy and he or his "mechanic" friend most likely/hopefully, unknowingly put the oil into the brake fluid by mistake. I'm not looking for an apology or money back because Karma was on my side with the final repair price but just so it won't happen again to next innocent punter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

really don't know how it could cost 1500 unless he was charging massive labour . Worst case scenario , a new master cylinder , 2 rear wheel cylinders and seals for the front calipers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I suggest you get all your fluids changed asap. Your van may have had one careless owner.

Gralus wrote: »
    Cheers guys for the replies....Have my little baby back in my hands...And thank the fu*k, I got it done for very very cheap...parts cost me 100 euro from Summerhill garage and mechanic labour was free...Phew, I am really lucky. At the start of this saga, I was looking at 1,500 pay out...

Will call the previous owner tomo to let him know what happened as he was genuinely was a nice guy and he or his "mechanic" friend most likely/hopefully, unknowingly put the oil into the brake fluid by mistake. I'm not looking for an apology or money back because Karma was on my side with the final repair price but just so it won't happen again to next innocent punter.

Glad you got it sorted, 100 euro is very cheap I wouldn't do the work for €100, I got quoted €50-€60 for a rear caliper for a passat from several scrap yards in mullingar, athlone, offaly, mayo recently. Ended up geting all 4 calipers from the north for £30.

Advertisement