Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dilemma Masters Vs MBA

Options
  • 19-07-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently at that stage in my career where I have decided I need to widen my skill set. I was working as an engineering for 8 yrs in various different positions, analyst, developer, senior developer, tech lead... and now in product management. I find what I am seriously lacking is the business acumen that my colleagues have, I seem to be a lot slower when meetings are centered around marketing, TCO, cost, planning... etc.

So I have decided to look at options to assist me, firstly I am restrained by cost and while I would like to select a course decoupled from my finance restraint, I can't. So I have wittled it down to options

IMI Henley MBA (3 years) 8.5k per annum

Smurfit MIM (2 years) 6.5k per annum

Smurfit Mgmt Consult. 6.k per annum.

Now I have evaluated each of these, my first choice being the MBA based on how the content is delivered. My dilemma is, am i at the right stage in my career to take on an MBA, should i stay safer with a Msc and also comes in cheaper.

What I'm looking for is advice from people who have been in this situation and their through process behind selecting a course and those who have since graduated and reflection on their choice :D

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

Hi there...

From my professional experience, having an MBA will definitely define/widen your skill set and has proven itself to be a powerful tool when job hunting..

Although it will cost close to 30k, the average salary once employed is easily double this per annum

Hope it helps somewhat..

J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

How well regarded is the IMI MBA compared to say the Smurfit or the DCU version ,both of which complete in two years and are cheaper

Smurfit 30K
    DCU 24K

There is also some crowd in Swords offering an MBA from somewhere in the UK (Cardiff I think ) for 5K

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The IMI MBA is actually awarded by Henley (who in 2009 were ranked higher than smurfit)
    Although it will cost close to 30k, the average salary once employed is easily double this per annum

I here that's more becoming the exception as opposed the rule. But definitely needs to be considered. Getting no subsidy from my employer I'm anxious about the 25k outlay, would basically be all my savings and if I were to lose my job I'd be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thesis.direct

An MBA is probably the most 'exclusive' taught masters available, a fact reflected in both the price, the teaching level (e.g. difficulty of material) and the amount of work required of MBA students.

Generally MBAs from good schools provide good returns in the form of job promotions/pay.

In contrast, other taught masters in the UK and Ireland tend to be of a lower quality compared with Asian and US Universities.

So, an MBA is best but particularly if you are heading west or east or working for a multinational.

Advertisement