Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

choosing consultant?

Options
  • 19-07-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone - I've just found out am pregnant (6 weeks), first pregnancy.
    Im a bit overwhelmed by the steps I've to take now...

Reading through other posts on this forum, I see people suggest booking appt with Consultant (I will be going Semi-Private). Apologies if this seems a really silly question, but how has everyone here chosen their consultant?!.. There are several in the hospital I will prob go to, I don't have any friends or family who can recommend me anyone, so am a little flumaxed....

do I just ring the hospital, ask for an appt with A consultant and let the hosp determin who will be seeing me?

many thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Congratulations on the pregnancy!! I can only go by how it was done in Holles St when I booked in there, I'm not sure what way they do it in other hospitals.

Firstly I had to ring the main hospital and get a booking reference, then I could ring the clinic of my choice (public, semi private or private) and give them the booking number so they could book me as a patient.

I went semi private and was totally clueless as to what I was supposed to do :o the girl I spoke to on the phone was lovely. They take all your details (name, dob etc, also estimated due date and date of last period) and the baby's father's details (if applicable) and put you in the system. Then she asked me did I have a preference on what consultant I was booked in with, because although it's my first pregnancy, some women get recommendations from relatives and friends etc. I said I didn't so she picked one and put me with him. (I'm so glad she did because he's the nicest consultant ever!)

Once she'd assigned me to that consultant she gave me an appointment to come in and have my booking bloods and medical history taken (usually around 12 weeks from what I've seen) and also an appointment for first visit with consultant (betweek 14 and 16 weeks).

That was pretty much it, I was nervous about ringing but it was completely painless ;) and they seem to be well used to clueless first time mums booking in!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you are 6 weeks pregant all ready it might be a case of what ever consultant can fit you in.
    Ring the hospital asap.
    I booked at 6 weeks in Holles St on my 1st and nearly all the consultants were booked out,I did get a slot though but they told me I left it very late.
    Booked at 4 weeks on the 2nd and had a better choice but still limited,got who I wanted though.
    This is Holles St though and it is crazy crazy busy.

Advertisement