Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAN number for broadband

• 19-07-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

hi recently moved to a rented place there is a phone line its not connected looking to get vodaphone broadband but they need a uan number

no idea who was here before or who were they connected to before there is a number on the phone socket starting with L1 005 is that it

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The phone line needs to be active to get a UAN. You get the UAN from whatever company holds it. For an inactive line, you go to eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Whoever you spoke to in Vodafone didn't know what they were talking about, UANs are only relevant if you're switching providers e.g. switching from Eircom to Vodafone or vice versa. UANs are only relevant for active accounts.
    If you're moving into a new house or apartment you'll just need to get the phone line reactivated, any ISP should be able to do it using your address, you don't need Eircom to do it. www.bonkers.ie is a good price comparison website for broadband if you want to check your area.

jor el wrote: »
    The phone line needs to be active to get a UAN. You get the UAN from whatever company holds it. For an inactive line, you go to eircom.
    Why go to Eircom when any ISP is allowed to place an order with Eircom to reactivate a line under Comreg regulations?. Eircom might be cheaper and offer special deals but thats because one division of Eircom is subsidising another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom apply a minimum term of 6 month to any new line activation now. I've read conflicting reports on whether or not an alternate supplier can get around this. I've contacted Comreg about this minimum term, and they've said there's nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't counter any of their rules.

As such, I don't know whether you can get a line activated by another ISP, without paying eircom their 6 months.

You can, I've done it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes this has come up now a number of times it is possible to order your new line through any dsl provider.

From previous threads it appears that the various companies may not have proper procedures in place for this or at least have their staff informed of them. ( I think there was a thread about Magnet in this respect a while ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's only possible if the CSR staff you end up talking to will agree that they can reactivate a phone line! Vodafone seem to say that they have no mechanism in place to reactivate lines but I suppose the only way to confirm with Vodafone is to set up a thread in their forum to specifically ask this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's only possible if the CSR staff you end up talking to will agree that they can reactivate a phone line! Vodafone seem to say that they have no mechanism in place to reactivate lines but I suppose the only way to confirm with Vodafone is to set up a thread in their forum to specifically ask this.
    I spoke to Vodafone about this recently - they can reactivate the line but you'll need your old UAN and you'll be into a 12 month contract.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I spoke to Vodafone about this recently - they can reactivate the line but you'll need your old UAN and you'll be into a 12 month contract.
    You were told a contradiction, as you can't have a UAN if your line's not active.

You were told a contradiction, as you can't have a UAN if your line's not active.
    They need the old UAN, ie the last active one.

• Advertisement

Say if it was deactivated for years or previous bills were lost or if the house had new occupants, what would they do then? The old UAN number would belong to the former billpayer and would presumably be protected by the Data Protection Act like a bank account number would be, so only the former billpayer could find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

They need the old UAN, ie the last active one.

The old UAN's not much use... eircom normally use their wonderful address database, but sometimes (especially if the address is in the sticks) it's hard to pinpoint the line so the old CLI can be used to speed up the process (and lessen the chances of your neighbour getting a second line by accident...) but I don't think the old UAN is of any use tbh.

cyburger wrote: »
    The old UAN's not much use... eircom normally use their wonderful address database, but sometimes (especially if the address is in the sticks) it's hard to pinpoint the line so the old CLI can be used to speed up the process (and lessen the chances of your neighbour getting a second line by accident...) but I don't think the old UAN is of any use tbh.
    I'm just telling you what they told me. In my case there were no Data Protection issues, as I had cancelled the old line myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

I'm just telling you what they told me. In my case there were no Data Protection issues, as I had cancelled the old line myself.

ah no, i believe that's what they told you, I just don't know why they'd ask you for it...

cyburger wrote: »
    ah no, i believe that's what they told you, I just don't know why they'd ask you for it...
    Afraid I can't help you there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭eastyy

ok well went to a vodafone shop and phoned up vodafone they cannot find my address on the systems they said i have to call eircom to get the phone activated

eircom will only activate the phone if i take a phone package out with them though :mad:

If you plug a phone into the socket and dial "199000", do you get a response? That number should read back the phone number that line used to have, if it's deactivated but still connected to the exchange.

If you get that number, contact Vodafone on their forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270) and ask them to reactivate the line and sign you up. I have found the Vodafone staff in their shops to be poorly informed at times and not very helpful in comparison to the staff who man the forums.

Advertisement