Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motorway Toll?

• 19-07-2011 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

The Indo says we could have a toll on the motorway (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/drivers-hit-again-as-toll-net-widens-to-all-motorwarys-2824735.html).

No it is the indo, so the truth is far from guaranteed.

I wonder is there sufficient traffic on it to justify a toll? Whenever I've been on the Motorway it was fairly quite. And it could divert traffic to the old road, making it more dangerous, and less attractive as a cycle route that could be popular for tourists.

I'd rather just abolish all tolls, and raise the revenue from excise duty on petrol and diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Ironically, I believe this measure is being considered to "make up" the money "lost" because people are buying more eco-friendly vehicles and therefore are paying less motor tax!!
    So essentially, consumers are being punished for being more eco-friendly. And it would seem that those responsible for our roads feel they are owed this money!! A joke when you consider how it is spent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

considering the improvements that the new motorway have brought, I would have no problem paying a toll. ( toll is less than the price of a decent newspaper)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The M9 is the only major inter urban without a toll. So it is vulnerable to a new toll, despite being the shortest of the roads.
    Reckon a toll between Castledermot and Kilcullen is (unfortunately) quite likely as it's the busiest section and equally as busy as any of the other interurbans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

mfitzy wrote: »
    Reckon a toll between Castledermot and Kilcullen is (unfortunately) quite likely as it's the busiest section and equally as busy as any of the other interurbans.

Ah, that wouldn't be too bad. The worst stretch of the old road was Waterford to Gowran, so at least we can still keep heavy traffic off that bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Ironically, I believe this measure is being considered to "make up" the money "lost" because people are buying more eco-friendly vehicles and therefore are paying less motor tax!!
    So essentially, consumers are being punished for being more eco-friendly. And it would seem that those responsible for our roads feel they are owed this money!! A joke when you consider how it is spent!

Actually it's because some absolute retard signed a contract with the private operators that they would gaurantee a minimum throughput of X vehicles, amounting to Y revenues for the existing tolls.

Of course now traffic volumes have dropped, so the shortfall of €500,000 per month is being paid by the taxpayer, so now they want to introduce new tolls so that the motorist/taxpayer can pay the original toll twice and make up the shortfall so that Exchequer can use that 500,000 per month on something else...problem solved!!!!!

The mind boggles with stupidity. Surely a core principle of a PRIVATE operator is that they take on the risk of lower throughputs and revenue. Sure everyone in the country would be starting up businesses if the government gauranteed minimum yearly turnover!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Maybe we could charge for Trolls on here as well, would be a good money spinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

theres an unguranteed bond of 40 million due to mature next friday week ,and it will be paid off in full while the motorist will be helping pay for it and many others coming down the line ,no doubt new tolls are part of the imf "package"

Advertisement