Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway sealing con job

• 19-07-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

So im not sure about this because i wasnt there when it all happened but the general gist is this....missus rang me in work and said theres a man at the door offering to clean and seal the driveway(cobblelock), she's been on at me for ages so she says she's going ahead with it for 175 cash, i could protest but sure where would it get me, she tell yer man to go ahead and from what i can gather he's taken 175 notes to powerwash the drive...and in his words.." the sealant is mixed with the power wash fluid".....

i though that would have been a 2 step job ....1 to clean the drive...and then 2 to apply the sealing agent

did my missus just pay some scam artist 175 quid to power wash a driveway??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

sounds like you have just paid €175 to have your driveway cleaned - but no reason why you cant treat it now that it is clean to avoid grass/weeds coming back between the cobbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

would you just buy sealant yourself??...any ideas what to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

xgtdec wrote: »
    would you just buy sealant yourself??...any ideas what to use?

thompsons have a one coat patio seal in gallons i think there's a wet finish and a satin finish whatever takes your fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Best thing you can do at this point is tell her its a lovely job and well done for getting it organised !! bite your tongue while you are saying it and you will win out , otherwise your down 175 and a not so happy missus !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its a lesson for you, Next time you may be faster organising or doing it.
    At least they didn't sting you for more than 175.
    For not much more you could buy a small power washer.
    But hey, she's happy, your drive is clean and ready to seal and possibly re-sand as well.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyhunter

You will definatley have to re-sand the bricks. Thats a big problem with brick paving, people power wash and either don't bother to re-sand it or just don't know they have to.

The jointing sand in paving plays a massive part in the overall stability and load bearing of the bricks.

And yes, you were had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'd tell her she was had, hence threw away the money, sure what was the rush, the guy could have come back.
    Id be telling her, you'd make those decisions in future, if it waited till now, it can wait another little while.

edit: her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

tsoparno wrote: »
    thompsons have a one coat patio seal in gallons i think there's a wet finish and a satin finish whatever takes your fancy

Yes I used this I got about a year out of it, not a bad job but I hoped it would last longer, but it kept the moss off for a year anyway. But it was something like 45 euro a tin, i put it on with a roller and tray.
    Haviung said that I do add the moss clear driveway cleaner into the solution when i claen the drive and that helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lemonade1

picseal is very good

Advertisement