Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Week Old - Not sleeping

• 19-07-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Our 7 week old girl will not sleep during the day, at all.

She is OK at sleeping at night, usually goes down at 10, back up at 2.30 or 3 until 3.30, back down til around 7.30 or 8 until 8.30. Last few days she hasn't been as good at night, but usually she follows this pattern.

She'll go back down again then until 11.30 or 12, and won't sleep again for the rest of the day. But sometimes she will wake at 7 and won't sleep again.

If we go somewhere in the car, she'll snooze but if we stop at traffic lights she'll wake up crying. No matter what we try she will not sleep during the day. Mammy is demented! Can't get a thing done!

Now - we are lucky that she will sleep during the night and it'd be fine if she was awake during the day, but she usually roars crying all day.

Could there be something affecting her? Mammy's diet?

We tried infacol - didn't work. We were told to try iBaba, but you can't get in in Ireland, we'd have to order it off ebay.

I asked my OH to go and ask the PHN and GP is there is any medical reason for her to not sleep during the day.

In the meantime, is there anything you can suggest? We have heard of acid reflux - could this be it? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Is she bottle or breast fed ?
    It would be unusual to get reflux if she's breastfed so it would point to something in mum's diet or wind.. bottlefed it could be any number of things from reflux to the formula itself to wind..
    Infant gavisgon is how i discovered my lad had reflux when he went to bottles full time.. it was like making potions when we made a bottle.. collief drops and gavisgon. . .does she go rigid and cry after a feed? or is it just crying all the time?
    She's not sleeping and she's in pain.. so something is not right and the PHN is the first port of call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

cbyrd wrote: »
    Is she bottle or breast fed ?
    It would be unusual to get reflux if she's breastfed so it would point to something in mum's diet or wind.. bottlefed it could be any number of things from reflux to the formula itself to wind..
    Infant gavisgon is how i discovered my lad had reflux when he went to bottles full time.. it was like making potions when we made a bottle.. collief drops and gavisgon. . .does she go rigid and cry after a feed? or is it just crying all the time?
    She's not sleeping and she's in pain.. so something is not right and the PHN is the first port of call.

She's breast fed, but we are trying to introduce formula, and have been doing so over the past week or two.

She has wind quite a lot, and yeah she goes rigid and cries both after and between feeds.

Whats the story with infant gaviscon? Can I get it over the counter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Infant gavisgon is for reflux and you should ask the PHN before using it.. you can get it over the counter but you should rule out other things first...

which formula are you using?

is she gulping a lot of air when she's feeding. .

are you weaning her too quickly? did you go from full breast feeding to one or more bottles? and was she crying like this from day one or just from when she started bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

we had same issue when i was changing our daughter from breast to formula,tried coleleaf and that kinda helped, got the aptamil comfort formula and seemed to help her,its for babies suffering from colic and constipation,i havint looked back since.we also gave her a dummy and seems to help make her nod off to sleep!hope this helps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Formula is harder on the stomach than breastmilk so she's probably just adjusting if it's only happening since you started switching. Try reducing the amount of formula for now, gradually mixing it in to expressed breastmilk if possible rather than switching straight over.

For mam's sanity, you could try using a sling during the day if she's not sleeping rather than automatically medicating. This lets you get on with things while keeping baby close, and they are usually comforted by the close presence of mam/dad so even if they don't sleep, they don't cry either. Keeping them upright can also help colicky babies or ones with digestive ailments. A sling doesn't have to cost a fortune either, they usually start at around €15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What make of bottle are you using - my sister used advent for her 1st child and he had a lot of wind. She is using tommee tippee bottle now and is finding them much better.
    Try changing the brand of baby milk and don't feed the one for a hunger baby yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

my little fella didnt sleep during the day at all until 8-9 weeks.
    We went to spain for a family wedding and brought him with us, he was 9 weeks old and he settled into sleeping during the day over there and now continues it at home, although were lucky if he goes down for an hour in the morning and 30 mins in late afternoon, dont know where he gets the energy from :confused:

Advertisement