Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with lentil receipes

Options
  • 19-07-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi all,

Not a vegan or a veggie persay.... but eat no red meat and very little chicken or fish.

Hope ye don't mind me intruding after making that statement.

I am 18 weeks pregnant and just can't stomach them at all now and have lost another half a stone in the last few weeks - doc isn't concerned as she says baby will take everything and she is more worried about me - I can afford to lose the weight(can is not a typo)

So I am off to Tesco to buy some lentil - love love love dal makhani and found a yummy receipe , am also gonna make my usual veggie soup but am looking for more yummy lentil recipes.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I really am pretty clueless about them.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I put lentils in anything that I would have put mince in back in my meat eating days. I make red lentil chili con carne (i also use tofu istead of lentils either). I also use green lentils to make cottage pie or shepherds pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Lentils go in most veggie dishes really well, although with the green ones you have to make sure you either steep 'em first or give them enough time to soften in the mix. I put lentils in veggie curries and tomato/mushroom/garlic pasta sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Not a vegan or a veggie persay.... but eat no red meat and very little chicken or fish.

Hope ye don't mind me intruding after making that statement.

I am 18 weeks pregnant and just can't stomach them at all now and have lost another half a stone in the last few weeks - doc isn't concerned as she says baby will take everything and she is more worried about me - I can afford to lose the weight(can is not a typo)

So I am off to Tesco to buy some lentil - love love love dal makhani and found a yummy receipe , am also gonna make my usual veggie soup but am looking for more yummy lentil recipes.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I really am pretty clueless about them.

Thanks in advance

One of my all-time favourites is red lentils cooked with a tin of chopped tomatoes until soft, seasoned and then stuffed into halfed peppers, sprinkled with grated cheese and baked until the peppers are softened.
    Yummy with bread and a salad, and great in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Oh, just remembered another thing I made on the weekend, if you've got time to cook.

Puy lentils cooked in tomatoes until the tomatoes are reduced and really thick, sweetened with some raisins and a teaspoon of sugar, and spiced up with a good dose of chili.
    Layered in a a pie shell lined with puff pastry with crumbled feta cheese and sliced boiled potatoes, then covered with puff pastry, brushed with egg and baked until nice and golden.

Takes a while, but definitely worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

My go-to puy lentil recipe is puy lentils + tinned tomatoes + whatever seasoning I feel like and maybe some chilli sauce. Cook it until the liquid is gone and the puy lentils are a nice al dente texture, and eat it with veg or stuff a baked pepper/potato/sweet potato with it and devour. Sometimes I sautee red onion and garlic and add some kidney beans to the lentils. Makes a good bolognaise substitute or tastes nice all by itself!

Curried Lentil Soup- warm and filling, also has chickpeas for an extra bit of protein!

I see you're already planning on Dal Makani... yum. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Arrived home last night and herself had this made:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/eggs/egg-and-lentil-curry-with-coconut-and-pickled-lime.html

Gonna be one of my new favorite dinners me thinks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Advertisement