Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy dunnes stores orange juice!!

Options
  • 19-07-2011 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Myself and mr postman were doing the grocery shop in dunnes stores on Saturday evening when we picked up a carton of their 2 ltr own brand smooth orange juice. Grand value, I thought, on special offer for 2 euro or something like that. Anyways, we get home and are sitting down to dinner (himself with a glass of said juice) when he takes a sip, makes a terrible face, and hands the glass to me saying 'something wrong with this, tastes like bloody paint stripper!'. So I put the glass to my face and needless to say, there was no way I was tasting it because the smell hit me from a distance. 'twas like someone had filled the glass with vodka and poured a drop of orange in to colour it (normally, I would have joyfully swamped the whole carton for a cheap night in but himself protested, saying it was more like methylated spirits than vodka and he wouldn't like to see me dying etc etc). So just to test, I took a clean glass and filled it with more of the juice. It smelled ok at first but when I went back to it a few minutes later, the smell of alcohol was wafting out of it. So I rang dunnes yesterday just to query it and yer one on the phone took the same view as myself (ie to drink and be merry), until I pointed out that said smell of alcohol could indicate anything from White spirits to god knows what other toxic substance. She advised me not to drink it and to bring it back and get my money back. I told her that I had no intention of going to such bother for the sake of a few euro but that I just wanted to inform them in case the whole batch was the same. She said they hadn't any other complaints about it.... Potentially dangerous if you ask me, I mean it could be anything in the juice and there could be 100 unwitting families out there..... Anyone else notice anything similar??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its just gone off.

If you leave orange juice long enough it will begin to ferment.
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100724033929AA7Odg4

Just like grapes with wine :)

Its pretty well known.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any chance of editing your post and using paragraphs?

Understandably you have a issue with the orange juice however unless you bring it back they can't confirm what your claiming so they pretty much can't take it seriously.

Without evidence they are not even going to consider an issue that might be affecting more then one carton of orange.

In-light of the lack of evidence from there side the response they gave was correct and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Myself and mr postman were doing the grocery shop in dunnes stores on Saturday evening when we picked up a carton of their 2 ltr own brand smooth orange juice. Grand value, I thought, on special offer for 2 euro or something like that. Anyways, we get home and are sitting down to dinner (himself with a glass of said juice) when he takes a sip, makes a terrible face, and hands the glass to me saying 'something wrong with this, tastes like bloody paint stripper!'. So I put the glass to my face and needless to say, there was no way I was tasting it because the smell hit me from a distance. 'twas like someone had filled the glass with vodka and poured a drop of orange in to colour it (normally, I would have joyfully swamped the whole carton for a cheap night in but himself protested, saying it was more like methylated spirits than vodka and he wouldn't like to see me dying etc etc). So just to test, I took a clean glass and filled it with more of the juice. It smelled ok at first but when I went back to it a few minutes later, the smell of alcohol was wafting out of it. So I rang dunnes yesterday just to query it and yer one on the phone took the same view as myself (ie to drink and be merry), until I pointed out that said smell of alcohol could indicate anything from White spirits to god knows what other toxic substance. She advised me not to drink it and to bring it back and get my money back. I told her that I had no intention of going to such bother for the sake of a few euro but that I just wanted to inform them in case the whole batch was the same. She said they hadn't any other complaints about it.... Potentially dangerous if you ask me, I mean it could be anything in the juice and there could be 100 unwitting families out there..... Anyone else notice anything similar??

Yup your right got the same one here in limerick last week and was very the same , i have had it on my occasions and thought there was a smell of deep heat of it or tcp its absolutely disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We had this a few months ago with the same orange juice... brought it back and the girl on customer service just threw it in a basket behind her and gave my mother a refund, so she looked for a manager and he said he'd look further into it, never heard anything back though :\

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Get onto your local environmental health officers and get them to check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eastbono wrote: »

A bit of a overreaction when the OP can't even be arsed to go back to Dunnes about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cabaal wrote: »
    A bit of a overreaction when the OP can't even be arsed to go back to Dunnes about it

Absolutely! What overkill!!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Another supermarket's batch of own brand orange juice was removed from the shelves 6 weeks ago and destroyed for being bad quality, this could be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

We don't know OP's circumstances: it could be that he/she lives miles away from the shop and so the cost of petrol would be far higher than the 2 euros they'd get back from Dunnes. It's not always a case of "can't bother"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Indeed,

If i'm due a refund I look at total cost of claiming the refund (time/travel)

If its more than the refund then I don't bother :)

• Advertisement

Nanazolie wrote: »
    We don't know OP's circumstances: it could be that he/she lives miles away from the shop and so the cost of petrol would be far higher than the 2 euros they'd get back from Dunnes. It's not always a case of "can't bother"

OP stated:
    I told her that I had no intention of going to such bother for the sake of a few euro

So essentially, can't be arsed for a few euro, doesn't mean Dunnes have done anything wrong in fairness.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Another supermarket's batch of own brand orange juice was removed from the shelves 6 weeks ago and destroyed for being bad quality, this could be related.

Pure speculation to be honest, its akin to saying something wrong with a Whirlpool cocker but another brands range of cookers have recently been recalled so the whirlpool cooker range could also be fault and may need to be recalled also.

Pointless speculation tbh
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eastbono wrote: »

Environmental Health have nothing to do with gone off products. They investigate public health issues, like rat infestations, or dangerous environments. Don't waste their very valuable time on something pointless like this.

Since the consumer contacted Dunnes about this, and Dunnes were willing to take back and refund in full, there is no issue here. This thread serves no purpose at all, except to soap box. Not everything that happens needs a thread about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I will never buy the 2ltr carton of orange juice from Dunnes, half the time it tastes like nail polish remover. It happens sort of on any off, I'll buy 4 cartons over the course of a month and 3 will be fine, but then another month 2 will be horrible.

I never thought any more of it, just throw it out and stick to 1ltr cartons which always taste fine, weirdly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

OP stated:

Pure speculation to be honest, its akin to saying something wrong with a Whirlpool cocker but another brands range of cookers have recently been recalled so the whirlpool cooker range could also be fault and may need to be recalled also.

Pointless speculation tbh
    :rolleyes:

Pointless speculation perhaps but also a bit of a coincidence... Poster said they MAY be related. That ****in rolleyes smiley :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

"Environmental Health have nothing to do with gone off products. They investigate public health issues, like rat infestations, or dangerous environments. Don't waste their very valuable time on something pointless like this."

This is exactly the type of thing that environmental health officers investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

For food poisoning, yes. In the case of it tasting bad, no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Bear in mind that store branded products tend to share the same suppliers, so if this affects one company its probably affecting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭poppers

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Pointless speculation perhaps but also a bit of a coincidence... Poster said they MAY be related. That ****in rolleyes smiley :mad:

almost certainly use the same supplier nearly all the multiplies get their juice from a manufacturer in the North West,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

And again today... Two Dunnes brand Thin & Crispy Sweet Chilli Chicken pizzas... both of them had green chicken on them... Mum is going down to fill in a customer complaint form later on because this is the 4th time this has happened in the last six months with the orange juice, some easter mallows (some of them were liquid and smelt of alcohol), a dodgy cooked chicken and now the pizzas...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

It looks like it's more a problem with their storerooms or fridges than the quality of the products themselves. Most supermarkets have problems with the cold chain where some items are not properly stored or transported and then put back in fridges. The sudden changes in temperature cause the products to deteriorate much quicker than the "use by" date. In once bought some organic chicken pieces at Dunnes, I always take the packs that have the most extended use by dates. Yet when I opened the pack, the stench was terrible. I brought it back, they gave me a refund, no question asked.
    Last week, I bought a pack of ice lollies in Lidl, when I got home they were out of shape, indicating that they had been thawed then refrozen. Same, I brought them back and got a new pack.

In fairness to supermarkets, they can't be liable for storage issues when it happens outside their stores, like during transports or packaging. They also don't argue when you bring back something, they give you a refund / exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Had a carton (White) of Dunnes OJ a few weeks ago, it was absolutely disgusting but I just thought it was the Dunnes brand rather than anything else.

Advertisement