Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toll on Dundalk Bi-pass

Options
  • 19-07-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭

Sorry don't have an online link but in today's indo it says that a lot of roads may be tolled in the future and one of them was the Dundalk bi-pass.

This would be disastrous for the town if true. Can't imagine people continuing to use the road if they are being charged for it and will travel through the town instead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

I heard that , has to be a joke
    it will be the end of Harvey norman and all those other shop's , dunne's .

I defo will not use it , plenty of alternative route's we can use :)

what the **** do we pay car tax for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

By Dundalk by pass I'd imagine it means the M1 section that by passes the town, more shoddy writing in the Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

draffodx wrote: »
    By Dundalk by pass I'd imagine it means the M1 section that by passes the town, more shoddy writing in the Indo

tbf that's the way it's being reported on all radio broadcasts I've heard this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You have a by pass that goes both ways? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

mike65 wrote: »
    You have a by pass that goes both ways? ;)

a bisexual bypass? *looks up the number for liveline*

"It's a disgrace, joe."

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It'll be the M1 and as such it will be less than ideal for the town in terms of traffic but delightful for the retailers on the inner relief road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If they reversed the crazy changes in motor tax they'd have no need to do this, we currently have people spending €70,000 on cars that cost €156 a year to tax while people who cant afford new cars are stuck paying circa €500 a year.

Crazy stuff from the Greens when they had power and should be reversed as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Hate to say it folks but now people will know how the people of Drogheda and other towns have felt for years , getting fcuked over by a poxy toll . Its a nightmare tbh . I cant go from one side of the town to the other withouth paying € 1.90 and have to go through julianstown etc to get home without paying :eek:Its a bitch , why should we have to pay it and not everyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭madzers

:
    Hate to say it folks but now people will know how the people of Drogheda and other towns have felt for years , getting fcuked over by a poxy toll . Its a nightmare tbh . I cant go from one side of the town to the other withouth paying € 1.90 and have to go through julianstown etc to get home without paying :eek:Its a bitch , why should we have to pay it and not everyone else ?

Seccond that Drogheda and buissness around the town got screwed when the toll was put on the M1 ,Dundalk got off with it ,The Toll should have been placed have way between both towns to have made it fair ,The chamber and TD,s should have done more :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I thought businesses complained about by-passes costing them customers and now putting a toll on said bypasses and apparently "forcing" people to go through the town is also a bad thing?

Anyway, the M1 is the by-pass, the old by-pass is now the "Inner Relief Road".

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I thought businesses complained about by-passes costing them customers and now putting a toll on said bypasses and apparently "forcing" people to go through the town is also a bad thing?

Anyway, the M1 is the by-pass, the old by-pass is now the "Inner Relief Road".
    In the case of Drogheda it affected business because all the in-roads into the town were tolled and as such many people from the surround villages like Duleek etc. stayed there and avoided the trip into Drogheda itself.

In the case of Dundalk, depending on the location of the tolls etc. this could have a similar affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭madzers

Yes the M1 is the by pass but people of Drogheda should be able to use it to get from the north side to the south side which would also relief traffic in the town ,Theres a Toll near Julianstown on the M1 why have too more on the south side of the town on slip roads ,

In the case of Drogheda it affected business because all the in-roads into the town were tolled and as such many people from the surround villages like Duleek etc. stayed there and avoided the trip into Drogheda itself.

In the case of Dundalk, depending on the location of the tolls etc. this could have a similar affect.

Is there any route which already exsited which has a toll on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I am sorry but, WHAT ?

You're telling me that when a Motorway was introduced to Drogheda and Louth with tolls on it that surrounding towns suddenly stopped going into Drogheda town ?

Correct me if I am wrong here but, How have the tolls stopped people from Duleek going to Drogheda ? You dont have to pay a toll from Duleek to Drogheda.... Well factually thats wrong. If you want to drive to Drogheda via the M1 perhaps lets say from the Donore Road slip to the Woodies one then you do but in fairness, you're using a road you were never using beforehand anyway so I really don't see where you're going here ?

Point taken. But I know there were protests that local needs weren't taken into account and instead of the M1 providing an opportunity for motorists to enter drogheda via the various slip roads, it stifles that just as in your example above.

As it stands anyone coming from Ardee, Knockbridge, Carrick, Carlingford etc. can choose where they can enter Dundalk as it suits them from the M1. Placing toll booths on the various junctions to increase catchment will have a huge impact on this and it must currently do so now in Drogheda.

So while people may not already have been able to that in Drogheda it would have been benefical to the business had they been made able to.

All this excludes the obvious disadvantages to local businesses that lose the through-traffic trade the M1 costs them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Also, depending on where this new toll goes, some will have to pay twice just to get to Dublin.

Can they even plant a toll wherever & whenever they want without govt approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

annex wrote: »
    Also, depending on where this new toll goes, some will have to pay twice just to get to Dublin.

Can they even plant a toll wherever & whenever they want without govt approval?

The proposal to add tolls to existing roads has to be approved by government - in the current financial climate, it's likely to get approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I will drive through fields and across ditches before i pay another toll.
    Greedy cnuts are intent on squeezing the last drop out of already stretched workers.
    Fine Gael are worse than Fianna Fail already.

Point taken. But I know there were protests that local needs weren't taken into account and instead of the M1 providing an opportunity for motorists to enter drogheda via the various slip roads, it stifles that just as in your example above.

As it stands anyone coming from Ardee, Knockbridge, Carrick, Carlingford etc. can choose where they can enter Dundalk as it suits them from the M1. Placing toll booths on the various junctions to increase catchment will have a huge impact on this and it must currently do so now in Drogheda.

So while people may not already have been able to that in Drogheda it would have been benefical to the business had they been made able to.

All this excludes the obvious disadvantages to local businesses that lose the through-traffic trade the M1 costs them.

Theres actually advantages and disadvantages when you look at it. As it stands though, they never have and never will get a cent off me. I currently do M1 pre toll and then Duleek road to Killmoon to N2 on a trip to Dub. I'll run to Ardee and N2 the whole way if I have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Article in this week's Argus (20th July, page 7) about this. Interestingly they say that a toll may not be placed on the Dundalk bypass as many people would switch back to using the Inner Relief Road again, thereby making any toll collection point uneconomic to run.

• Advertisement

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Article in this week's Argus (20th July, page 7) about this. Interestingly they say that a toll may not be placed on the Dundalk bypass as many people would switch back to using the Inner Relief Road again, thereby making any toll collection point uneconomic to run.

I don't know where to look for the traffic numbers but as far as I can remember the numbers around Dundalk are a bloody lot less than those around Drogheda. Also I wonder about the legalities of a toll outside Dundalk since it's part of a PPP and the crowd that built it get a fraction of the Drogheda toll so could the government put their own toll on such a road and gain revenue from it?

amacachi wrote: »
    I don't know where to look for the traffic numbers but as far as I can remember the numbers around Dundalk are a bloody lot less than those around Drogheda. Also I wonder about the legalities of a toll outside Dundalk since it's part of a PPP and the crowd that built it get a fraction of the Drogheda toll so could the government put their own toll on such a road and gain revenue from it?

I think we've all learnt that the Government can do whatever they like :)

Advertisement