Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

irishweatheronline predicts the summer is about to arrive ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

18Z GFS looking quite good for Saturday now.
    168415.png

Sunday still uncertain.
    168416.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Met Eireann have changed their forecast this weekend from 'Mild and changeable' to 'Warm, dry and sunny everywhere'

Also GFS showing is not so hot, but still not so bad. Mid 20s would be good enough for moi.
    gfs-0-96.png?6

31st looking good too
    gfs-0-120.png?6

EDIT: Weather looks good right up til Monday now. Thursday we were looking at showers and some prolonged periods of drizzle/rain topped with cool conditions just the yesterday, its looking more likely now that we're looking at cloudy with sunny intervals and slightly warmer conditions. Friday looks like we'll be getting more of the same albeit warmer weather. Saturday still looks wall to wall sunshine with warm temperatures and feeling very humid. Sunday looks like more sunny weather and warmth, while Monday looks like the start of a breakdown to more showery weather albeit very warm so it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Since half the country lives in or near Dublin, I thought it might be interesting to check these daily temperatures for Dublin airport at the end of the week:

Monday 23 (actual 20.2C, country max 20.8C)
    Tuesday 24 (actual 20.9C, country max 21.6C)
    Wednesday 26
    Thursday 22
    Friday 24
    Saturday 27
    Sunday 22
    Dublin AP max today (Tuesday) 20.9C, Casement 20.2C, Country max at Oak Park, 21.6C (synoptic stations)

I've added the actual figures into the quote above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

It has been interesting following MT's quite different forecast to Mets forecast. Sundays Met Eireann forecast on RTE had low pressure and rain all over us for the this coming weekend while MT was predicting a warm sunny bank holiday. Looks like Met are changing to MT's forecast now. Definitely know I'm in the right place for forecasts after my experiences this week. Have planned a nice camping weekend based on MT's forecast so thank you very much!

Hi all, just a tip - if you are going to post pictures of the various weather models (GFS etc) it's best to save and then upload them as then the model run for that particular date and time remains preserved and in synch with the time it was posted in the thread.

If you post an image URL directly it updates itself within that post, thereby the evolution of a particular model run is lost within the thread. It's nice to look back through a thread to see a model run progress.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This low is pushing further south on the 18Z run meaning the weekend could be paved with showers and slightly cooler conditions. I'm still positive of a good Friday, but a little cooler than expected weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

This low is pushing further south on the 18Z run meaning the weekend could be paved with showers and slightly cooler conditions. I'm still positive of a good Friday, but a little cooler than expected weekend.

Ah no really! maybe the next run will be better, that is very disappointing if it comes off, but hey, I'm an optimist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The models are really having a hard time with this pattern, frequent changes with each run. At the moment it looks like a few more settled days before a westerly breakdown over the weekend, GFS is really poor with the low sitting right over us, UKMO and GEM have it staying north over Iceland. Either way its not looking great but hopefully the LP stays to the north

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

Any change on the models this morning for Saturday onwards? They were not great earlier this morning with some of them showing rain crossing from the west on Saturday!! I hope it stays dry until at least Sunday...

Any change on the models this morning for Saturday onwards? They were not great earlier this morning with some of them showing rain crossing from the west on Saturday!! I hope it stays dry until at least Sunday...

12Z ECMWF not looking the best now, especially for Sunday.

168658.gif

168659.gif

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium
    Since half the country lives in or near Dublin, I thought it might be interesting to check these daily temperatures for Dublin airport at the end of the week:

Wednesday 26 (actual 22.3C, country max 24.4C)
    Thursday 22
    Friday 24
    Saturday 27
    Sunday 22
    Wednesday Dublin AP 22.3C, Casement 22.9C, 24.4C at Oak Park.

Current models indicate that we're due some showers from Sunday onwards, perhaps Saturday night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Even a few days of sun won't be enough now to redeem this ****ty summer, a complete write off of a season.

Models are still holding out for a decent Friday and Saturday. Saturday still looks like the warmest day for all, albeit more cloud rolling in from the North and West. Sunday looks like widespread showers but the southeast could escape it all for now and hang onto another warmish day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Models are still holding out for a decent Friday and Saturday. Saturday still looks like the warmest day for all, albeit more cloud rolling in from the North and West. Sunday looks like widespread showers but the southeast could escape it all for now and hang onto another warmish day.

Sunday doesn't look great now on the latest MetO - certainly not compared to how it was looking earlier in the week. That poxy LP is now alot further South so it looks like yet another attack from the NW for us this summer:(

Thursday 22 (actual 16.9C, country max 18.5C)
    Friday 24
    Saturday 27
    Sunday 22
    Thursday
    Persistent cloud did not allow any heating. Dublin AP 16.9C, Sherkin Island was highest with 18.5C

Edited to correct Dublin AP figure which is 16.9C not 17.8C as I originally mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Can't wait for autumn and winter when the days are cloudless yet cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭compsys

Big Tone wrote: »
    Can't wait for autumn and winter when the days are cloudless yet cold!

Lol. Yep, come late September just when the sun has lost most of its strength all those low pressure systems will move away and we'll get cloudless skies!

This evenings models are trending towards a very nice Friday, a somewhat nice start to Saturday before clouding over as the day progresses. Still odds on to be the warmest day of the week though! Saturday night will bring in some showers before rain moves in Sunday. Monday looks like showers and cooler conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I have given up at this stage best day in Dublin this week was Wednesday and we didn't even get a full day out of it as rain arrived by 6.30, 22c was max. After seeing forecasts in the middle of last week I was extremely hopeful,then told we would have a nice weekend, was hopeful again, then saw ME forecast last night uttering those words that makes your heart sink "unsettled"and "mixed" and have finally accepted we will not be getting any prolonged good spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Never for one minute was I expecting a decent weekend. I think there's a lot of truth in the ancient St Swithin's Day legend - not the raining for 40 days and nights nonsense but if the weather is unsettled in mid July it will stay that way until the third week of August at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭compsys

Never for one minute was I expecting a decent weekend. I think there's a lot of truth in the ancient St Swithin's Day legend - not the raining for 40 days and nights nonsense but if the weather is unsettled in mid July it will stay that way until the third week of August at least.

Yeah, I was fairly sceptical of the weather being forecast at times on here too, merely because Met E and the BBC were forecasting such different conditions. Anyway, move along folks, there's nothing more to see. Probbo time this thread was closed even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

So when is the summer about to arrive again? :pac:

Welcome to Ireland, eh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like met eireann were right all along with their 17-22C temp range for the week. Miserable here today like a mild January rain-soaked afternoon. Thankfully Im off to Spain for some real summer weather next Wedesnday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭odyboody

What a ridiculous post. When was the last time, if ever, we had a mild rain soaked January day with temps of 17-22c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

odyboody wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post. When was the last time, if ever, we had a mild rain soaked January day with temps of 17-22c

sorry my post is a bit of a mixup, met eireann said 17-22c generally for the past week which has turned out to be correct, today however is only 13/14c across the east and wet/miserable... we've often had 12/14c with rain in january so today is like those mild wet muck january days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭John mac

Gonzo wrote: »
    sorry my post is a bit of a mixup, met eireann said 17-22c generally for the past week which has turned out to be correct, today however is only 13/14c across the east and wet/miserable... we've often had 12/14c with rain in january so today is like those mild wet muck january days.

Wednesday we had misty rain here all day and 13C temp. while east of the country bathed in sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

On Thursday 21st July Met Eireann put their hand up and issued an apology (from Evelyn Cusack) in light of the extensive rainfall that day over south Dublin/north Wicklow.
    http://www.irishcentral.com/story/news/danny_boy/weather-forecaster-in-surprise-apology-after-raining-on-nations-hopes-of-sunshine-126009248.html
    It was probably unfortunate that the area is highly populated (how many times would say something similar happen and go unnoticed in the far west of Ireland?). Maybe an apology was hardly even merited for such a short lived event which really only affected a small area.
    However I wonder will the IrishWeatherOnline be issuing an apology for persistently forecasting a heatwave ? They are very media savvy and are well adept at issuing press releases. Will they issue one this time to the nation's media and public?
    The forecast temperatures issued by the IWO last week has proven to be woefully down. The original forecast some how took legs and wormed its way into the public consciousness through people such as Ray D'Arcy on Today FM. They continued more or less with a similar forecast for this week (with forecast temps still well above the odds).
    Of course I dont think an apology would be merited if it was only say between folk such as ourselves - weather observers, who know that it is far from being an exact science. However when things get ramped up and hit the national media, they too should put their hand up and issue an unconditional apology.

Thursday 22 (actual 16.9C, country max 18.5C)
    Friday 24 (actual 16.7C, country max 20.4C)
    Saturday 27
    Sunday 22

Friday brought more cloud and drizzle for some. Dublin AP 16.7C, Casement 16.3, Oak Park probably got some sunshine and maxed at 20.4C

I've added in the actual figures into the quote

Edited to correct Oak Park figure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Mothman wrote: »
    Friday brought more cloud and drizzle for some. Dublin AP 16.7C, Casement 16.3, Oak Park probably got some sunshine and maxed at 19.3C

I've added in the actual figures into the quote

Oak Park was 20.4 today, according to the 18Z synops.

Advertisement