Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoking in front of kids

Options
  • 19-07-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

wondering what peoples thoughts are on your friends/family smoking in their house in front of your kids.
    personally i've stopped goin to a friends house because of this,but also have a situation in my house where my kids friend is around most days and succeeds in stinking out my house with the smell of smoke from his clothes(both his parents chain smoke).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I wouldn't do it (but I don't smoke anyway). I hate smoking and cigarette smoke and passive smoking is so damaging to everyone, never mind the young innocent lungs that would be sucking in the second hand smoke! I wouldn't have my son in a situation where people were smoking around him.

My dad used to smoke when we were young. one year I was asking my mum about what to get him for his birthday, she suggested cigarettes :eek:

I completely freaked out and screamed that I wasn't going to kill my Daddy! I also always refused to buy them in the shop for him ( in the days that you could do that) so he stopped asking me to :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Personally, I hate smoking and will not allow anyone to do so around my child. I appreciate the awkward situation when you visit a friend/family member who allows smoking in their own home because the way I see it, it is not my place to tell someone what they can/can not do in their house. I honestly believe that if the person respects you and your wishes they would make the small bit of effort not to smoke indoors while you are visiting with your children.

My partner does smoke, although not a huge amount, but only ever outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

agree with you totally but when your in someone else's house it gets a little awkward.
    i just feel most smokers have no consideration of this when your in their house but why should it stop at just the kids adults are also taking in this second hand smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I agree with you about the adults also taking in the second hand smoke, the difference as I see it though is that you can make a decision to spend time in the house of someone who smokes, but if you bring your children, they aren't making that decision for themselves, if you know what I mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

As a smoker I think its wrong. I don't have children and there's nothing worse than seeing some one smoking around their kids.... or pushing a buggy with a smoke in hand.

If I'm in a friends house I always go outside if its non smoking house.
    If I'm standing near children I will move out of their way and flow of air when smoking (Did this five or six times one day in Dundrum shopping centre but the children seemed to re locate after a few seconds to my new smoking place).

Walking along the street I will curl my smoke back up in my hand to avoid buggies etc. This works well as I smoke rollies and they will go out in a very short period of time. I do this as a I live in fear of ash hitting a child walking behind me or beside me.

I'd be embarrassed if my kids clothes smelled of smoke. I know you can't smell it off your self but I'm very aware that I stink of it and my house stinks to. I enjoy it to much to give up though - I also know the health risks. I would never smoke if their was a child in my house. End of. Same with a non smoking guest. A few of my family members are seriously anti - smoking so I know the answer i'd get if I did it in front of them.

Like every walk of life some smokers are "pricks". I was in a nature reserve in the Arctic Circle and this English couple kept putting their butts out everywhere. I enquired if it was ok to smoke and did they have a place I could put my butts they told they have a bucket especially for them, I eventually didn't bother having a smoke as I was afraid the guides would think it was me that was littering the place up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

tsoparno wrote: »
    also have a situation in my house where my kids friend is around most days and succeeds in stinking out my house with the smell of smoke from his clothes(both his parents chain smoke).

The poor kid. I'd have him around more often so he could get some fresh air. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyeyes

I don't smoke either and absolutely detest the smell of cigarette smoke off someone..:mad: My younger sister smokes and when I call to visit, with or without my children, she goes outside into her own garden to have her smoke!

I will not allow anyone to smoke in my house...no way....

And here is the most annoying and upsetting part of all of this for me personally is that I work part time for a legal firm and one of my bosses smokes in the kitchen so when I have to go in there the smell is horrible and I am so worried about this as I am 4.5 weeks pregnant and had m/c last April and it makes me so mad that I should have to inhale that anywhere, let alone in my place of work!!!!:confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

smileyeyes wrote: »
    And here is the most annoying and upsetting part of all of this for me personally is that I work part time for a legal firm and one of my bosses smokes in the kitchen so when I have to go in there the smell is horrible and I am so worried about this as I am 4.5 weeks pregnant and had m/c last April and it makes me so mad that I should have to inhale that anywhere, let alone in my place of work!!!!:confused::mad:
    Are you based in Ireland?!?

Are you based in Ireland?!?

Yes DublinWriter I am based in Ireland.... and I know it is illegal to smoke in a work environment and I work for a law firm!!!!!!:eek: What would you do???

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Presumably at 4.5 weeks you haven't told anyone you're pregnant yet.

What you might be able to do is privately speak to the boss in question and ask if he would not smoke in the kitchen as the smell and the smoke irritates your sinuses or something similar to that.

There's also the possibility that he doesn't smoke in there at all, but the smell just lingers from him. If he's a heavy smoker, you can often get the stink of them for ages after they've been in a room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Both my parents smoked in front of me as a child. They even made me run around the house to bring them they're lighter or packet (:rolleyes:)

Smoking in front of kids doesn't make them want too. Showing it as a good thing does!
    My parents constantly complained about smoking so I think thats what turned me off it

seamus wrote: »
    Presumably at 4.5 weeks you haven't told anyone you're pregnant yet.

What you might be able to do is privately speak to the boss in question and ask if he would not smoke in the kitchen as the smell and the smoke irritates your sinuses or something similar to that.

There's also the possibility that he doesn't smoke in there at all, but the smell just lingers from him. If he's a heavy smoker, you can often get the stink of them for ages after they've been in a room.

Thanks for your reply...no I haven't told anyone yet as far too early...... He definitely smokes in the kitchen alright as he leaves the butts in there....ugh:mad:

But yes I think that might be a plan alright to speak to him privately...????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Report the matter to:
    Office of Tobacco Control

Willow House
    Millennium Park
    Naas
    Kildare
    Ireland

Tel:
    +353 (0)45 852 700

Locall:
    1890 333 100

Fax:
    +353 (0)45 852 799

Homepage:
    http://www.otc.ie

Email:
    info@otc.ie

At the time of reporting you should request that they keep your identity secret. Your complaint should be enough to ensure a visit and if things are as you say they are, they will find the evidence. I have no sympathy with your boss...he is a lawyer, not even ignorance of the law as his defence!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

You can't avoid going to friends/family house because of this
    the smell is an inconvenience, the effects of every so often going to their house for a few hours isn't great but still there are worst things but still tell them that you don't want your children in the same room as anyone smoking...
    otherwise you're loosing out on so much, life is all about being around loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, a little exposure visiting someone isn't a big deal. What matters is whether there is smoking going on in the rooms the children live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I dont agree with smoking around children, I dont have children but dont allow anyone even my mother to smoke in my house i hate it, I think a lot of smokers genuinely dont realise how disgusting it is to be around.

Would never ask someone not to smoke in their own home though even with a child , id just do my best to get the child out of the main line of smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

wondering what peoples thoughts are on your friends/family smoking in their house in front of your kids.
    personally i've stopped goin to a friends house because of this,but also have a situation in my house where my kids friend is around most days and succeeds in stinking out my house with the smell of smoke from his clothes(both his parents chain smoke).

mustn't be a close friend :confused:

bit draconian, no...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Brendog wrote: »
    Both my parents smoked in front of me as a child. They even made me run around the house to bring them they're lighter or packet (:rolleyes:)

Smoking in front of kids doesn't make them want too. Showing it as a good thing does!
    My parents constantly complained about smoking so I think thats what turned me off it

i agree my parents and relatives smoked around me when i was younger, i remember at 10 running to the shop to pick up cigarettes for them, my clothes used stink of smoke...etc (but then all my friends parents did smoke too so i only noticed when i moved out of home) i have never smoked in my life all because i see everyday what its cost them, they'd have bought a few houses with the amount they spend on cigarettes.

nesf wrote: »
    Eh, a little exposure visiting someone isn't a big deal. What matters is whether there is smoking going on in the rooms the children live in.

i agree 100% and that is why when people visit here they respect the fact its a no-smoking house. Yet when i visit them i recognise their house their rules, if i don't want my daughter around the smoke ill send her out the back to play, or into a room where no-one is smoking but it is not my place to tell them to stop smoking in their own home.

when she was a baby anytime we turned up people were more cautious and would either move outside or out the cigarettes and open all windows and doors. now she's a toddler well capable of running off and playing they tend to just let me know they are having one and they open a window and door to let the smoke escape so it doesn't linger.

it might sound bad but i don't mind her being in the room when windows and doors are open, or if she's exposed to a little bit of smoke. its no more then she inhales when walking through the many doorways of shops/restaurants with people blocking doorways smoking.

i agree cigarettes need to be made illegal BUT i think some parents are ott when they demand people in their own homes stop smoking due to their childs arrival.

thebullkf wrote: »
    mustn't be a close friend :confused:

bit draconian, no...?

draconian maybe but when his wife and himself chainsmoke its means i'd by reaking of smoke and for any non smokers they'd understand.i dont consider it in inconvienience i consider it unbearable.
    just another thought on this some smokers would be quick to tell you its none of your business that they smoke but if they are doin something that is potentially effecting your or your childs health does it not then become your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

smileyeyes wrote: »
    Yes DublinWriter I am based in Ireland.... and I know it is illegal to smoke in a work environment and I work for a law firm!!!!!!:eek: What would you do???

For starters, you're preggers.

If it's a small company, then you're probably shooting yourself in the foot reporting the matter to the OTC. Ring the OTC anonymously and see where that gets you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I don't have too many friends who smoke, no one smokes in my car or house.

When I was a baby up to the ave of 10 both my parents smoked, mom smoked throughout the pregnancy and smoked while I was Breast feeding, in the house, car and so on, I smoked my first one at the age of 5 sitting on my dads lap.

I smoked myself on and off for a year ( in my teens) never got hooked. My house is a smoke free zone

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

what the hell! who smokes in front of children anymore crikey I'm a smoker and I wouldn't dream of smoking in front of my sisters kids or any child for that matter, my friend who is a mother and smokes will only smoke outside away from her children! My mother also smokes she did smoke around when we were younger yet she wouldn't dream of smoking around her grand children today, I may choose to not help myself by smoking but I won't inflict my bad habit on others. If I'm a guest in someones home and they offer to let me smoke I will still go outside!! I wouldn't send your child around there just ask his buddie over instead

guest... wrote: »
    what the hell! who smokes in front of children anymore crikey I'm a smoker and I wouldn't dream of smoking in front of my sisters kids or any child for that matter, my friend who is a mother and smokes will only smoke outside away from her children! My mother also smokes she did smoke around when we were younger yet she wouldn't dream of smoking around her grand children today, I may choose to not help myself by smoking but I won't inflict my bad habit on others. If I'm a guest in someones home and they offer to let me smoke I will still go outside!! I wouldn't send your child around there just ask his buddie over instead

wish every smoker was as considerate as you check out the smokers threads and you'll see some crazy attitudes from smokers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

I would never ever smoke around my child.
    I would not impose my views on other parents but i defo think its gross when i see a parent smoking around their child.
    If a parent smokes whats so hard about getting up and going outside away from the kids?

id like to add that if im at home on a friday or sat evening, i have been known to going out to the garden and having a cigarette. i always always brush my teeth afterwards and im hoping to get out of this occasional smoking habit as i dont want my two year old to think smokings ok .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

agree with you totally but when your in someone else's house it gets a little awkward.
    i just feel most smokers have no consideration of this when your in their house but why should it stop at just the kids adults are also taking in this second hand smoke.

Unbelivable attitude here! They have 'no consideration' because they are in their own home which is just about the last legal place they can sit down and enjoy a fag in comfort, after having been hounded out of everywhere else. If you don't like it there's a very simple solution - don't go into smokers homes. I'm a smoker and I wish someone would 'get a little awkward' when I light up in my own home - I'd take great pleasure in fcuking them right through my front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

It's a bit of a strange one. My mother used to smoke and when my niece was born she used to go into a different room and smoke in there. My sis in law used to do her nut that she wouldn't go outside, but my mum is from a generation that smoked while she was pregnant and all the way through our childhoods every one smoked around us, so she doesn't see the problem. She's given up now, so it's no longer an issue.

The one thing I hate is parents smoking in cars with their kids in the back. Why don't you just hand them the cigarette and be done with it! Some of them even open a window, so the wind is blowing the smoke back into their faces.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Unbelivable attitude here! They have 'no consideration' because they are in their own home which is just about the last legal place they can sit down and enjoy a fag in comfort, after having been hounded out of everywhere else. If you don't like it there's a very simple solution - don't go into smokers homes. I'm a smoker and I wish someone would 'get a little awkward' when I light up in my own home - I'd take great pleasure in fcuking them right through my front door.

Why would you want to effect some one else with your smoke?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

draconian maybe but when his wife and himself chainsmoke its means i'd by reaking of smoke and for any non smokers they'd understand.i dont consider it in inconvienience i consider it unbearable.
    just another thought on this some smokers would be quick to tell you its none of your business that they smoke but if they are doin something that is potentially effecting your or your childs health does it not then become your business.

I'm a non-smoker. I don't understand.
    Why would you start losing friends because of that? A little bit ott.

And at the end of the day it si their business, not yours. Theya re not following you or your kids around blowing smoke in your face. They are just smoking as their own habit.
    If you don't want them smoking in front of your children get the child out of the room. Simple really.

And kids seeing others smoke does not make them smoke. I have never touched a cigarette and I have seen plenty around me smoke at one stage or another

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unbelivable attitude here!
    I can see both points of view tbh. Yes it is your home and you can do what you like, but at the same time if you're going to invite guests into your home, then you should show a little deceny and respect towards them, or don't invite them in.

That is, you wouldn't invite someone in while you walked around in your socks & underwear, farted and burped your way through the conversation, and sat there watching TV instead of engaging properly. Why not? It's your house, you can do what you like. You don't do these things because it's disrespectful to the other person and makes them uncomfortable.

IMO, smoking can be that too - especially if someone has a child with them. Common courtesy would be to ask the guest if they minded you smoking - yes, even in your own home. For all you know, they may have a breathing condition, so it would be highly disrespectful to puff away while they cough and splutter.

• Advertisement

if u read the my other posts u will see i dont really go there anymore,let me ask u, if i was doin something that was effecting the health of your kids in my house how would u feel.

@mcrbaby
    u dont have to blow smoke in someones face to be effected by 2nd hand smoke wot i find odd is that when i go home from mates house is that i have to step out of my clothes and into the shower to get the smell off me
    i dont think he has to do the same when he goes home from mine.

@seamus
    think u hit the nail on the head its about respect plain and simple.
    so wot if its your house u should still have respect for others

Advertisement