Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoking in front of kids

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

tsoparno wrote: »
    if u read the my other posts u will see i dont really go there anymore,let me ask u, if i was doin something that was effecting the health of your kids in my house how would u feel.

@mcrbaby
    u dont have to blow smoke in someones face to be effected by 2nd hand smoke wot i find odd is that when i go home from mates house is that i have to step out of my clothes and into the shower to get the smell off me
    i dont think he has to do the same when he goes home from mine.

@seamus
    think u hit the nail on the head its about respect plain and simple.
    so wot if its your house u should still have respect for others

I know exactly what 2nd hand smoke does. trust me.

I still respect that when you're in another person's house you follow their rules, you do not follow your own. THAT is respect. not demanding people do what you want them to do

Honestly your main complaint is giving about about your clothes smelling? It really is not that big of a deal.
    And how do you know that he doesn't have to do that? For all you know there are smells that he can't stand after leaving your house and he needs to wash them off.

I suppose my point is. You and a smoker both have the exact same rights. Yet you are expecting all this respect but don't seem to be willing to respect their own rights

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

I know exactly what 2nd hand smoke does. trust me.

I still respect that when you're in another person's house you follow their rules, you do not follow your own. THAT is respect. not demanding people do what you want them to do

Honestly your main complaint is giving about about your clothes smelling? It really is not that big of a deal.
    And how do you know that he doesn't have to do that? For all you know there are smells that he can't stand after leaving your house and he needs to wash them off.

I suppose my point is. You and a smoker both have the exact same rights. Yet you are expecting all this respect but don't seem to be willing to respect their own rights

do the tables not turn on this respect thing when you are doin something that has serious effects on someones health.i dont and wouldnt do anything to effect the health of his kids in my house i suppose he might have to shower when he gets home from mine cause he might stink of a scented candle or something

do the tables not turn on this respect thing when you are doin something that has serious effects on someones health.i dont and wouldnt do anything to effect the health of his kids in my house i suppose he might have to shower when he gets home from mine cause he might stink of a scented candle or something

Respect goes two ways.

Make a compromise like get your kids to leave the room or ask him to wait or go outside if he wouldn't mind. But you can't just expect him to follow your rules in his house

Respect goes two ways.

Make a compromise like get your kids to leave the room or ask him to wait or go outside if he wouldn't mind. But you can't just expect him to follow your rules in his house

agree to disagree kinda thing so:D:D:D

agree to disagree kinda thing so:D:D:D

I suppose so :D

• Advertisement

I suppose so :D

is that allowed ere on boards or are ya supposed to keep arguing for the sake of it:D:D:D:D

is that allowed ere on boards or are ya supposed to keep arguing for the sake of it:D:D:D:D

Ssssshhhh and no one will know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

r3nu41 wrote: »
    <snip>

Out of interest what age are your children? I would consider smoking around my children to be completely irresponsible. Whatever about smoking yourself, that is your own choice to make, but why would you force your smoke on your children and risk their health? And as for actually allowing your children to smoke???? :eek: I am speechless to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

He's a troll :\

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

seamus wrote: »
    I can see both points of view tbh. Yes it is your home and you can do what you like, but at the same time if you're going to invite guests into your home, then you should show a little deceny and respect towards them, or don't invite them in.

That is, you wouldn't invite someone in while you walked around in your socks & underwear, farted and burped your way through the conversation, and sat there watching TV instead of engaging properly. Why not? It's your house, you can do what you like. You don't do these things because it's disrespectful to the other person and makes them uncomfortable.

IMO, smoking can be that too - especially if someone has a child with them. Common courtesy would be to ask the guest if they minded you smoking - yes, even in your own home. For all you know, they may have a breathing condition, so it would be highly disrespectful to puff away while they cough and splutter.

The people you invite into your home have the option to refuse knowing that you are a smoker. Cuts both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

seamus wrote: »
    I can see both points of view tbh. Yes it is your home and you can do what you like, but at the same time if you're going to invite guests into your home, then you should show a little deceny and respect towards them, or don't invite them in.

That is, you wouldn't invite someone in while you walked around in your socks & underwear, farted and burped your way through the conversation, and sat there watching TV instead of engaging properly. Why not? It's your house, you can do what you like. You don't do these things because it's disrespectful to the other person and makes them uncomfortable.

IMO, smoking can be that too - especially if someone has a child with them. Common courtesy would be to ask the guest if they minded you smoking - yes, even in your own home. For all you know, they may have a breathing condition, so it would be highly disrespectful to puff away while they cough and splutter.

Sorry Seamus but thats the biggest load of me bollocks.

Ask the Guest if they mind....in your own home...

Also if they have a breathing condition then why wpould they bring them into a 'potentially damaging atmosphere:confused:
    Sure don't smokers "reek" of the smell.

I know its a contentious issue but fair is fair... you've got the Aeroplanes (which legend has it is worse off now as they don't use air-con now that smokings banned), the restaurants...Pubs..Cinemas...Places of work....now you want people not to smoke in their own home around non-smokers.... Sounds extremely selfish...which ironically was one of the accusations hurled at smokers in the past..

Advertisement