Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littlewoods taking the piss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Addidas on Littlewoods EU site €79
    Same shoes on Irish site €94!!

http://www.littlewoodseurope.com/adidas-mactelo-mens-trainers/923757083.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f5435%2c5620%2fs%2fbestsellers%2c0%2fr%2f100&trail=2780-2885-5435-5620

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/adidas-mactelo-mens-trainers/923757083.prd

So if I lived in Sweden or Cyprus I could get them for 79 but becasue we are Irish I have to pay an obvious Paddy tax.

GRRRRRRrrrrrrr..... sorry had to get that off my chest

Awesome .. theres some bargains on there .. 5 euro delivery to the Netherlands !!

Time for some new clothes methinks ... thanks op :)

Awesome .. theres some bargains on there .. 5 euro delivery to the Netherlands !!

Time for some new clothes methinks ... thanks op :)

Get me a pair while you're at it so! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So if I lived in Sweden or Cyprus I could get them for 79 but becasue we are Irish I have to pay an obvious Paddy tax.
    if littlewoods do over €35,000 worth of business in Ireland then you do indeed have to pay Irish VAT as they are obliged to register for it. Postage is probably more too. £79 on the uk site for them.

rubadub wrote: »
    if littlewoods do over €35,000 worth of business in Ireland then you do indeed have to pay Irish VAT as they are obliged to register for it. Postage is probably more too. £79 on the uk site for them.

VAT in Sweden is 25% ...

UK to Ireland postage is Cheaper than UK to Sweden.

VAT in Sweden is 25%
    My point was really that there are VAT differences, (amongst many others) this "paddy tax" can in fact be just that, an Irish tax, while I expect the OP was using it as a term to infer an extra charge, as though the cost of processing an order anywhere in the EU would be 100% identical for all companies. I expect they average all the VAT to the european website countries, the entire site probably sees more action and so can be run for less.
    UK to Ireland postage is Cheaper than UK to Sweden.
    Not sure if they do ship everything from the EU, I have ordered from amazon.co.uk and it was sent from dublin, I expect littlewoods might have a mainland depot. If it is all UK based they could be using couriers who have cheaper shipping.

Besides all this even if we had zero tax here, and postage was somehow free littlewoods would be fools not to charge what the market is willing to pay.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    My point was really that there are VAT differences, (amongst many others) this "paddy tax" can in fact be just that, an Irish tax, while I expect the OP was using it as a term to infer an extra charge, as though the cost of processing an order anywhere in the EU would be 100% identical for all companies. I expect they average all the VAT to the european website countries, the entire site probably sees more action and so can be run for less.

Not sure if they do ship everything from the EU, I have ordered from amazon.co.uk and it was sent from dublin, I expect littlewoods might have a mainland depot. If it is all UK based they could be using couriers who have cheaper shipping.

Besides all this even if we had zero tax here, and postage was somehow free littlewoods would be fools not to charge what the market is willing to pay.

No skin off my nose, its cheaper for me here in the Netherlands than it is for you from Ireland.

Just seems kind of silly to charge one price for Ireland thats in the Euro Currency and another for say, Luxembourg with a population of half a million people

You should be able to purchase the product from Littlewoods for the same price and the price of delivery should be seperate end of, otherwise its confusing to the consumer.

Although OP, O2 have a treats coupon of 10% :) if that helps!

http://dailytreats.o2online.ie/viewdailytreat.aspx?tid=579

OT but I order stuff from Amazon.fr and it ships from Amsterdam sometimes, Frankfurt others. Order off Amazon.de and it ships from different depots.

You should be able to purchase the product from Littlewoods for the same price and the price of delivery should be seperate end of, otherwise its confusing to the consumer.
    +1, I like amazons policy, the VAT difference is added when you go to checkout, and delivery differences are too.

Too many companies claim to have "free delivery", and then mask VAT & delivery differences in an apparently outrageous "exchange rate", while really this rate is accounting for all those differences. When you go to checkout in amazon you are (hopefully) not cursing them, but the gov for the VAT.

These different websites will result in higher prices all round.

Advertisement