Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indestructible squeaky toy - does it exist?

• 19-07-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

My retriever is a holder and carrier of toys, his friend a setter is a DESTROYER!!:rolleyes: :pac: Any toys I bring to the park for my guy get wrecked by his friend - top bitten off the wubba, kong squeaky balls cracked and disgarded when the squeak is gone, soft squeaky balls shredded, kong squeaky bone bitten in half etc etc Now once there's shreads of toy around the place my guy will take them and run around or sit chewing them - sometimes he eats them and gets sick.
    Is there an indestructible squeaky toy? I tried one of those bad cuz ball things (looks like a ball with devil horns and legs) and he wasn't interested - it had been left out in the rain and the squeak had stopped working after my guy took a dislike to it - he's more of a plush toy/rope/ball dog.:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I very much doubt it. My staff annihilates anything that squeaks. In fact she locates the squeaker, rips it out and spits it onto the floor. The problem is that anything which squeaks, needs to be soft enough to squeeze, which is ultimately its downfall. The only thing that's survived our staffie is a large kong, and that's because it's super-hard rubber and slightly too big for her to get a good grip on.

We get a real sense of the power of the dog's jaws when she takes a tennis ball in her mouth and effortlessly compresses it like an executive stress ball. Remember the beginning credits of "Bionic Woman"? Like that, only the tennis ball doesn't burst.

What we've been doing, rather than getting upset about €15 toys that are destroyed in less than an hour, is buy cheap squeak toys from the local €2 shop. We'll get a month out of five of them for a tenner. Rather than two days out of something bought from a pet shop. She doesn't each much of them, 99% of it is spat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Same here, the only thing my staff will knock an amount of fun out of is an empty 2 litre plastic coke bottle, he can never seem to get a proper grip lol. Anything else he mauls to death :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The cheapo ones last all of 5 mins seamus so not even worth the €2!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

blue handballs/squash balls are great they get great fun out of them bouncing everywhere but they don't squeak and are very hard to destroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My setter does the destroy/spit out as well.

Tennis balls become "baldy balls". Rope toys get the chew and destroy treatment too. squeaky bones and furry toys don't last half an hour with her. As have most of my slippers.

She loves the plastic bottle as well. For about 2 minutes til she gets the lid off. Job done, loses interest.

I did get a squeaky ball in woodies a few weeks ago, it's called a "cheese ball" and it's not quite as soft as other sqeakers, and a nice size, just a tiny bit bigger than a tennis ball. 3 weeks old and counting...
    image-AJ8E9WIO0GQY9JJ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Hahaha, If anyone finds one i'd love to hear about it, my 2 destroy everything :D. They were out yesterday morning for 40mins (in the rain :o) bought home and we played football in the garden and then after dinner did 15mins training, and my reward for all the love and attention was bits of the football all over the house by 3pm :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Zooplus had an egg shaped ball that's pretty tough it's not squeeky though. Hard to find one that squeeks that they can't break, mine look after their toys but parents dog keeps breaking the squeeky ones so I've given up. Black kongs are fun but they don't squeek either if you find a squeeky toy he likes try to get one or two sizes bigger than recommended for the breed size that way he'll find it harder to break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

I bought that yellow egg ball from zooplus for my collie figuring it would keep him busy and the sod completely ignores it. A total waste of €30 :(

I think we've tried everything that been suggested. If it doesn't squeak he's not really bothered. So glad my guy doesn't destroy his stuff like that. If I ever have to go hunting I know who to bring - my guy to carry the ducks - not Jaws!!:D

PS mods - apologies but i hit repot earlier on the touch site instead of the reply button!!:rolleyes:

Right thought I'd give an update :) Every now and again I'll donate unwanted toys to dogs trust, dogs aid etc so I usually have a box put aside and once it fills up I drop it up to them. I was in the process of gathering some toys and got the cuz thing - I bounced it off the ground to see if my guy showed any interest and low and behold it squeaked - when I say squeak it's more like a fart/quack :pac: I read online that if you cut the leg things off it's more robust/they're not there as a chewing hazard so sliced them off, tried my guy with it one more time but he didn't want it. So I saved it and brought it to the park for his buddy - he still has it! :D Now the squeak bit fell out after a couple of weeks but he still plays with it and loves it.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-toys-rubber-dog-toys-c-439_699/jw-pet-bad-cuz-dog-toy-p-3728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ok.. so does it have to be a squeaky toy??

as my cocker shreds ALL toys in seconds ... however i have found dog proof teddies??

here's my guys favourite:

http://www.dog-toy.co.uk/dogproducts/?product=242

althought he ears get chewed off ...the donkey actually stays intact ... last me months.... plus its makes a donkey sound... it sooo funny!!... my cocker goes everywhere with this guy! in fact it kinda look a tad camp walking everywhere with a teddie in his mouth... hardly manly is it!!
    I order them from UK as i cant get them here!

http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Interpet_Softee_Chatterbox_Duck_Dog_Toy.html

or this one is great too.... very strong and it makes quacking sounds

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

If you're not fussy about having the squeak, we got one of the big fake tongue toys about two or three years ago and it's still going strong! We have a boxer and a massive labrador who destroys EVERY toy he gets.

Amazon link

6a00e550df20b188340133ec88a4ba970b-320pi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My setter does the destroy/spit out as well.

Tennis balls become "baldy balls". Rope toys get the chew and destroy treatment too. squeaky bones and furry toys don't last half an hour with her. As have most of my slippers.

She loves the plastic bottle as well. For about 2 minutes til she gets the lid off. Job done, loses interest.

I did get a squeaky ball in woodies a few weeks ago, it's called a "cheese ball" and it's not quite as soft as other sqeakers, and a nice size, just a tiny bit bigger than a tennis ball. 3 weeks old and counting...
    image-AJ8E9WIO0GQY9JJ.jpg

Sorry mods for bumping an old thread but....

Yesterday the cheese ball died. It was the longest living squeaky toy I ever bought. So much so I bought a second one which is still going strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Wow excellent on Cheeseball!

I have found Tuffy products good but expensive, got mine online

English supplier but may have Irish retailer. If you navigate the site you should find more about them

http://www.collarways.co.uk/pages/mega-toys-for-large-dogs/4921

LMoon

The JW toys are really good and strong. I got him a lovely blue isqueak ball there last week so he could play with that and not destroy my guys new orbee ball.. he dropped it and it went into the river!! The swans were there and one started to hold his wings out telling the dogs to get lost so we decided to leave it nd not chance letting them in after it lol!! The orbees are meant to be really strong but they're dear so not chancing the red devil ripping it up lol!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I love the invincible plush toys from Kyjen they last ages and are amazingly durable! Their products are amazing this is a video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmLy10xUyxU

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

We have tried every toy known to man and dog :).
    We have a medium size lab cross with a set of jaws that can chew through anything.
    I have been known to spend serious money on toys that promise to be indestructible (the fact that we are in a recession is probably down to me,I'm one of those people Enda was talking about earlier :D ).
    And yet my search goes on ;). Nothing can withstand the power of the puppy!!!.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I got this plushy vulture from Pet Bliss about six months ago for my black Lab and at the time I only got it to spoil her and because I liked the look of it. Now I have to say that even though it was pricey it's been so worth it. In all this time she has gnawed on it and chewed on it and licked it and dragged it and thrown it around the place and I'm only seeing a tiny, tiny sign of wear now, months on.

This is a dog that utterly destroys any toy within minutes so I can't even express how impressed I am by this toy.

Thinking of getting her a new one for next Christmas!

EDIT: Just realised it's been discontinued. :mad::mad::(

Advertisement