Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX System Update 19/07/2011

• 19-07-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Taken from the XBOX forums....

Sometime during the day (Tuesday, July 19th) when you sign in to Xbox LIVE you’ll receive a prompt to accept a mandatory system update. If you are signed into LIVE already, you may be signed out and asked to accept the update and you’ll be back online in a few moments.
    There are no new features that will show up once your system has been updated.
    This update is preparation for additional system enhancements coming to Xbox 360 later this year.

Seems to be quite a large update too. Mine's been downloading for the past 10 mins but my connection is only running 500kbps so its hard to tell how big it is.

Some users on xbox forums are reporting error codes due to the update, hopefully mine will pass without a hitch and I can get back to COD :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bobthebobbob

just had the update and my xbox has died.. getting the red ring now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Disaster :(

Maybe you should go to xbox support or something and see if they can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Does anyone know if this update messes up flashed drives?

LaVail wrote: »
    Disaster :(

Maybe you should go to xbox support or something and see if they can help?

yea, i am gonna give them a call this evening.. hopefully they can do somethign to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Downloaded it there. Everything went fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can you confirm what error message you're getting on screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Profondo Rosso

Just done it, around 100MB for the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

I hate these updates esp as Ireland never gains anything from the additional XBL offerings other countries benefit from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

bastados wrote: »
    I hate these updates esp as Ireland never gains anything from the additional XBL offerings other countries benefit from.

+1, Never a truer sentence typed.

We still aint even got the Kinect voice recognition and the UK has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Just updated mine, hasn't killed the box thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Tried mine three times now and every time it finishes, the xbox restarts and an error pops up saying it cant download the update? Never just straight forward is it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    +1, Never a truer sentence typed.

We still aint even got the Kinect voice recognition and the UK has.

Simple fix - change your location to UK in the menus.

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

PAU wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this update messes up flashed drives?

Apparently it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Mine took about a minute to do this morning, had no idea it was 100MB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

G.

That won't work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KiMiKaL

G.

guess you dont know that it only works till you restart your xbox

by tha way:

Microsoft will start pushing a new update to Xbox 360 owners today. According to reports the update contains no new features, but instead includes necessary code that will set the Xbox up for some background technology that will be necessary for future improvements later.

The update is said to not be very big and will come down to your Xbox upon connection to Xbox Live. After download the update will require a reboot. It could be that the update is to prepare to make way for Avatar Kinect which our source claims will arrive July 27th, which seems to be in sync with what other sources are claiming.

Avatar Kinect (which is expected to be added to the Kinect Fun Labs) is a collection of chat tools for a lack of a better way of describing them. These tools will seamlessly integrate with Xbox Live chat and party chat functionality to animate a user’s avatar as well as allow users to make and upload video starting their avatar.

Speculation that the update is to prepare for Avatar Kinect is pure speculation without confirmation from Microsoft, but if Avatar Kinect is planned for release on July 27th, the time does seem to fit; and with the integration necessary to hook into Xbox Live chat and party chat, it does seem reasonable that this is what the update is for. We will have to wait and see if this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 donjuro

wow, I had to register just to let you numbnuts know that before updating you're ALWAYS supposed to insert a stock drive, AFTER you update then you put your flashed drive back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

bastados wrote: »

...and with an Irish live account on a UK ISP you get even less stuff. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Updated pretty quickly for me, less then 5 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Charred

Initially i had some problems with the update, i got an error code halfway through but i put this down to my router which doesn't get on very well with the xbox.
    Rebooted everything tried again and it worked.
    According to this: http://xbox360.gamespy.com/articles/116/1169257p1.html
    the update is for integrating paypal into the payment system and adding compatibility with the console's new disc format.... although that begs the question what happens if you buy a new game to run on an old xbox that isn't/hasn't connected to live? Will it run...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Charred wrote: »
    the update is for integrating paypal into the payment system and adding compatibility with the console's new disc format.... although that begs the question what happens if you buy a new game to run on an old xbox that isn't/hasn't connected to live? Will it run...?

I'd say it will run as they will most likely come with the update on the disc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

donjuro wrote: »
    wow, I had to register just to let you numbnuts know that before updating you're ALWAYS supposed to insert a stock drive, AFTER you update then you put your flashed drive back.

Do you mean flash the drive back to stock, update and then reflash numbnut?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Can you confirm what error message you're getting on screen?

well, i was getting a screen with green and white lines, but now after talking to xbox support for about an hour the screen is just blank.. it did boot up to the xbox logo once, but just froze at that stage

Had no luck with support.. they basically said that i would either have to pay for a repair or buy a new console..
    They did admit that the console would probably have continued to work if the update hadn't been installed, but still wouldn't accept that the update caused the fault.

They say that it was just a coincidence that the issue happened while installing the update.. not too sure i believe that though.

I am a bit disappointed with them to be honest.. i had heard that they are usually quite good to their customers in these situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

So this messes up flashed drives again ye ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Fingers crossed I get a RROD soon, only have about 4 months left on my warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm getting updates for games that I already had updates installed for since the update, played borderlands after the update , and was prompted to install a patch, went back to it this evening and was prompted to install the same 3mb patch :mad:

Same with 2 other games I played today , prompted to patch every time I run them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm getting updates for games that I already had updates installed for since the update, played borderlands after the update , and was prompted to install a patch, went back to it this evening and was prompted to install the same 3mb patch :mad:

Same with 2 other games I played today , prompted to patch every time I run them.

Sounds like you're stuck in an update loop, go into your memory -> Games -> Specific Game and delete anything with update in it. Fire up the game and reinstall the updates, should solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

amacachi wrote: »
    Fingers crossed I get a RROD soon, only have about 4 months left on my warranty.

You could force a red ring of death.

Advertisement